Obscura - New album updates

• Thread starter chopeth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy J

Reaction score
Whole album rips, but Ten Sepiroth is probably my favourite cut. That little bass twang gets me in my feels haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rosal76

Reaction score
You know this Obscura fan spent some money. :agreed: * These are not mine.

Picture is from Obscura's Facebook page.

12715394_1082517561768715_7089397609496250801_n.jpg

Sammy J

Reaction score
Yeah, strong TSOP era Death vibe on 'The Origin of Primal Expression'.

Thorerges

Reaction score
+1
And Fractal Dimensional for me also

The solo on that track is simply genius. Unbelievable. For a second it reminded me of Moreans style, but with so much melody and steve vai attitude. Very nicely done.

Fountainhead has played the best leads on an Obscura record ever.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Any of you guys get the tab book? ...any chance I could get just the lead guitar tab for the Akroasis intro? haven't heard a bit of wheedly wheedly woo I've wanted to learn in a while but run is so tasty in context

takotakumi

Reaction score
Any of you guys get the tab book? ...any chance I could get just the lead guitar tab for the Akroasis intro? haven't heard a bit of wheedly wheedly woo I've wanted to learn in a while but run is so tasty in context

They sent an email 2 days ago stating that there was a problem with the production process, thus they will ship it until 2/16...

Thorerges

Reaction score
For those who might be interested, Morean and Danny Tunker have been writing Alkaloid songs with Hannes. We might be getting 2 exceptional prog death releases in 2016!

takotakumi

Reaction score
For those who might be interested, Morean and Danny Tunker have been writing Alkaloid songs with Hannes. We might be getting 2 exceptional prog death releases in 2016!

I saw him last year with aborted and he said that they had material for like 9 more songs :eek: This was around march-april before he left aborted

Another Alkaloid record for this year would be superb :hbang::metal::bowdown:

Thorerges

Reaction score
I saw him last year with aborted and he said that they had material for like 9 more songs :eek: This was around march-april before he left aborted

Another Alkaloid record for this year would be superb :hbang::metal::bowdown:

Yea, it's a terrifically productive band. Hannes and Morean are 2 prodigious songwriters who write a TON of songs (also happen to be some of my favorite). Now that Danny has left Aborted and can concentrate fully on the Alkaloid stuff, he'll be writing a lot as well. I won't expect much from Linus (too busy) and Muenzner has this new power metal band (although maybe a few riffs?), but its very exciting.

I honestly am not feeling this Obscura record as I did with Omnivium, maybe it needs more time - a couple of good tracks but so far nothing is sticking besides Weltseele.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Probably near 20 listens in on the album at this point. Akroasis gets me every time, but have to admit that Weltseele is sneaking up there consistently in terms of favorite tracks. Such an awesome album.

chopeth

Reaction score
I honestly am not feeling this Obscura record as I did with Omnivium, maybe it needs more time - a couple of good tracks but so far nothing is sticking besides Weltseele.

That's what I think too, as I said before, not so many mindblowing moments in this album as in Omnivium, but a few incredible songs, especially Weltseele. Let's see after a dozen on listens with CD and book, it maybe grows on me a bit more.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Let's see after a dozen on listens with CD and book, it maybe grows on me a bit more.

:agreed:

That's what happened when I purchased/first listened to Necrophagist's Epitaph and Obscura's Cosmogenesis album. I purchased the CD's first and agreed that both bands have enormous amounts of talent but they weren't albums I was attached to like say, Megadeth's Rust in peace album, which is my all time favorite heavy metal album. But then I purchased the guitar tab books for Epitaph and Cosmogenesis and now, they're like 2 of my favorite albums, or at least technical/progressive death metal albums to listen to and play guitar from. :cool:

chopeth

Reaction score
:agreed:

That's what happened when I purchased/first listened to Necrophagist's Epitaph and Obscura's Cosmogenesis album. I purchased the CD's first and agreed that both bands have enormous amounts of talent but they weren't albums I was attached to like say, Megadeth's Rust in peace album, which is my all time favorite heavy metal album. But then I purchased the guitar tab books for Epitaph and Cosmogenesis and now, they're like 2 of my favorite albums, or at least technical/progressive death metal albums to listen to and play guitar from. :cool:

I wish I had the same reaction as with Epitaph, Cosmogenesis or RIP, man, those albums were utter love at first listen for me. I think it's not gonna happen here, though I love Obscura and will keep on supporting their music. I wouldn't say Akroasis is bad, gosh, these Fountainhead solos drive me nuts, love them, but I opine the rhythm parts are a lot weaker than in older albums.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Lots of hype for Weltsteele but I wasn't really feeling it, for me the highlight of the album was the second half of the first guitar solo on Sermon. Definitely my favorite song.

Fountainhead's leads were pretty hit or miss for me, when they were great they were incredible but otherwise I thought they were 'eh.' Better than Steffen's though, haha, I think he should leave the lead work to Robert on the next one.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Lots of hype for Weltsteele but I wasn't really feeling it, for me the highlight of the album was the second half of the first guitar solo on Sermon. Definitely my favorite song.

Fountainhead's leads were pretty hit or miss for me, when they were great they were incredible but otherwise I thought they were 'eh.' Better than Steffen's though, haha, I think he should leave the lead work to Robert on the next one.

How many leads does steffen play? I can only count him playing 1 solo the entire album.

Also, Weltseele just needs a bit of time, definitely my favorite along with fractal dimension, but theyre not easy to listen to.

vm27

Reaction score
I've been listening to the cd for almost two weeks and Im still enjoying it. The title track kicks ass especially the solo, can't get enough of it. My other favorite tracks would be Sermon Of the Seven Suns and Ten Sepiroth. Tom's lead work are very intresting. I originally thought it will sound odd with a techdeath band but he manages to create some beautiful melodies. Weltseele, intresting track but sounds very different from the rest of the track, not really surprising. I know the bonus track is a DEATH reimagined song but sounds like it could been the intro for Arkoasis, I wonder why they didn't include it on the title track. Overall it's a great album.

')