Obama re-elected!!!!

• Thread starter GuitaristOfHell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The honey bee population is pretty important actually. There has been a serious problem with regards to a decline in honey bee population lately that has been costing the agriculture sector billions, which also means lost tax revenue for the government.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
I am socially liberal, but do not hold a very specific ideal financially as I feel things should be taken case by case. Also, under fiscally conservative policies it seems like things like the environment always take a backseat which is something I'm not okay with. Corporations NEED to have their freedom restricted.

Flint, I just might love you.

I completely agree :agreed: :yesway:

Semichastny

Reaction score
I grew up in a town that was run almost completely by fiscal conservatives. When it came time to build a pool they reluctantly agreed, with the caveat that it would have to be constructed as cheaply as possible. This was met by objections by the democrats (people & politicians) who argued that the design was flawed and the town should spend more money to do it right. They were soundly defeated and the conservative taxpayers rejoiced that they would only have to pay a small amount in taxes and the town could take all sorts of money and eventually tax-rates could be lowered.

The fantasy was shattered when the town had to spend millions to clean out mold and fix severe water damage in the locker rooms because they were to cheap to put in a proper ventilation system. Then of course a few years later came the inevitable collapse of the alternative structural covering they used to try and save money off of the construction costs which then cost millions and millions more to fix. Not to mention both these events cost the town a lot of lost revenue.

The Kicker? They built that pool instead of a brand new high school (the school system being one of the towns biggest draws), and shortly after these debacles the school experienced pipes bursting, a gas leak, all but 2 water fountains not working, and sizable amount of infections reported from a locker room which hadn't been renovated in decades.

ps. they also chose to pay almost a million dollars to put in a turf field at the high school while cutting a million dollars from the budget and firing a bunch of teachers.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Now that the election's over are those wonderful preacher folks like Billy Graham going to re-label Mormonism as a cult (after conveniently dropping that opinion earlier this year)?

:spock:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
To the dumbass who neg-repped me, I live in America too xD
Do people really take it THAT seriously? :eek:

Yes... Yes they do.

There was a lady who told me she was approached and berated by a man in the parking lot at the grocery store because she was wearing an Obama hat. He dropped the n-bomb and everything...

Dis be surrious biznezz...

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
Ahhh, but a victim-less crime has a victim most of the time. if you don't wear your seat belt and end up in the hospital (without insurance that is) they still have to help you. Where does their loss go? On everybody else and insurance providers pick up part of the tab as well. And before you say they should turn you away, what if you have insurance, but you enter the hospital as a John Do because your ID is not on you? I imagine you'd like to live in that instance...

Who decides what is a waste of your money and what isn't too? Some people think war is ridiculous and some feel like it is the only thing protecting us from certain doom. Some people think NASA is a complete waste of money.

Personally I think Libertarianism is an ideal that can't be reached. Although I'd have to agree somewhat about the blueberry thing. :lol:

I am socially liberal, but do not hold a very specific ideal financially as I feel things should be taken case by case. Also, under fiscally conservative policies it seems like things like the environment always take a backseat which is something I'm not okay with. Corporations NEED to have their freedom restricted.

I see what you're saying, but I just respectfully disagree. I don't think central planners can legislate every possibility of any possible situation. I think in the case of the hospital servicing the person, it's up to the hospital and doctors to decide if they treat the person or not and then bill the person. They shouldn't be forced to treat someone or forced to turn anyone away. I trust people to do the right thing where it seems most do not. The reason healthcare is so high now is because of this interference.

I think restricting corporations or anyone around environmental issues is also wrong. If a company owns the land, I think they can use it how they want as long as it doesn't risk other people's safety with a basic set of laws, not complicated ones that no one understands. It's property rights. If the public disagrees, there will be outcry and the company will naturally cave.

I'm not taking up for corps, it's the same for all. We all love music, I love metal, most of us do on here. I think we'd all be pissed if the govt told us Metal was bad for us and banned it. I mean hell, we can't even have bake sales to raise money in some places because the govt says cake makes kids fat and I guess we're all too stupid to know that for ourselves and can't be trusted on our own. It's not a far stretch to ban metal, why not? Where do these decisions end? And please don't say freedom of speech is protected in the constitution because so are property rights, but those have been greyed out. Just look at eminent domain laws seizing private land for the good of the public.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The reason healthcare is so high now is because of this interference.

The reason healthcare costs are so expensive is because when a person with limited means gets a $120 hospital bill for having a bandaid changed, he's probably going to default on it. That means that the hospital is going to be left holding the bag, so in an effort to mitigate costs, they'll charge the next guy $125, and so forth. It's a vicious cycle.

Trust me when I say this: 4 years of even the comparatively minimal healthcare that you guys are going to get is going to do wonders for your medical costs.

When my mother was very young is when the concept of socialized healthcare started spreading around Canada, thanks to Tommy Douglas. My grandparents were *horrified* by the concept. However, seeing it all these years later, knowing how much it has helped both individuals and society as a whole here in Canada, they think it's madness not to have some form of national healthcare program, and they're very conservative people.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
The reason healthcare costs are so expensive is because when a person with limited means gets a $120 hospital bill for having a bandaid changed, he's probably going to default on it. That means that the hospital is going to be left holding the bag, so in an effort to mitigate costs, they'll charge the next guy $125, and so forth. It's a vicious cycle.

Trust me when I say this: 4 years of even the comparatively minimal healthcare that you guys are going to get is going to do wonders for your medical costs.

When my mother was very young is when the concept of socialized healthcare started spreading around Canada, thanks to Tommy Douglas. My grandparents were *horrified* by the concept. However, seeing it all these years later, knowing how much it has helped both individuals and society as a whole here in Canada, they think it's madness not to have some form of national healthcare program, and they're very conservative people.

:agreed: :agreed: :agreed:

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score

There is a similar story in every modern democracy except the USA.

flint757

Reaction score
Also, the environment affects more than just the land owner. Pasadena and Bay Town are mostly industrial and a lot of crude as well. their pollution affects ALL of Houston, not just their little plot of land. What you're implying is if I had a neighbor burning trash next door (with all kinds of chemicals) I have no right to stop him as it his property basically. That is ridiculous, honestly.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
Also, the environment affects more than just the land owner. Pasadena and Bay Town are mostly industrial and a lot of crude as well. their pollution affects ALL of Houston, not just their little plot of land. What you're implying is if I had a neighbor burning trash next door (with all kinds of chemicals) I have no right to stop him as it his property basically. That is ridiculous, honestly.

Please re-read my post, because that's not what I said. I said you need a basic set of laws for public safety, so that is not what I'm implying.

Latest posts

')