NUGD Signature T Gold Top

• Thread starter kherman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kherman

Reaction score
After decades of not owning a "Gibson" LP. I finally have one again.
Last one I owned was an 80's LP Studio back in the 80's.
9VgeB.jpg

I picked up this 2013 LP Signature T Gold Top locally off Craig's list. Seller was a really nice guy. Kept the guitar in really great shape. Very clean. Only some light pick scratches and a tiny, tiny scuff on the back upper edge which I should be able to buff out. Easily could pass for a floor model at a music store. I got it for $1200 used. I thought was a very decent deal. I just need to put some new strings on, polish her , oil the fretboard and set her up to my liking. :cool2:

Here's some pics.
c80s2el.jpg

J0YzLpb.jpg

With my other LP type guitars.
Cqg1GEG.jpg

Diodati 58, Diodati 59Q, Gibby LP Sig-T, Edwards Sykes, Fernandes Ravelle

With my Explorer Pro.
e4JQzbL.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Now you need a new picture. One of you holding the new LP while posing/sitting exactly as your were in the old one. Try to take it in the same house if possible. :yesway:

Aymara

Reaction score
Congrats to the best LP, that Gibson built in the last years. I have one in wine red and when I bought it, it was the only LP series I could find from Gibson, that had no craftsmanship issues.

Besides Gibson's QC issues, the SigT is a very versatile sound beast too. I absolutely love it. Gibson definitely did a huge mistake, to make the SigT a one year only model. But taking into account how good it is, it might raise in used price over the years.

For those being interested to hear it, this demo is quite nice:

kherman

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I'm very pleased with it.
That house is long gone. I'll just have to have the wife snap a pic of me later with the Sig-T.

I like that it has Grover locking tuners.
The Granadillo fretboard is actually pretty nice. Just need to oil it. I think it actually looks better than some of the rosewood boards out there.

Aymara

Reaction score
The Granadillo fretboard is actually pretty nice. Just need to oil it.

Granadillo is a special rosewood from Mexico, so the sound and feel is identical to regular rosewood. But the color of Granadillo is lighter ... how light depends on the single piece. Some are nearly identical to regular rosewood like mine, some are much lighter with an orange cast.

Oiling it is a good idea. Mine was extremely dry and the color saturation was night and day after oiling it. I guess yours will look great with the gold top after oiling, because the color becomes slightly darker ... that will be worth a second photo ;)

deftones-88

Reaction score
Great looking guitar Kherman! The grover locking tuners are fantastic, I have them on my LP. Great collection!

kherman

Reaction score
Thanks, d-88.

I gave her a good cleaning, new strings, set up and fretboard oiling.
Realized she has a 1 piece back. I see no seams on the back or bottom edge.
Normally, on average, the T's, Trads, and Classics have a two piece.

Aymara

Reaction score
In my opinion the SigT is by far the best Gibson Les Paul of the last 10 years and for the 500 bucks reduced price, the last pieces get sold nowadays, this is the best Gibson LP you can buy currently, especially when considering Gibson's 30% raised prices and the QC issues of the last years ... strangly the SigT was an exception to the later. I didn't see any flaws myself and also didn't read any bad reports in the forums.

kherman

Reaction score
Aymara,
The Sig-T and my EXP-Pro are both great guitars. I have no complaints.
I missed out on the Sig-T close-outs a few months back. But, in the end it was
a blessing as this one came along at a really good price.

I agree, the Gibson price hikes were ridiculous. I picked up my EXP Pro for $900 out the door new. When they jacked the price of the 2014 regular explorers up to $1900 my jaw dropped. :holy:
I always thought the Explorers, V's and SG's were the hidden gems at a great price. Not those 2014's.

Aymara

Reaction score
Not those 2014's.

Yep, but the higher prices are not Gibson's only massive fault. They also changed politics regarding official dealers ... Thomann, one of Europe's largest Gibson dealer, quit selling Gibsons as a consequence ... unbelievable.

These idots at Gibson seem to think, they can take the Apple route and become a "lifestyle vendor". They are shooting themselves in their own knee and in my opinion, that hard, that they risk bankrupcy. Time will tell.

I wouldn't be astonished, if they are the next company eaten up by Fender :eek:

')