Obscure Pickup Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Wrecklyss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
Most of the threads in this section have Dimarzio, Bareknuckles, Seymour Duncan, EMG, or Lace somewhere in the title. All very well respected pickups, and well deserving of being industry standards. However, the post in this section that excite me the most are ones about other pickup brands, mostly, because it seems anything else is too far out of most player's comfort zones and players tend to stick with something once they find the sound they're looking for. I'm guilty of that myself, but i end up trying lots of different things in the search. Some of the gear i end up using is quite common, others, only a few people know about.

On to the point: I am very pleased to use Vintage Vibes P90s for 7 string, comes with interchangeable magnets, has much better clarity than a humbucker but enough output to work well in combination with one.

The Tom Anderson H2+ 7 string humbucker is amazing. It's hot, but not so overwound to the point that it starts loosing definition. The oversized magnetic pole pieces retain strong signal, even with extreme bends or divebombs, and harmonics jump out easily. It cleans up well too, just rolling back the volume knob throttles down this hotrod.

The Schecter Super Rock pickups are almost a forgotten treasure. Another pickup that excells with harmonics, has a musicallity and liveliness that back in the 70's re-invented a lot of what people considered guitar tone to be. The pickup aftermarket was put on the back burner as Schecter transitioned from parts company to full scale manufacturer leaving the market wide open for Seymour Duncan, Lace, and Dimarzio, but they sound none the less amazing today than they did when they first appeared on the scene.

So if you are a proud user of "non-standard aftermarket" pickups, post what you use and why you love 'em!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Manlius pickups! They're better known over on Mylespaul forums, I've never heard them mentioned here. Mick, the owner/builder is a super great guy to work with. I had a set custom made by him because I couldn't find a set that fit my liking anywhere. I wanted something that was very responsive to the touch, but at the same time not to "twangy". So I wanted it to be nice and fat sounding, but while not drowning out the tonal nuances and dynamics, and he did just that, in a calibrated set, for $100 per pickup.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Manlius pickups! They're better known over on Mylespaul forums, I've never heard them mentioned here. Mick, the owner/builder is a super great guy to work with. I had a set custom made by him because I couldn't find a set that fit my liking anywhere. I wanted something that was very responsive to the touch, but at the same time not to "twangy". So I wanted it to be nice and fat sounding, but while not drowning out the tonal nuances and dynamics, and he did just that, in a calibrated set, for $100 per pickup.
That's pretty decent for a custom-wound pickup!

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I came across an ad for Gelvin guitars randomly one day on the bottom of a Kijiji page, and decided to visit the site for the hell of it - anything that says "THE WORLD'S GREATEST GUITARS" has to be good, or good for a laugh, right? I decided to buy their Demonic Punch pickup set for the hell of it. Glad I did - they're one of the best sets I've come across. It's tempting to think that a heavily vintage-inspired company would make a terrible metal pickup, but they're powerful, clear, articulate, and really toneful - they have a depth that I can't explain, but absolutely love.

I also bought a set of their VIP pickups...they're a pickup with 6 different adjustable output levels. Although I'm yet to find a guitar they'll fit in properly, I bet they're killer. They're also a daunting wiring task...each pickup is 13-conductor.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
My favorite pickup so far has been the Tom Anderson that was in the bridge of my old ESP Eclipse. It sounded perfect for everything. I wish I knew what model it was.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
My favorite pickup so far has been the Tom Anderson that was in the bridge of my old ESP Eclipse. It sounded perfect for everything. I wish I knew what model it was.

If more people were willing to give Andersons a try, they would suddenly appear in a lot more guitars. Great pickups almost no one knows about unless they try out a Tom Anderson guitar. Couldn't afford the whole axe, but two of my Schecters now sound 3x their original price because his pickups were in my price range.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I have an "ESP" pickup i pulled from an LTD H100FM. Every guitar i put it in just sounds smooth as hell with it, like 80's hair metal smooth. I have it in a Squire II at the moment, and it shreds!

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I have an "ESP" pickup i pulled from an LTD H100FM. Every guitar i put it in just sounds smooth as hell with it, like 80's hair metal smooth. I have it in a Squire II at the moment, and it shreds!

One of my friends has a 2009 or 2008 AXE-400 and the stock ESP pickups in it are fantastic.

celticelk

Reaction score
Who's making 8 string pups?

EMG, SD, DiMarzio, BKP, Lace, Lundgren, Q-Tuner. Technically Carvin, though I don't think you can buy them separately. None of those makers are exactly obscure. Some of the smaller luthiers also roll their own pickups, but whether you can purchase them separately or not will vary person-to-person. Vintage Vibe makes 8s as custom orders.

wakjob

Reaction score
I like the sound of every Suhr guitar I've heard. So his pickups are great?

Mad House Design... shout out to Rayne!

Those Naylor Railhammer pickups look cool. Rails under the wound strings, slugs for the plain strings.

And I have to give props out to the old man... Bill Wilde. Bill & Becky make great PU's.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
EMG, SD, DiMarzio, BKP, Lace, Lundgren, Q-Tuner. Technically Carvin, though I don't think you can buy them separately. None of those makers are exactly obscure. Some of the smaller luthiers also roll their own pickups, but whether you can purchase them separately or not will vary person-to-person. Vintage Vibe makes 8s as custom orders.

I'm familiar with the 8 string pups available from the big names. I was just wondering what small/little known pups makers are making 8 string pups atm.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
Railhammers are excellent. I've got an Anvil and a Chisel and I love them to death. The half blade/half polepiece look scares some people off, but I dig the effect. I'm guilty of changing pickups like I change socks, but Railhammers have found a permanent home in one of my guitars.

Other enjoyable obscurities..

Dragonfires are killer for the price. Their version of EMGs are very, very close to an 81/85 set. The screamers sounded similar to D-Activators to me...for 30 bucks.

I've got a WCR Icebucker hanging around - it's like making John Schaffer out of wire and magnets. Put it in a Les Paul and you've got instant Iced Earth. It's not as tight as a Lundgren, but it's a great rhythm pickup.

I'm also in love with a Swineshead Venom that I found. I'm amazed at how powerful and edgy of a rhythm sound it has...it's a shame the company disappeared. I keep a vigilant watch on eBay for other Swinesheads - at this point, I'd buy any of them.

And finally, maybe it's not that obscure to SS folk, but I have an older Medium Z Q-Tuner that is really unique. Aside from being bizarre to wire, totally strange in size, and kind of aesthetically gross (the plastic is all yellowed out and cracked), it sounds fantastic. There's a distinctive single coil frequency range..but with the power and fullness of a humbucker.

I've also got Suhrs, Joe Bardens, one by a random company called Zhangbucker, and a Black Water set, but I'm not sold on any of them yet.

Eventually I'm going to try everything...-everything-.

wakjob

Reaction score
Railhammers are excellent. I've got an Anvil and a Chisel and I love them to death. The half blade/half polepiece look scares some people off, but I dig the effect. I'm guilty of changing pickups like I change socks, but Railhammers have found a permanent home in one of my guitars.

Eventually I'm going to try everything...-everything-.

Could you go a little into the differences between the Anvil and Chisel?

And I agree with you, you need to try everything. :agreed:

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
Could you go a little into the differences between the Anvil and Chisel?

It's a little hard to compare the two since I haven't tried them in identical positions - I've never had a Chisel bridge. I'm not great at quantitative tone chart style descriptions, but I will say that the Anvil has more power, and the bladed side sounds more like a blade than in the Chisel. There's a lot of L-500XL character in the Anvil - punch and cut, but without as much of a buzzsaw edge. The Chisel isn't quite as punchy, and it seems like it doesn't have the same amount of mids, but it still cuts. Both of them have great balance, although you can definitely tell which strings have the blades and which ones have the polepieces. I want to try turning them around someday to see how big of a difference it makes. Either way, I definitely recommend giving them a try. They've got a really slick new chrome cover option...makes me want to buy the rest.

And I didn't know Zhangbucker was a well known company to anyone, but I can see how vintage folks would be into his designs. I think I found them by googling pickups one day and scrolling until I found a name I didn't know. Shows how much I know about vintage circles!

Latest posts

')