Octavarium: Return of the REAL Dream Theater

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seven skrang

Reaction score
dream theater is one of the few bands that get better with age, they never strayed

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
They may not have strayed, they just fell off the map for a while, between SFAM and Octavarium. ;)

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm liking the title track more and more every time I hear it. It actually made me go back and listen to the songs it directly quotes this weekend, too. ("Supper's Ready" and "Cinema Show" by Genesis, "Careful With That Axe Eugene" by Floyd, "Machine Messiah" by Yes, etc). I think it's also raised my opinion of ToT a bit. I can't say I'm really overwhelmed by the rest of the album yet, but that may come.
I will say though that if you are into prog in general and not just prog with overwhelming guitar riffs, then the Genesis live album "Seconds Out" should be in your collection. It's a simply astounding album by a great, great band. Get it used or something, but get it. Then get Yessongs :D

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
OK I have had this disc for like a week and now I can safely say...bleh.

I just cant find anything about it that I can really dig...

IMO The production values are are not that great, there are too many poorly sequenced keyboard solos and LaBries vocals get on my nerves.

I have several DT cds but the only ones I really listen to are the First Disc and Train of Thought (Both of which I Dig)

3 out of 5

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, after the last week of listening to it incessantly, I've give it a 6 out of 10.

The Root Of All Evil - It's pretty good...it's a solid rock song ala "As I Am" :yesway:

The Answer Lies Within - BEYOND fucking cheesy & filled with cliches :noway:

These Walls - I like the music, but the verse vocals are really monotone :yesway:

I Walk Beside You - Post-1990 U2 anyone? Ugh. Pass. :noway:

Panic Attack - Heavy and technical! My cup of tea. :metal:

Never Enough - Again, a good solid rock song. :yesway:

Sacrificed Sons - I like it's creepy vibe, plus the lyrics reflect a similiar feeling most of us share. :yesway:

Octavarium - A great balance of 70s prog vibe with definative DT style. :metal:

FoxMustang

Reaction score
Grrr, still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail, damn online place put it on backorder after I placed my order (and I'm too fucking cheap to cancel and go buy it locally :lol: ).

Oh well, I did buy Falling Into Infinity at the same time and I'm rocking that out for the time being.

seven skrang

Reaction score
BucketBot said:
My biggest gripe about DT. All those damn noodly keyboard solos. The last album I bought was "Scenes From A Memory" and I will not buy another one until they fire the keyboard player. :evil:
listen you!!! JORDAN RUDESS IS A MUUSICAL GENIUS ok im a guitar player and i realize that he is probably the mostbad ass in that band
ok ,noodly my ass

seven skrang

Reaction score
Vegetta said:
OK I have had this disc for like a week and now I can safely say...bleh.

I just cant find anything about it that I can really dig...

IMO The production values are are not that great, there are too many poorly sequenced keyboard solos and LaBries vocals get on my nerves.

I have several DT cds but the only ones I really listen to are the First Disc and Train of Thought (Both of which I Dig)

3 out of 5
i keep an open mind and to date, they are flawless absulutely, the god of bands

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
seven skrang said:

Easy, Tiger. Most of us are DT fans, if not DIEHARD DT fans. An opinion is just an opinion. The sounds of their CD varies depending on which era you're referring to. Most have a favorite era of the band & every other CD gets compared to that. There's no need to get all excited just because someone sees this album differently than you.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
seven skrang said:
Whoa. This isnt Behemoth we're talking about. This is Dream Theater.
They have their ups and downs. It all depends on the albums.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
Every band has up and downs anyways, it's a simple matter of taste.
I ,for one; loathe most of their earliest work.

seven skrang

Reaction score
Hawksmoor said:
Every band has up and downs anyways, it's a simple matter of taste.
I ,for one; loathe most of their earliest work.
yeah well, you just started not to long ago, further on down the line youll like its
. all of their music is like miracle grow for the mind

seven skrang

Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Whoa. This isnt Behemoth we're talking about. This is Dream Theater.
They have their ups and downs. It all depends on the albums.
What is behemoth? and no im not a yellow dog dream theater fan but, i havent heard an album from them that didnt slam my ass into the ground, pick me up, and do it again, there guys are a real instition.

seven skrang

Reaction score
Shannon said:
Easy, Tiger. Most of us are DT fans, if not DIEHARD DT fans. An opinion is just an opinion. The sounds of their CD varies depending on which era you're referring to. Most have a favorite era of the band & every other CD gets compared to that. There's no need to get all excited just because someone sees this album differently than you.
dude thats not excited, if someone was really talking shit, then i would be excited, peoples opinions are fine when they make sense

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
seven skrang said:
What is behemoth? and no im not a yellow dog dream theater fan but, i havent heard an album from them that didnt slam my ass into the ground, pick me up, and do it again, there guys are a real instition.
you make them sound like death metal ;p
I, personally slept through Awake, Falling Into Infinity and 6 degrees,

Status
Not open for further replies.
')