NWD!! (56k ehhhhh. maybe)

• Thread starter adrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
got a shipment from gilmer monday. i love those guys so much. wanted to let it sit a bit before i busted it open and brought it out. lots of good stuff here, but i saved the best for last :cool:

first up are some nice white limba neck through blanks. might get three necks worth out of these, but two for sure...
d489e316.jpg

next up are some awesome ziricote fretboards. amazing "landscape" effect to these pieces. took a picture of both sides of each piece. the bottom fretboard is mine!! ;)
ad5d67f8.jpg

e4baca90.jpg

next up is a beautiful piece of mahogany for a body. i was expecting a two piece, as it's for a neck through build. i really don't want to cut this in half, and i probably won't. save it for a later build...
c356c551.jpg

two pairs of beautiful swamp ash two-piece blanks...
bd699060.jpg

434dde2c.jpg

now for the goodies :D

marc at gilmer is awesome, and hand picked me this gorgeous billet of redwood burl. he cut it into two bookmatched top for me, and these are the stunning results...

bookmatched tops can be flipped sometimes into two configurations. i took a picture of each configuration, than a close up of some random spot on each...

piece 1, configuration a-
10a10653.jpg

piece 1, configuration b-
a1901244.jpg

piece 1 close up-
1602b4c1.jpg

piece 2, configuration a-
501d3382.jpg

piece 2, configuration b-
4931eb57.jpg

piece 2 close up-
973ed069.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
next up are some awesome ziricote fretboards. amazing "landscape" effect to these pieces. took a picture of both sides of each piece. the bottom fretboard is mine!! ;)
ad5d67f8.jpg

Good gracious mercy... I MUST see this finished fretboard.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
That's some fine ziricote you got there. Beatiful detail.
And that burl redwood!

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's one of the most spectacular pieces of ziricote i've seen!

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
ZIRICOTE :scream: yes i love those woods man. going to be some amazing axes when theyr done!

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
Soooo, which boards go together????
hahahaha what a great question!!!!!

guitar #1. the top ziricote board, one of the swamp ash blanks, and one of the burl tops will meet with some rosewood and wenge for the neck.

guitar #2. the other ash body will meet an ebony top, ebony fretboard, and a rosewood and wenge neck.

guitar #3. one white limba neck will meet some wenge to finish the neck, mahogany wings, with a piece of sinker redwood for the top.

sooo there will be a part two to this thread next week sometime ;)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
that zircote is ridiculous (a little busy for me) but my concern is more are those boards solid / stable? I would think looking at the zircote itself it is something like crotch no? Are the black lines softer/weaker?

yacker

Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen such an amazing "landscape" effect on ziricote boards. Those are really awesome.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
Man that redwood burl looks almost alien. I love it!!

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
holy SHIT! those fretboards will be absolutely AMAZING!
what will the rest of the neck be made from?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice haul, I was wondering if some of those ziricote boards were going to end up showing up on the forums :yesway:

Looks like a ton of wood for hobby building though...

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
that zircote is ridiculous (a little busy for me) but my concern is more are those boards solid / stable? I would think looking at the zircote itself it is something like crotch no? Are the black lines softer/weaker?
as far as i can tell, the boards are very stable. i will definitely do some research into though. thanks for the heads up :yesway:

The burls remind me of the creatures on Cynic's album covers

CynicCover.jpg
hahaha that's crazy mike, it totally does. metal!!!:shred::shred:

Nice haul, I was wondering if some of those ziricote boards were going to end up showing up on the forums :yesway:

Looks like a ton of wood for hobby building though...
haha, i wish all of this was for me. that'd be amazing...

that being said, the bottom ziricote board, and one of the redwood burl tops are mine, for a future unplanned build ;)

Latest posts

')