NWD!! (56k ehhhhh. maybe)

• Thread starter adrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
so... no updates yet?
haha, not really. i did get some indian rosewood neck blanks, and a couple of really nice ebony fretboards. it's just sitting here getting used to the weather :cool: i guess i'll take some pictures of those tomorrow. i also had to make some changes to the above mentioned guitars, and i will only be building two guitars for right now. numbers one and two from above got scrapped. here's the new situation:

guitars #1 & #2

six string
right handed
neck through

25.5" scale length
24 frets
JPM neck dimensions
white limba/wenge five piece necks (three pieces of white limba, two "stingers" of wenge
blank ebony fretboards, side markers only
reversed inline headstocks
fully bound fretboard, headstock, and body
satin oil finish
schaller hannes bridges
hipshot locking tuners
rear mounted pickups
one vol, three way toggle
recessed strap locks

guitar #1 -
mahogany wings
redwood burl top
all black hardware
probably bare knuckle pickups

guitar #2 -
swamp ash wings
flamed koa top
maybe gold hardware for this one
dimarzio pickups, crunchlab/liquidfire, black on black

:shred::shred::shred::shred:

malin

Goujat
Reaction score
great pics. one of these days i hope to purchase one of your builds!

if you do, you won't regret it! He's a stand up guy and I've put my trust in him and I'm not even looking back :hbang:

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
haha, not really. i did get some indian rosewood neck blanks, and a couple of really nice ebony fretboards. it's just sitting here getting used to the weather :cool: i guess i'll take some pictures of those tomorrow. i also had to make some changes to the above mentioned guitars, and i will only be building two guitars for right now. numbers one and two from above got scrapped. here's the new situation:

guitars #1 & #2

six string
right handed
neck through

25.5" scale length
24 frets
JPM neck dimensions
white limba/wenge five piece necks (three pieces of white limba, two "stingers" of wenge
blank ebony fretboards, side markers only
reversed inline headstocks
fully bound fretboard, headstock, and body
satin oil finish
schaller hannes bridges
hipshot locking tuners
rear mounted pickups
one vol, three way toggle
recessed strap locks

guitar #1 -
mahogany wings
redwood burl top
all black hardware
probably bare knuckle pickups

guitar #2 -
swamp ash wings
flamed koa top
maybe gold hardware for this one
dimarzio pickups, crunchlab/liquidfire, black on black

:shred::shred::shred::shred:
Those both sound amazing. Koa on top of swamp ash = :wub:

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
*drools* how much do your builds sell for? I realise this is a pretty variable thing, but ballpark kinda figure?

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
*drools* how much do your builds sell for? I realise this is a pretty variable thing, but ballpark kinda figure?
yeah, pickups and tops can change things quite a bit. i'll have a website up eventually with more specific prices. but for a bolt on, probably looking around $1,100. neck throughs are around $1,300 - $1,400. keep in mind, these prices are only for the moment, as i'm just starting out. i'm only doing them cheap so that i can get a few guitars in my portfolio to display. i only have two guitars that have been "sold" so far, as in deposit paid. the two recently mentioned neck throughs. i'm talking to a few others, and if they put deposits down, prices may start to go up...

How deep is that knot in the mahogany blank? That might end up causing issues....
i honestly haven't checked to see if it goes through the blank. i'll probably do that today. i need to take pictures of the other wood anyways...

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
Dat burl....

Dat birdseye....

dat_ass.jpg

malin

Goujat
Reaction score
yeah, pickups and tops can change things quite a bit. i'll have a website up eventually with more specific prices. but for a bolt on, probably looking around $1,100. neck throughs are around $1,300 - $1,400. keep in mind, these prices are only for the moment, as i'm just starting out. i'm only doing them cheap so that i can get a few guitars in my portfolio to display. i only have two guitars that have been "sold" so far, as in deposit paid. the two recently mentioned neck throughs. i'm talking to a few others, and if they put deposits down, prices may start to go up...

i honestly haven't checked to see if it goes through the blank. i'll probably do that today. i need to take pictures of the other wood anyways...

I'd like to add, since I'm the guy, that the cost will vary with different pick ups, bridges, tuners and woods like Adam said. I'm also sure that if you want a custom body or something like that, the cost could move up.

This is all IMHO...Adam could clarify!

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
Nope, I just want to see what he bought :D
hahaha, i haven't actually purchased the koa yet. still on the hunt. if anyone knows of any sickly figured koa tops, let me know :D

but, i do have a few more pictures of my wood... :noplease:

some nice first grade madagascar ebony fretboards.
80f3b72a.jpg

some indian rosewood neck blanks.
007246af.jpg

and finally some wenge neck laminate stock. 1/4" thick.
a26b073e.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
hahahaha, sorry to disappoint steve. sell me your beautiful koa top??? :D

Actually most of that is being used now... I'm hooking a friend up on his next KxK order and I have 2 koa topped guitars planned and that's pretty much it for the piece.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
so a bit of an update. the figured koa is in transit, and should be absolutely fabulous once it arrives. and supposedly very dry. i will take pics. otherwise lots of fun stuff has been going on...

i lied. it's really no fun at all. pretty much this...
77e9fa9d.jpg

basically just letting the wood sit and get dry. that's a dehumidifier, sucking all of the moisture out of the air/wood. here's my hygrometer. though cheap, combined with another cheapo, i have a decent idea of the RH of the room. good enough for solid body guitar building anyways. a 7% swing isn't bad at all, some days it only swings 5%...
dc2bb82b.jpg

i could check the wood with a moisture content meter. but they're expensive, and the cheap ones can be hit or miss. you also have to poke holes in the wood to get measurements, and are only measuring that one spot of the piece of wood. the most important thing in the end is that the wood has adjusted to your "climate", and stops moving and shifting. a good, cheap, way to measure the water content is to weigh it. the amount of wood doesn't change, so the water held in the wood will show up in weight. here you can see that in one week, this piece of swamp ash lost 26 grams of water...
3ff0b158.jpg

so now we wait until all of the wood stops losing weight/water, then the real fun begins...
f483558b.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah yes, waiting for the wood to dry... the part that sucks :lol:

I've got a maple burl slab and a camphor burl slab both sitting in the KxK shop doing that :lol:

Latest posts

')