NWCD: new wrong cab day!

• Thread starter youngthrasher9
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I found a Carvin 412V30 on GC’s used site for a great price, so I swooped. Should be a stainless front grill and V30’s, I can work with that.

It shows up, I crack the box open and I find a Carvin GX412 (?) with a quad of carvin branded Eminence speakers. As I was planning on swapping a different quad of speakers into the cab I thought I was getting anyway, and this one is built equally bulletproof, I gave the GC a call and they happily gave me a partial refund to make up for shipping the wrong item with the wrong speakers.

I’m thinking I might install a grill cloth over the grate, possibly a black/white weave.

C64-D7-B20-B491-4-A0-C-A137-C981-E46-F7-FD5.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Damn they actually gave you a refund? Whenever something similar happens to me, they usually tell me to go kick rocks and return it to a local gc lol. How do the Carvin eminence speakers sound?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Damn they actually gave you a refund? Whenever something similar happens to me, they usually tell me to go kick rocks and return it to a local gc lol. How do the Carvin eminence speakers sound?
Yeah a partial refund, the store manager was really cool so maybe that’s why.

I actually haven’t plugged it in yet, hopefully this weekend.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad they got it sorted out for you. I've always liked how those look, such a step up from their old gray carpet ones.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I found a Carvin 412V30 on GC’s used site for a great price, so I swooped. Should be a stainless front grill and V30’s, I can work with that.

It shows up, I crack the box open and I find a Carvin GX412 (?) with a quad of carvin branded Eminence speakers. As I was planning on swapping a different quad of speakers into the cab I thought I was getting anyway, and this one is built equally bulletproof, I gave the GC a call and they happily gave me a partial refund to make up for shipping the wrong item with the wrong speakers.

I’m thinking I might install a grill cloth over the grate, possibly a black/white weave.

Do they charge a shit ton to ship a 4X12?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Do they charge a shit ton to ship a 4X12?
Hell no actually. Guitar center generally ships 4x12’s for under $50. I think the highest I’ve paid to ship one was like $46.

That’s part of why I almost always buy cabs from them, if I can’t find any local deals.

This one shipped from CT to CA for like $43. Literally coast to coast.

BurningRome

Reaction score
Guitar Center is the absolute best place to purchase used 4x12's because shipping is dirt cheap.

I've bought a Fryette 4x12 and Fender Pro Sonic 4x12 (Stock V30's Custom Shop cab) for dirt cheap through them.

GC has it going with the cab's over any online retailer because of this.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Are they the Carvin "british voiced" speakers? Those are proto-redcoats, they came stock in the x100b cabs, they're awesome. Happy NCD, Carvin made great stuff.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Are they the Carvin "british voiced" speakers? Those are proto-redcoats, they came stock in the x100b cabs, they're awesome. Happy NCD, Carvin made great stuff.
I haven’t looked up the code on em yet, I think they might be a later version of them though as I don’t think this is the Xb100b cab. The jackplate just has the “412” with wattage and impedance on it. I know the carvin GT12’s and the GT100’s were pretty awesome speakers but I don’t know about these.

Edit: looks like this probably has GT12’s

Last edited:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I’m beginning to suspect that all three of those speakers are the same thing just different eras of manufacture.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
OK, so after searching the codes, speakers are in fact the British 100’s. They sound really good, a little brighter than I’m used to, and loud as fuck. They have a pretty round midrange vs V30’s or my CTS Super Festival speakers. You can pretty much tell their eminence by sound alone in that regard. I’m still gonna swap em out but I bet they’ll sound even better in my Yamaha 412SV (much closer to a 1960B in construction, huge cab resonance).

BE692175-C659-449E-BE6D-6BDDFDAC13FA.jpeg

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
84-E69-E97-A17-A-4670-8-CCD-C301726-C8-BE3.jpg

Here’s how it’s going.

After swapping the speakers, this cab rules.

It was dirty AF behind the grill, (still is but less so). I have to say, inset nuts actually fuckin sucked for replacing speakers. I had a couple pop out, and with front mounted speakers that meant reaching my whole arm in the cab from the handle hole to pound them back in which didn’t work for quite a few tries because the teeth on them would bend and refuse to set in the wood.

As of right now, the remainder of the plan is to cover the grill with a nice cloth.

And as I initially expected, I did think the carvin British series speakers did sound better with some cab resonance from the Yamaha cab, rear loaded. Someone is gonna love that cab when I sell it.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Reviving this thread just to make it the carvin 4x12 thread! So as you know from the other thread that I copped one of these with basically the same speaker set, just checked the speaker codes and theyre identical to this one. What's actually funny is I swapped this cab out with some v30s and mojo tone speakers and I thought it sounded god-awful! It was legitimately terrible sounding, swap them back to these black backed eminences and my God is one of the best sounding cabinets I've ever played. Why do people sleep on these?

I put two of them in a rather bad sounding 212 I have and it transformed that cabinet too! Too bad I had to put them back in the 4x12 cause that was a good sounding 2x12!

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I sold my Carvin 412 (model V412B, matched with a rat fur X100B) with these same speakers when my cat got sick, but my roommate has it and told me I could buy it back from him if I ever wanted. Options are thin up here but it's the best sounding cab I've ever had by far. I don't even have a working head right now but I still want it back.

')