Obama re-elected!!!!

• Thread starter GuitaristOfHell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I hope he uses the next four years to really get stuck in and do what needs to be done. He doesn't have to worry about re-election, just putting plans into motion and getting as much done as possible. I mean, already he has accomplished a lot however much people might say otherwise, but America has a lot of growing up to do still and Obama has the chance of really speeding that along.

flint757

Reaction score
Yeah I'm hoping he plays a little more hardball this term. He definitely has nothing to lose.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
Keep in mind, we've had a Democratic President, Democratic majority in the Senate, and Republican majority in the House for the past four years.

Actually Democrats controlled House and Senate from 2006-2010, since the slide began in 2006. We had Democrats in control of everything, the White House, Senate and House for 2 years, 2008-1010. They had so much of a majority, they could pass anything without a single Republican vote. And they passed whatever they wanted passed. But never even passed a budget.

Only the last 2 years have we had Republicans in charge of the House.

I'm not taking up for Republicans, just stating. I'm fed up with all of them and the dumbed down people. We live in Idiocracy, the movie has come true.

PeteyG

Big Bear
Reaction score
I'm just happy for the LGBT citizens and the Women of America, they deserve a leader who at least acknowledges them as citizens worthy of as many rights as everyone else.

flint757

Reaction score
I think the super majority was only in Senate not House, but I could be wrong. In any case if I recall the idea was that they wanted more than just one party to come to an agreement on the budget. Logic would dictate that this was true otherwise they would have indeed passed one (House wasn't a super majority though so it would had to have been a somewhat unified agreement in the house). Despite not passing a budget they did accomplish other things even though no one seems to care. :lol:

In any case the House has indeed intentionally blocked bills. That to me is fucked up, "Give me what I want or else", this is why I am concerned about the current setup. Until the tea party stops infecting the republican party bi-partisan agreement will probably never occur again on the divisive issues.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
249223_10151296723207674_1285924583_n.jpg

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
Was it not that the Dems had a simple majority, but the Republicans kept filibustering everything (which requires a 60% vote to over rule)?

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
Ironic to say the House blocks bills when that is where they originate from. Senate actually blocks or just ignores the bills the House sends over, then turns around and blames the House for only saying no.

flint757

Reaction score
Was it not that the Dems had a simple majority, but the Republicans kept filibustering everything (which requires a 60% vote to over rule)?

Actually I think so, but finding info is not particularly easy. A simple google search does not immediately pull up the info. What I did find seems to imply that they only had a filibuster proof majority for 4 months and only in the senate. After that it was only a simple majority.

This is all I find with my minimal effort :lol::

Numbers give Democrats edge in 2008 Senate races - CNN

Both Houses actually create bills that is why you have a House version and a Senate version and block is appropriate if one party creates a bill and then when they vote on it the other party refuses to comply. Both houses bring bills to a vote.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score

Reps did not have enough for a filibuster until Mass voted in Scott Brown in a especial election to fill Tedd Kennedy's seat. Once there was enough for a filibuster, to get around it, they used a simple majority vote.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
Yeah, let me clarify one comment I said. Both the House and the Senate can originate bills. But budget or any bill dealing with money must originate in the House. I was talking about the budget which is why I said that.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
Well singing off. It was a good night for Obama. The next 2 years should be interesting since the setup is exactly like the last 2 (house, senate, president) and everything scheduled to collapse on Jan 1 if nothing is done. I just have my doubts about all of them.

Hey December 21 the Mayans says everything is ending anyway, haha. :hbang:

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
It's funny how much a lot Republicans whined about it not being fair that Obama won through electoral colleges and that what should count is the popular vote (bearing in mind that Bush won over Gore in the 2000 elections due to an Electoral College victory, not a popular vote victory, but whatever), and now Obama has been dominating in the PV as well with an almost 2 million vote gap. All of a sudden, silence...

flint757

Reaction score
It's funny how much a lot Republicans whined about it not being fair that Obama won through electoral colleges and that what should count is the popular vote (bearing in mind that Bush won over Gore in the 2000 elections due to an Electoral College victory, not a popular vote victory, but whatever), and now Obama has been dominating in the PV too with an almost 2 million point gap.

That's why people shouldn't say ridiculous things until they are final that way they can't be made a fool. I was of two sides on the Popular Vote. I wanted him to win the popular vote so that no one could say the public doesn't support him, but I also wanted him to lose on Popular Vote and win the electoral so the Republicans would want to get rid of it. It is so pointless and makes my vote pointless for certain elections.

I don't want to sound like an ass...

But were's Trenchlord? :p

I was thinking the same thing especially since he adamantly stated how it was in the bag for Romney. :lol:

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
He's probably getting sick of being the only one on this forum that far right wing. Although I disagree with him politically, he does get piled on a bit excessively. It might be getting to him...

')