Obscura - New album updates

• Thread starter chopeth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fountainhead

Reaction score
Thought the same! Its actually the song I've been repeating most haha
Everytime it ends I'm like...damn those were the fastest 15 mins ever.
Fountainhead is a genius!!
Wow, thank you guys so much!!!

Oh and since they now also released "Fractal Dimension": I want to make it crystal-clear that the intro and outro solos are NOT me and I do not wish to be associated with those by accident. This is one of the songs where my parts (rhythm and lead) are all fretless though. First riff in the song for example, or the low heavy section after my long solo in the middle section.....still think fretless on a deathmetal album doesn´t work? :cool:

Thorerges

Reaction score
Is it me or obscura have sensibly lost a big deal of their compositive power after Chris and Hannes left? Everybody says this is their best album but imo it's not even close to the masterpiece Omnivium. Maybe I need a few more listens though...

Of course they did. Listen, in my respectful opinion: Linus Klausinitzer is no Hannes Grossmann or Morean. In fact, despite his track record with Alkaloid and Noneuclid (both of these bands are super-sophisticated songwriters, in my judgement), he hasn't written any music for either of them. Sure, he can play the material with these bands but writing it is completely different.

Fact of the matter is that Tech Death is a near-insignificant niche genre, with a somewhat large fanbase but limited supply of musicians. Hannes and Christian are both innovators in this field, they participated (at least by playing/touring) with the founding members of Necrophagist, and literally took this style of music morphed it into Obscura.

I definitely wouldn't compare to Akroasis to Omnivium. At least not through my listening experience thus far.

However, let me stay that I generally prefer longer songs with tricky sections and novel riffs. This is what Hannes excels at (and Christian writes incredible riffs). Many people however, will find that Akroasis hits a good nerve for them. I prefer Omnivium, it is a classic and one of the best records of our time - but Akroasis is a different beast altogether, with a more straightforward and diverse approach that might appeal to more people.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Oh and since they now also released "Fractal Dimension": I want to make it crystal-clear that the intro and outro solos are NOT me and I do not wish to be associated with those by accident. This is one of the songs where my parts (rhythm and lead) are all fretless though. First riff in the song for example, or the low heavy section after my long solo in the middle section.....still think fretless on a deathmetal album doesn´t work? :cool:

I thought that they sounded too similar to Necrophagist to be you. Also your leads have this really unique, melodic approach to them that is very much yours. Although it ended sourly, I am very happy with Weltseele to say the least!!!

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Heard the album in its entirity today,
I have to say, Fountainheads mixing (idk if he was involved in mixing) and melodic approach influence are fairly obvious. So different from the older Obscura solos.

The fretless guitar and bass parts fit amazingly well and sound so good. Its too bad these guys didn't work further with fountainhead (their loss) as this album will become a metal classic (imo)

Fountainhead

Reaction score
Coffeeflush - thanks a lot! I wasn´t involved in the mixing of this album, though - apart from getting on Victor´s nerves with 10000 suggestions ;-)

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I love Obscura but there's a whole lotta stuff that doesn't sound CLOSE to being played back at the same speed it was recorded.

I can't tell if this is meant to be a compliment or accusation.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I wasn't too familiar with Obscura before this album but I wanted to give it a chance since I haven't had a new release from bands I enjoy for a while Obviously these guys can play (dude tabbed out the Death tab book:hbang: ). It keeps my ears interested as each track flows, not boring. Long story short... I'm enjoying it thus far.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I can't tell if this is meant to be a compliment or accusation.
Me neither. It is not something you just say then don't back up. But, I have seen Obscura live in an intimate setting and I know they can play the Omnivium stuff in their sleep so idk...

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Me neither. It is not something you just say then don't back up. But, I have seen Obscura live in an intimate setting and I know they can play the Omnivium stuff in their sleep so idk...

It's a strange cliff hanger, but yeah, I've seen these dudes pull this stuff off without question. Not the newest stuff obviously, but I have zero reason to question it.

CreptorStatus

Reaction score
I love Obscura but there's a whole lotta stuff that doesn't sound CLOSE to being played back at the same speed it was recorded.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but are you saying some of the riffs were recorded at a slower tempo then sped up?

If so I really can't hear it.. :scratch:

But from what I understood that kind of studio magic will make guitar riffs sound like MIDI because of how full each individual note will sound. This process also eliminates the pick attack and the natural fretting sound of your fingers hitting and leaving a string. For example: any Within the Ruins song -

https://youtu.be/9RCBA2Q0LLM?t=40s

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Been an Obscura fan for a long time and I'm loving this album. To me the band gets better with each album they release, regardless of who their lead guitar player is. I love this stuff.

I also love the title track on this album, can't get enough of it.

Tech Wrath

Reaction score
Amazing album, Tom's work sounds phenomenal on this release. Weltseele was a stellar track, great work! Don't think Obscura's next album will top this without you Tom!

Sammy J

Reaction score
So, if Fountainhead and Munzer are mates, plus they each know and have worked with either Marco Minneman or Hannes Grossman...surely that 3 piece plus Thessling, or another standout bass player could form a pretty amazing tech death band. Get a capable vocalist and you're done!

anomynous

Reaction score
The two bonus tracks are weird, because they both work as finales to the album. Have to say the origin of primal expression is better though.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
So is this out yet and I'm an idiot, cause I could've sworn the release date was the 16th? If not then don't mind me, I just wanna make sure I don't have to add another album to my growing list of "Oh right, that came out."

Thorerges

Reaction score
Gonna take me a while to dig deep into this album. So far Weltseele, Sermon, Akroasis re my favorites.

')