Obscura - New album updates

• Thread starter chopeth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Man, Welteseele is the highlight of the record.

It's definitely the most impressive track, but being 15 minutes long it's not the easiest to listen to. I love the title track, Ode to the Sun and Sermon of the Seven Suns. Overall a great album.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Steffens RAN guitars look ....ing cool. Sick signature model.

12640474_749509278483046_3153357171918945370_o.jpg

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
On the interview he said he has a new one on the way with some pretty crazy specs. Apparently he's a fan of steinbergers, so it might be a fretless.

edit: headless not fretless!

anomynous

Reaction score
On the interview he said he has a new one on the way with some pretty crazy specs. Apparently he's a fan of steinbergers, so it might be a fretless.

After all that's been said in this thread

:lol:

Thorerges

Reaction score

edit: headless not fretless!

Is it a 6 or 7 string?

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I seriously haven't stopped listening to this since last night besides 2 hours to finish demo-ing a new song for my band. It is one of those albums I hope i never get sick of.

@Thorerges: Did you listen to Nayon's interview? Steffen says he much prefers 6 strings but 7 just makes more sense to use. He didn't mention any of the specs for his new guitar in the interview.

Thorerges

Reaction score
I seriously haven't stopped listening to this since last night besides 2 hours to finish demo-ing a new song for my band. It is one of those albums I hope i never get sick of.

@Thorerges: Did you listen to Nayon's interview? Steffen says he much prefers 6 strings but 7 just makes more sense to use. He didn't mention any of the specs for his new guitar in the interview.

I literally had no time to listen to the interview or the album besides one track.

Yes I spoke to Steffen some time ago, he said that 7 strings were very uncomfortable live for him. However, the entire Omnivium album is written in 7 strings, and at least 2 tracks on Weltseele as well - so maybe he'll just stick to that since he has to play Omnivium live?

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
Listening to the final tracks I haven't heard already now. Another fantastic album from these guys! :shred:

chopeth

Reaction score
Is it me or obscura have sensibly lost a big deal of their compositive power after Chris and Hannes left? Everybody says this is their best album but imo it's not even close to the masterpiece Omnivium. Maybe I need a few more listens though...

Mwoit

Reaction score
Everyone's gonna hate me, but I thought Cosmogenesis was the best, then Omnivium was alright.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Is it me or obscura have sensibly lost a big deal of their compositive power after Chris and Hannes left? Everybody says this is their best album but imo it's not even close to the masterpiece Omnivium. Maybe I need a few more listens though...
Honestly I like the song writing here more. I will agree with Steffen from Nayon's interview, Omnivium was ....ing stellar but it was tiring and most of the songs had no breathing room and way less dynamics. It was just 800 bpm full throttle. This album has breathing room and is much more enjoyable to me because of it. I missed the Cynic inspired material that was mostly absent from Omnivium.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Sucks about the drama with all of this, Steffan might be a total dick but credit where it's due: dude knows how to assemble some musicians even if he's the ultimate reason why they don't stay.
Considering the consistency in album layout and progression between Cosmogenesis, Omnivium, Hannes' solo album, and Alkaloid (though Dyson Sphere is a bit of a detour), it looks like that track vibe formula is Hannes' baby. This is a bit different in pacing for me, not a bad thing though.
The title track is the winner for me, but I have no complaints about the album. That song just has literally everything I want from Obscura: crushing brutality, perfect amount and placement of harmony, atmospheric riffs with blasts, and the bass work seals the deal.
I hope it's not all soured for Fountainhead, Welteseele is a hell of an orchestration. It doesn't feel like a 15 minute song which means a lot to me. I love the black metal orchestra section in the middle.
Great album!

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love Obscura but there's a whole lotta stuff that doesn't sound CLOSE to being played back at the same speed it was recorded.

takotakumi

Reaction score
It doesn't feel like a 15 minute song which means a lot to me. I love the black metal orchestra section in the middle.
Great album!

Thought the same! Its actually the song I've been repeating most haha
Everytime it ends I'm like...damn those were the fastest 15 mins ever.
Fountainhead is a genius!!:hbang::idea::bowdown::scream:

')