Nut problems on my 7321...

• Thread starter Battle-axe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Battle-axe

Reaction score
Didn't know which section was appropriate for this question, so jst posted it in here. Heres my problem. I recently put a new set of strings on my 7321, gauges being from .11 to .70. So obviously i had to file the slot for the 7th string a bit to make it wider, but as i was doing tht by mistake i made it a bit deeper too. Actually quite a bit deeper, so the 7th string is totally unplayable as its so low tht it touches the first few frets. Currently i have put a little piece of paper underneath, and it seems to work ok, although the paper keeps slipping everytime i change the tuning. What wld be the best permanent solution for this kinda problem?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Battle-axe said:
Didn't know which section was appropriate for this question,

You might want to ask Chris. He knows all about nut problems.

:mad::mad:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i guess, a quick fix would be to put some sort of glue in there, without the string there of course. let it dry, then file it back down to where you want the string to sit.

maybe some sort of plastic filler would be better... not sure :)

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Battle-axe said:
What wld be the best permanent solution for this kinda problem?

To be brutally honest, probably replacing the nut. What I've found in the past is that in most cases, temporary fixes are not usually a good idea. I'd go for a long-term solution. Call your local Ibanez dealer, order a new 7-string nut for it. It shouldn't cost too much, and you'll have a new piece to work with.

Battle-axe

Reaction score
Thanks man, i guess ill change the nut then. :agreed:

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
Where are you putting the paper? in the slot of underneath the nut? Because if you put it underneath the nut, it shouldn't be slipping out, so im going to assume that thats not what you did. Which is what you should do. Put a piece of cardboard, like rip a piece from a business card or something and remove your nut and place it in the nut slot, then add the nut again.

This will raise your other strings aswell, but atleast your 7th string will be playable.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
oh thats right, its a hardtail. I dont think shims work on those nuts?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, a new nut is the best option here - you can get nuts cheaply, say sub $10, but I think the graphite nut for my strat set me back $30 so even that isn't bad. A pro install and grooving should be less than $50.

-D

Battle-axe

Reaction score
Is it easy to replace a nut yourself safely? As there is no one at all, in the city i live in, who can do it for me. :ugh:

Battle-axe

Reaction score
7 Dying Trees said:
Replace the nut, nows the time to get a graphite one! Upgrade through accident! Oh, and maybe some cool new tuners as well :p

I was thinking of doing tht exactly. :lol:

I was browsing arnd the graphtech site, checking out the diff trem-nuts available. The only two 7 string nuts i found were the 7 string start nut and the 7 string carvin nut. The carvin one looks more appropriate, but can some1 verify wether i can use the carvin 7 string nut or will i have to get a blank and do it myself? :scratch:

Doctor J

I Don't Own An Ibanez 7!
Reaction score
I have the Carvin one in my Schecter C7. It's just for a Carvin, they just grade them by width. The Strat size is pretty thin, fits a strat sized slot where the fretboard extends behind the nut and the Carvin one is wider, suitable for Ibanez style, where the fretboard ends where the nut starts.

I'm guessing the Carvin one is what you need.

Battle-axe

Reaction score
Doctor J said:
I have the Carvin one in my Schecter C7. It's just for a Carvin, they just grade them by width. The Strat size is pretty thin, fits a strat sized slot where the fretboard extends behind the nut and the Carvin one is wider, suitable for Ibanez style, where the fretboard ends where the nut starts.

I'm guessing the Carvin one is what you need.

Thanks man, i guess i'll get one now. :agreed:

Jesse

iJesse
Contributor
Reaction score
OR

heres what I was told.

you can fill the nut slot with glue and re file it. Ill ask my friend what kind of glue it was if you like.

Battle-axe

Reaction score
Jem7vsbl said:
OR

heres what I was told.

you can fill the nut slot with glue and re file it. Ill ask my friend what kind of glue it was if you like.

I was thinking of doing tht, but wld rather go get a new graphite nut. :evil: If i'm unable to get hold of one, then thts exactly wat im gonna do. :agreed:

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
From what I remember, the nut on the 7321 is cheap plastic anyway - do yourself a favor and get a new nut. Where do you live? I find it hard to believe that there are no luthiers or guitar techs around :)

')