Obscura - New album updates

• Thread starter chopeth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vm27

Reaction score
I wish I had the same reaction as with Epitaph, Cosmogenesis or RIP, man, those albums were utter love at first listen for me. I think it's not gonna happen here, though I love Obscura and will keep on supporting their music. I wouldn't say Akroasis is bad, gosh, these Fountainhead solos drive me nuts, love them, but I opine the rhythm parts are a lot weaker than in older albums.
That's what I thought too, it's a lot less technical and progressive than Omnivium, but on par with Cosmogenesis in terms of melodies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petef2007

Reaction score
After spending time with Akroasis, here's my thoughts on it.

Its an ok album. The melodies are nice. Some of the riffs are cool. The fretless overload takes a bit of getting used to with both guitars AND bass.

Sadly, to me it seems like a step back in terms of quality. I mean, there's still greatness on the record - Sermon, the title track and Perpetual Infinity in particular - but honestly, the record Hannes put out sounds more Obscura-y to me than Akroasis.

I'm not knocking the album. It just wasn't quite what I was expecting from Obscura after Omnivium, although I know the chief songwriters from that album weren't involved in this one.

I think I'd have been more open and welcoming to it if it had come between Cosmogenesis and Omnivium. There's things on the album that strike me as being influenced by both of those records, and it sounds more like a transitional album to me. Personally, the issue I have with Akroasis is that if I want the more melodic tech death, Cosmogenesis does it better...if I want the hyper tech craziness, Omnivium excels at it. Akroasis seems to be a bit from one and a bit from the other.

I haven't got through Weltseele yet, I'm taking that one bit by bit as 15 full minutes of tech death is a bit much to digest in a few sittings, so can't comment fully on that one yet.

As mentioned by no means saying it's a bad album, or knocking it, it just didn't blow me away like the last 2 did.

chopeth

Reaction score
6vxIByN.jpg

Rosal76

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting mine hopefully this or next week :eek: :scream:

:wavey:

Takotakumi, did Obscura send you a Email with a tracking number for your order? The reason I'm asking is because I also ordered the book and they sent me a, "Your order is complete Email" which I'm happy they sent but I have no tracking number and therefore, I have no idea where the book is it transit and when I will get it. :ugh:

Chopeth, what songs are you gonna learn first?

takotakumi

Reaction score
:wavey:

Takotakumi, did Obscura Email you a tracking number for your order? The reason I'm asking is because I also ordered the book and they sent me a, "Your order is complete Email" which I'm happy they sent but I have no tracking number and therefore, I have no idea where the book is it transit and when I will get it. :ugh:

Same thing happened to me. I think they never send a tracking number
because the same happened when they released the first omnivium tabbook.
I ordered it, got a confirmation email and then I just waited haha

The sent the following email on feb 11 though:

Thank you again for your order! Unfortunately there was a problem in the production process of the Akroasis Tab Book. Because of this your order will be sent on 02/16/16. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are deeply sorry for this and will add some special goodies to your package.

Thank you for your support!!

If you are in the US like me I think we should get it this or next week.
I got my omnivium copy around 3 weeks after I placed the order from what I remember...

Rosal76

Reaction score
If you are in the US like me I think we should get it this or next week.

:pray:

Man, I hope so. I've been dying to learn some new Obscura music. Another reason I asked about the Email is because I was under the impression that since you know that we'll be getting the book this or next week, that Obscura did indeed send you a tracking number. I never know when I'll receive something in the mail unless I have a tracking number.

I got my omnivium copy around 3 weeks after I placed the order from what I remember...

You got lucky. I got mine after 2 months/2 days. No lie. What happened was is that Obscura sold out on the first printing and needed time to reprint the 2nd editions. I got a 2nd edition printing. I didn't mind the waiting time but the fact of not knowing they were printing 2nd editions is what was killing me because I thought the book was lost in transit. :ugh:

takotakumi

Reaction score
:pray:

Man, I hope so. I've been dying to learn some new Obscura music. Another reason I asked about the Email is because I was under the impression that since you know that we'll be getting the book this or next week, that Obscura did indeed send you a tracking number. I never know when I'll receive something in the mail unless I have a tracking number.

You got lucky. I got mine after 2 months/2 days. No lie. What happened was is that Obscura sold out on the first printing and needed time to reprint the 2nd editions. I got a 2nd edition printing. I didn't mind the waiting time but the fact of not knowing they were printing 2nd editions is what was killing me because I thought the book was lost in transit. :ugh:

I am really hoping to the 2-4 weeks delivery since that should be more than enough...

It took a guitar I ordered from italy 5 days to reach my house so that's
why I am having high hopes for a quicker delivery time. :bowdown:

chopeth

Reaction score
Chopeth, what songs are you gonna learn first?

I barely know the songs yet but I guess I have and appointment with frustration trying to learn those songs tonight after my wife goes to bed :flame:

Thorerges

Reaction score
After spending time with Akroasis, here's my thoughts on it.

Its an ok album. The melodies are nice. Some of the riffs are cool. The fretless overload takes a bit of getting used to with both guitars AND bass.

I only heard fretless rhythm on "Fractal Dimension", haven't really noticed fretless rhythm guitars on any other track to be honest.

Sadly, to me it seems like a step back in terms of quality. I mean, there's still greatness on the record - Sermon, the title track and Perpetual Infinity in particular - but honestly, the record Hannes put out sounds more Obscura-y to me than Akroasis.

I definitely agree that Hannes wrote a more Obscura sounding album that this one. Probably has more to do with the fact that he wrote most of the material however.

I'm not knocking the album. It just wasn't quite what I was expecting from Obscura after Omnivium, although I know the chief songwriters from that album weren't involved in this one.

I think I'd have been more open and welcoming to it if it had come between Cosmogenesis and Omnivium. There's things on the album that strike me as being influenced by both of those records, and it sounds more like a transitional album to me. Personally, the issue I have with Akroasis is that if I want the more melodic tech death, Cosmogenesis does it better...if I want the hyper tech craziness, Omnivium excels at it. Akroasis seems to be a bit from one and a bit from the other.

Nail on head in my opinion. I actually listened to Cosmogenesis in its entirety to remember how I was blown away. Akroasis isn't terrible, just not as breathtaking as the first 2 records.

takotakumi

Reaction score
Looks like I have homework to do :DDDD

qUGBN7Z.jpg

Rosal76 you should have yours soon!

Seems like my expectancy time worked :p

Thorerges

Reaction score
Former Obscura Guitarist Tom Geldschläger Has Choice Words About Frontman Steffen Kummerer - MetalSucks

curious if this is true, because that would have been cool to see (No offense Tom)

As much as I feel for Fountainhead to have to deal with this ...., Hannes and Chris still recorded 2 amazing albums with Steffen over a 5 year period. My understanding is that Hannes did not want to be held back on songwriting and expanding the sound and dynamics of Obscuras sound, obviously he was not interested in playing tech-death the way Steffen did. Chris sounded like he was getting tired of the whole tech-death thing anyway, I remember he said he enjoyed clean vocals more than brutal ones - and seeing his new band, this is hardly surprising.

Now, I don't doubt that Steffen is hard to work with - thats probably what prompted these 2 guys to leave anyway. The way Obscura handled a few things is a bit puzzling to me (not mentioning Fountainheads departure for example) - but given the exploits of both Hannes and Chris since they left, it seemed that putting up with a hard attitude and working so hard on something they didn't believe in anymore was just not worth it.

I actually still haven't gotten into Akroasis. It's a 'fun' tech-death record. However, 'The Monist', 'Ode To Sun', 'Perpetual Infinity' just seem like weak, weak songs compared to the last 2 albums. The riffs in particular, are pretty ....ing one-dimensional compared to the last album, this is my biggest problem. The songs are more dynamic, but then again they have the same acoustic section mid-song like 4 times. Also, the progginess element has been diminished substantially.

I will say however, the highest points on this record for me are when Fountainhead shines, because I have never heard anything like his playing on a death metal record. Weltseele was an incredible piece of music. Fractal Dimension is another major highlight for me (which ends too early, I felt they could've taken the last few riffs and extended the song an extra minute). The title track is awesome, but also - not exactly comparable to Septuagint or Universe Momentum at all.

Anyways, my rant over. Maybe I'll get into Akroasis and the new Obscura sound in the future, but for now I'll listen to the older stuff.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Looks like I have homework to do :DDDD

Awesome! What song are ya gonna start on?

Rosal76 you should have yours soon!

Man, I hope so. I'm like getting a serious case of Obscura withdrawal here. :lol:

In the Email they sent me, they said they were gonna send some extra goodies in the package for individuals who ordered the book. What were the goodies that they sent?

chopeth

Reaction score
Awesome! What song are ya gonna start on?

Man, I hope so. I'm like getting a serious case of Obscura withdrawal here. :lol:

In the Email they sent me, they said they were gonna send some extra goodies in the package for individuals who ordered the book. What were the goodies that they sent?

plectum, poster and stickers for me

anomynous

Reaction score
As much as I feel for Fountainhead to have to deal with this ...., Hannes and Chris still recorded 2 amazing albums with Steffen over a 5 year period. My understanding is that Hannes did not want to be held back on songwriting and expanding the sound and dynamics of Obscuras sound, obviously he was not interested in playing tech-death the way Steffen did. Chris sounded like he was getting tired of the whole tech-death thing anyway, I remember he said he enjoyed clean vocals more than brutal ones - and seeing his new band, this is hardly surprising.

Now, I don't doubt that Steffen is hard to work with - thats probably what prompted these 2 guys to leave anyway. The way Obscura handled a few things is a bit puzzling to me (not mentioning Fountainheads departure for example) - but given the exploits of both Hannes and Chris since they left, it seemed that putting up with a hard attitude and working so hard on something they didn't believe in anymore was just not worth it.

I actually still haven't gotten into Akroasis. It's a 'fun' tech-death record. However, 'The Monist', 'Ode To Sun', 'Perpetual Infinity' just seem like weak, weak songs compared to the last 2 albums. The riffs in particular, are pretty ....ing one-dimensional compared to the last album, this is my biggest problem. The songs are more dynamic, but then again they have the same acoustic section mid-song like 4 times. Also, the progginess element has been diminished substantially.

I will say however, the highest points on this record for me are when Fountainhead shines, because I have never heard anything like his playing on a death metal record. Weltseele was an incredible piece of music. Fractal Dimension is another major highlight for me (which ends too early, I felt they could've taken the last few riffs and extended the song an extra minute). The title track is awesome, but also - not exactly comparable to Septuagint or Universe Momentum at all.

Anyways, my rant over. Maybe I'll get into Akroasis and the new Obscura sound in the future, but for now I'll listen to the older stuff.

I was mainly referring to the comment I linked to saying David Davidson was going to fill in.

Petef2007

Reaction score
Plectrum, poster and stickers with my book also.

The little commentaries at the end of each song are kinda cool. Even if Akroasis doesn't sound even slightly influenced by Devin's Ocean Machine record.

The drama surrounding this album is getting a little ridiculous now though.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Got the book yesterday. :metal:

To the guys who have the book. On the first page for the solo for the song Akroasis, do any of you know what the single "P's" stand for in the first bar?

I know it's not a pinch harmonic because it would sat P.H.
I know it's not palm mute because it would say P.M.
I know it's not a pull off because there isn't a second note to pull off to.

Any of you guys know what it is? :scratch:

Fountainhead

Reaction score
Former Obscura Guitarist Tom Geldschläger Has Choice Words About Frontman Steffen Kummerer - MetalSucks

curious if this is true, because that would have been cool to see (No offense Tom)

I have to say that metalsucks are just in it for the clicks and cheap headlines. What they completely left out of this article is the fact that my interview for Londonmetalmonthly is a RESPONSE to Steffen Kummerer´s incredible unprofessional (and unprovoked) accusations and career-hurting bull.... from his own interview in the LMM issue before (and which you can look up online). The magazine kindly asked me to set the record straight about these things afterwards, so I did . metalsucks then jumped on it, smelling a headline they could exploit.
Be that as it may, this wasn´t the only interview of this kind. In the most recent issue of german "Rock Hard" magazing for example he is giving credit to himself and Rafael Trujilo(!) for writing and recording "Weltseele", among other things. Fortunatly, there are laws against this kind of behaviour and since it´s easily proofable that he´s spreading lies on purpose, the german police will end up investigating the issue. In the meantime, I´ll keep it as before: If Steffen keeps spreading bull.... like this, and the magazines themselves ask me to set the record straight, I will.

')