Octavarium: Return of the REAL Dream Theater

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seven skrang

Reaction score
Hawksmoor said:
Heard quite a bit at my ex-drummers house, and to my feeling it is a lot " straighter" timewise than previous efforts.
'nuff said.
i ahve listened to it quite a bit and i love it

seven skrang

Reaction score
Hawksmoor said:
Are you sure you know DT? On the last albums they made more time signature changes than you or I change underpants... Hence my wondering why the hell they strayed from that ( musically interresting ) path.
check ou6t he part when labrie is screami ng trapped in side this octavarium
im most positive tere is more and yeah ive been a die hard fan since 02

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
I've been listening to the cd and love it. It's not a shred album like T.O.T. was. Which is cool as much as I love John's tech it get a little repetitive after awhile. Myung however I could listen to him on that bass all day.
I like the approach they took with this album it's about lyrics, arrangement, production. I can't believe how many songs John P. has written for this band. The guy is a freak for sure, so much talent there.

~A

Padraig

Reaction score
This is pretty class cd. Much better than Tot. I love the more melodic side Dream Theater are showing again.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Padraig said:
This is pretty class cd. Much better than Tot. I love the more melodic side Dream Theater are showing again.

Definitely. I couldn't agree more.

tonewhore

Double down baby
Reaction score
It sounds like he used the seven in panic attack if not these walls too.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
seven skrang said:
check ou6t he part when labrie is screami ng trapped in side this octavarium
im most positive tere is more and yeah ive been a die hard fan since 02

Since '02? Dude... I got on the bandwagon back in '99, and even I'm a latecomer. '02 is what, 6DOIT and Tot? Neither of those albums are indicative of Dream Theater as a band, IMO - those two discs are much straighter and less progressive, particularly Tot.

And anywaym you're pointing to one little section of the title track as proof they're mostly in 4/4? :rolleyes:

-D

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dream Theater has had following in NY since the late 80's. I saw them back then, but I'm pretty sure LaBrie wasn't the vocalist. They were awesome, but they were no Zebra ;) I only really started to get into them in the mid 90's. In the late 80's I thought they wouldn't last, as no one cared that much about prog bands. It was all hair, posing, and gay pirate clothing. :lol: And guitars with graphics. I still LOVE the 80's guitars with graphics.
But anyway, the song 'Octavarium' is my favorite on the disk, I like everything about it. Every DT album will be a departure from the last one, so once you ge used to that it's all good I suppose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
')