NuGD ESP Goodness

• Thread starter Nightside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Great score! Fantastic guitars those...you really can't go wrong with them. Looks minty too.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I believe when they switched to E-II they changed the neck profile for this and similar ntb models from extra thin U to thin U.

Not trying to discredit your statement, but is there a reference in a catalog or anything anywhere to support that? I've never encountered it before.

gnoll

Reaction score
Not trying to discredit your statement, but is there a reference in a catalog or anything anywhere to support that? I've never encountered it before.

I just had a quick look at some old catalogs and they mostly say extra thin U for the old standard series models, but interestingly I found one that said thin U. Maybe they've switched it up a bit over the years or maybe that's a mistake.

I've owned ESP M-II, M-I and SV-I and they all seem like extra thin U to me. I've not played the E-II versions but all the specs I've read for those say thin U, including the website currently.

The old ESP catalogs are available if you wanna have a look yourself.

Btw I'm not talking about Horizons or anything like that, because those have always been thin U afaik...

peterbee

Reaction score

Screen from the 2013 catalog :)

The Horizons are still just Thin U

2020-02-05 17_01_56-Microsoft Edge.png

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
So when you guys say ESP out loud do you pronounce every letter or say it like all one word?

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
If you've been saying ehhssp, god help you.
Yes! Do you not read it like an acronym?

Also, I had seen a thread somewhere about trem springs noise. I just put a couple wraps of black electrical tape around the center of the springs and that mutes them without interfering with the spring action. However, there was still some ringing noise between palm mutes coming from the strings from behind the nut to the tuners. I put a tiny strip of electrical tape on the backside of the string retainer bar and now all is quiet. I never understood why they didn't make the bottom half of those out of rubber.

Alex79

Reaction score
ESP is an abbreviation for Electric Sound Products - a rather bland/stupid name in my opinion. I guess their creativity did not extend to the brand name. Fun fact, LTD means nothing (it doesn't mean limited as many people think and claim); it was only chosen because of its sound. Duh. If you don't like that, just pretend it means "limited" and be happy. :)

Sadly, I used to spend a lot of time on the ESP forum years ago. Don't go there, it's not a nice place. :)

However, I do remember from discussions there that ESP used to tinker with neck profiles occasionally without really documenting this (why should they?) and not all categories like "extra thin U" were always exactly the same (like the artist models). This was all pre E-II. Maybe they do all the same now.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
The esp forum was a pretty naughty place, but that changed heavily around 2012 or so. The did a complete re structure and a lot of the crazy didn’t bother signing up again. The debauchery was pretty fun though, if I’m being honest.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Do any of you ever feel like a guitar plays too easily? Maybe I just haven't been used to having a proper ESP in a while. The big frets, flat radius, low action, amazing fret access, 24 frets, extremely comfortable neck shape, extremely smooth neck finish, bridge that I can do all kinds of violent maneuvers without going out of tune. It just feels like easy mode. Almost like I am cheating. When I play on my Strat with its tiny frets, curved board, high action, blocky ass heel, 21 frets, bridge that needs to be used with care, and single coil pickups I feel like I am working for what I am getting. It's weird. I have never had this feeling about a guitar before.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Do any of you ever feel like a guitar plays too easily? Maybe I just haven't been used to having a proper ESP in a while. The big frets, flat radius, low action, amazing fret access, 24 frets, extremely comfortable neck shape, extremely smooth neck finish, bridge that I can do all kinds of violent maneuvers without going out of tune. It just feels like easy mode. Almost like I am cheating. When I play on my Strat with its tiny frets, curved board, high action, blocky ass heel, 21 frets, bridge that needs to be used with care, and single coil pickups I feel like I am working for what I am getting. It's weird. I have never had this feeling about a guitar before.

- I never owned an ESP but played havet them, same with Jacksons. I know what you mean when they play like butter. I can get my Rg's that way too and have tried staying with it that way, but I always go back to my comfortable high action and fat strings.
- I need to be able to lay into it hard sometimes and also pick up over the fretboard in the higher octave area for that fat bel like tone. It just isn't the same for me without setting it up that way. I think I really depends on how dynamic you play and wahtever is comforable, but yeah, setting a guitar up to play like butter is great and makes you into an almost instant guitar god! Easy legato and trills etc.
- I would have a permanent butter guitar setup if I was using it for mostly lead playing, but I just can't jive with it for the way I do rhythm playing, but for leads, it's the way to go cause all those gymnastics become easy.

Latest posts

')