Nuclear Warming?

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

Pretty grim reading. One thing I learned pursing this article is that one of these mines was actually re-opened in 2022.
Meh. Who gives a shit about people on the Rez? /S

In all seriousness, I believe there are areas of the Nevada desert that are still unusable, but hey, nuclear energy is totally safe, say the caved in skull droolers on Twitter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Yeah, Nuclear energy is safe and clean, with absolutely no draw backs.

Just tell that to the kids who went to school on land that was practically given away and ended up getting cancer from it. I'm not sure what this push for nuclear energy is about, but it's really weird that people are acting like it has absolutely zero drawbacks. Silliness.
Yeah, nuclear energy is incredibly safe. This is just a fact.

And this may shock you, but all kinds of mining were done without regard for environmental impacts in the 40s and 50s. And even still today.

But no, you're right, burning the planet and poisoning the air is so much better. Let's keep doing that.

zappatton2

Reaction score
So these are the sorts of things I watch to pass the time;

My takeaway; climate scientists are notoriously conservative with their projections (contrary to the usual accusations of "panic" or "hysteria"), and the present-day reality ends up being worse than prior expectations. Strangely though, no mention of "nuclear warming". Funny, that.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score

And this may shock you, but all kinds of mining were done without regard for environmental impacts in the 40s and 50s. And even still today.

But no, you're right, burning the planet and poisoning the air is so much better. Let's keep doing that.
Other kinds of mining being equally destructive does not negate the incredible harm done, and continuing to be done, by uranium mining. This extraction is also poisoning the planet, and is also part of the continuing genocide of indigenous peoples in north amerika. I don't think any of us disagree that we need an alternative, and maybe nuclear energy right now could be part of a plan that moves us further away from energy production that hinges on destructive extraction in the same way that natural gas is discussed as such, but nuclear energy is far from "incredibly safe."

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh. Who gives a shit about people on the Rez? /S

In all seriousness, I believe there are areas of the Nevada desert that are still unusable, but hey, nuclear energy is totally safe, say the caved in skull droolers on Twitter.

I view it as "the lesser evil". Aside from the dirty destructive, and murdering-indigenous-people mining, I think nuclear edges out most other forms of power generations when we look at the destructive output/side-effects of the generation. Near power generates steam (which is fine) and spent uranium (which is only [probably] fine as long as it's buried in a stable area and doesn't leak) but nets way more energy, whereas something like coal creates pollution and is also dirty to mine and kills poor people.

I still think we just need to slap solar panels on fucking everything that gets sun and throw turbines in wherever we can get wind, and find the best option to store that shit.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, West Virginia coal miner lemme thank you for your tiiime you work a forty hour week for a liviiiiiin just to send it on down the liine

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Walking ghost phase sounds like some pretty scary stuff to me, and a dope band name.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Or watch the HBO chernobyl mini-series. As a horror aficionado, probably the scariest thing I've ever watched and probably #1 on my least desirable way to die list.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Other kinds of mining being equally destructive does not negate the incredible harm done, and continuing to be done, by uranium mining. This extraction is also poisoning the planet, and is also part of the continuing genocide of indigenous peoples in north amerika. I don't think any of us disagree that we need an alternative, and maybe nuclear energy right now could be part of a plan that moves us further away from energy production that hinges on destructive extraction in the same way that natural gas is discussed as such, but nuclear energy is far from "incredibly safe."
Nuclear power is literally our only path forward. I'd be very happy for USA to stop genociding indigenous people, but they do that regardless of uranium. Uranium mining can be improved ethically, but gas and coal and oil can't be as low carbon as fission.

Unless you happen to have some knowledge the rest of the world doesn't, it is our only future.

Or watch the HBO chernobyl mini-series. As a horror aficionado, probably the scariest thing I've ever watched and probably #1 on my least desirable way to die list.
Good fantasy show

')