Octavarium: Return of the REAL Dream Theater

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
seven skrang said:
uh no, du its dream theater

Are you sure you know DT? On the last albums they made more time signature changes than you or I change underpants... Hence my wondering why the hell they strayed from that ( musically interresting ) path.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, that didn't really hit me, but it really IS pretty straight - a lot of 4/4 and some 6/8, with the occasional changeups.

Maybe that's why I like this one so much - it's very groove oriented, very riff based. That's what I liked so much about the OSI album (aside from the fact Kevin Moore's a musical genius), that it had it's progressive moments (some VERY progressive, particularly "Horseshoes and B-52's" and "Standbye (looks like rain)," the former where they go from 4/4 to 5/4 and on up over the course of the song, and the latter I have no idea what it's written in - gotta be something like 17/4, but it's so well done you don't even notice how complex it is, because it sounds like a simple pop song until you start counting), because they never let the theory get in the way of the groove.

-D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm kinda a fan. :)

If you see it, grab OSI while you're at it. OSI II is alledgedly (ok, it's not alledged, Moore confirmed it) in the works, and the first was in a dead heat with Gordian Knot's "Emergent" for album of the year in '03, IMO.

-D

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hawksmoor said:
Are you sure you know DT? On the last albums they made more time signature changes than you or I change underpants... Hence my wondering why the hell they strayed from that ( musically interresting ) path.

I have a feeling he hasn't listened to it yet.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew, Are you going to get a CST?
OSI? I'll pick it up :yesway: Also that Neil Zaza which Im still in the process of getting. ;)
I've been meaning to get Octavarium so it's about time I go and get it this weekend. :hbang:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Easter Bunny (carefully disguised as an UPS delivery guy - the fact that it's nowhere near Easter is of course part of the guise) dropped one off on my front porch yesterday.

It owns without remorse. In fact, it owns in such a way that it probably doesn't even know what remorse IS.

-D

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
While you're buying OSI, get Fates Warning's last album "X" from last year. Both are way better than recent Dream Theater, IMO

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Been meaning to grab "A Pleasant Shade of Grey" for about a million and a half years, and as a huge KM fan, that's where I'll start, but if it doesn't suck (which it shouldn't), I'll hit that one next, bro. :agreed:

-D

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I like FW a lot more than DT, always have, but they aren't what they used to be either. FW without Frank is sorta like Queensryche now without Chis Degarmo, just not the same.

Parallels and Inside Out are still my favorites from them.

Pleasant Shade of Grey is weird, so is Disconnected for that matter. X is a bit more of a 'rock/metal' CD, IMO.

I've been looking for something to fill the Prog Metal void all these bands are leaving.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
I like FW a lot more than DT, always have, but they aren't what they used to be either. FW without Frank is sorta like Queensryche now without Chis Degarmo, just not the same.

Parallels and Inside Out are still my favorites from them.

Pleasant Shade of Grey is weird, so is Disconnected for that matter. X is a bit more of a 'rock/metal' CD, IMO.

I've been looking for something to fill the Prog Metal void all these bands are leaving.

I totally agree with you about Frank not being in Fates anymore. They just haven't been the same band since. Parallels and Perfect Symmetry are my favorites. Although, I put on X the other day and it really hit me that it's a damn good album. Albeit, not a prog metal album but a very good blend of metal and rock that doesn't have that blah Fates sound the last couple albums had.

I also agree 100% on your view of Queensyche and Chris DeGarmo. Chris was Queensryche in my opinion. Tribe (which Chirs co-wrote) is the only Queensryche album I can tolerate from the last 12 years.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
YYZ2112 said:
I totally agree with you about Frank not being in Fates anymore. They just haven't been the same band since. Parallels and Perfect Symmetry are my favorites. Although, I put on X the other day and it really hit me that it's a damn good album. Albeit, not a prog metal album but a very good blend of metal and rock that doesn't have that blah Fates sound the last couple albums had.

I also agree 100% on your view of Queensyche and Chris DeGarmo. Chris was Queensryche in my opinion. Tribe (which Chirs co-wrote) is the only Queensryche album I can tolerate from the last 12 years.

Yeah, there's this interplay between the guitarists in these bands, and that's hard to get with one guitarist(FW) or someone new(QR). Though Promised Land was the last QR that kept my attention. Mindcrime/Empire was definitely their peak for me.

If you miss old QR I would check out Ion Vein. Their singer sounds like Geoff Tate so much so that I though for a second that it was a side project. Music is a little more Power than Prog, but still cool. Think they use a 7 string too? Not 100% positive.

Getting a band to fill FW's old shoes is a pain in the butt. The bands that have the tone don't usually have the epic vision FW had on stuff like "The Eleventh Hour". Oh well, I usually just pull out the back catalog, it's easier that way. ;)

Either way, I'd rather they make rock/weird records than half-ass metal cds... :flame:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
While you're buying OSI, get Fates Warning's last album "X" from last year. Both are way better than recent Dream Theater, IMO
I heard some of it and liked it.:yesway: I've always like Fates Warning but I have not been listening to them for a while. My friend has it and I definately liked what I heard.

Chris, I just saw Drew's CST. :lol: Thanks.;)

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
Chris said:
I have a feeling he hasn't listened to it yet.

Heard quite a bit at my ex-drummers house, and to my feeling it is a lot " straighter" timewise than previous efforts.
'nuff said.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
Hell, Fates Warning without John Arch isnt worth listening to, IMO.

seven skrang

Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
you make them sound like death metal ;p
I, personally slept through Awake, Falling Into Infinity and 6 degrees,
i only describe there music like that becasue it is best of both worlds, heaviness and melodocism

seven skrang

Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Hell, Fates Warning without John Arch isnt worth listening to, IMO.
any body that likes hatebreed and thinks dream theater isnt the way they used to be
dude there simply the best hands down.woah butchered that one woops
nm

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
seven skrang said:
any body that likes hatebreed and thinks dream theater isnt the way they used to be
dude there simply the best hands down.woah butchered that one woops
nm

Hatebreeder is a Children Of Bodom song...... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')