Nylon Strings.

• Thread starter BMFan30
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've played nylons for around 7 years before picking up an electric, so I know your pain quite well. The only trick I found was... patience.

Tune the guitar as often as possible (at least for the first few days), tuning it slightly sharp doesn't hurt either. The importance of stretching strings can't be overstated as well. My experience was not AS bad tho, I could usually get my guitar to hold tune really well (for a classical, that is) within 3-4 days.

As for strings themselves, I've had best results with Savarez.
I've followed the advice to stretch and tune higher and it's settled in about 3 days after following the advice. The first few days where I didn't know to do any of this and the guitar would detune in the middle of me playing a few chords right after tuning. I've never felt more like a helpless scrub. LOL

Man that was frustrating, I was almost certain it was my fault or that I put the strings on poorly. I just knew I had to be doing something off because I thought this can't be normal since restringing regular acoustic guitars didn't really have this issue before.

I'm loving my classical acoustic guitar now though!!! I love the strings on them, they sound much brighter than I thought it would since those old strings on there were filthy and dull. I will order myself a Salavarez pair as well when I'm picking up bass strings on the next order, thanks man!

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
every classical ball end I tried, probably 4 sets over the years, broke at the high e while tuning

have no idea why. I wasn't past high e
Haha, it's funny you mention. I actually accidentally grabbed an extra E string because I thought they had a clearance pair in some amazon shop that was trying to get rid of it.

But I'd glossed over the fact that the pack was so cheap because it was literally just the high e string. Which I didn't even regret because that string usually goes first anyways so it actually panned out decently in the end. Couldn't even be mad.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can also get a guitar with a 12-hole tie block, or get your existing tie block drilled for the additional holes. Then when you install the strings, they're routed through two holes in such a way that their own tension locks them in place.
That's actually wicked, thanks. I didn't think you can just fold the lower strings into themselves that easily before. I assumed you had to do a whole knot that I don't trust myself to do just yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How are those holding up? I got two sets for my classical and they both had multiple strings snap within a day.
They've actually been pretty good to me so far. Haven't had any strings snap yet but I grabbed an extra E string just in case when I ordered this pack. Hope mine don't meet the same fate soon haha

What did you get instead of these once you had enough?

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How are those holding up? I got two sets for my classical and they both had multiple strings snap within a day.
The D, A & E strings have all gone rusty on me somehow. I wiped them down, they were nasty.

I don't know why, I actually love how they sound but that's kind of odd they seem to have some rusty substance on them not to mention this quick. I will try something else next time. Probably La Bella.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I gave up on nylon strings. No matter what brand I bought, they were always so quiet through the amp. It’s like my pickups weren’t picking up their sound at all.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I gave up on nylon strings. No matter what brand I bought, they were always so quiet through the amp. It’s like my pickups weren’t picking up their sound at all.
I don't even really have pickups, I just have a literally a mic in there poking out of that rabbit hole lol

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don't even really have pickups, I just have a literally a mic in there poking out of that rabbit hole lol
Yeah, I was just being silly. But, that does remind me of when I first started playing guitar. I had a trem (FR), and literally everyone (who didn't play) asked, "what's that stick thing? A mic?"

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just being silly. But, that does remind me of when I first started playing guitar. I had a trem (FR), and literally everyone (who didn't play) asked, "what's that stick thing? A mic?"
LOL