Octavarium

• Thread starter Hellbound
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nienturi

Reaction score
This is the review of Octa by me
Great Piece from Dream Thater

It was a matter of arguement of Dream Thater's new studio album. Last two of their studio album devided the fans all over the world generally in two part; first group is included by the fans who likes ToT and 6DoIT albums and next ones who hate those ToT and 6DoIT. Personally, i coundt love them as their past albums but at the same time i believe their essence has a penetrating difficulty, moreover, if anyone can penetrate once, get lost within them.I listened this "OCTAVARIUM" with no expectations. An what i've found? "Root of Evil" is a natural follower of ToT sound. Heavy song but keyboards are more hearable than ToT.Second track "Answer Lies Within" is one of the best in Octa. slowly processing song. Enterence of strack remind ed me Pink Floyd's "High Hopes". LaBrie reaches another peak in this. Excellent. Especially in desperate hours, anyone can find his/her all answers lie within."These Walls" has very great keyboard and guitar parts. It is a qualified new era Dream Thater track. Be careful for Portoy in the silence parts of the song. Impressive."I Walk Beside You" is a song with new experiments on vocal parts for Dream Theater. U2-like vocals are waiting to be liked. Not bad. But nothing more than "not bad". "Panic Attack" is a transition song between 6DoIT and ToT.It has only a few "Muse" like vocals on it.They dont dominate whole. Solos are truely excellent."Never Enough" is more "Muse" sounded track. After 03:30 song gets another vision via Petrucci's guitar tricks. "Octavarium" is truely a progressive metal masterpiece.Tribute to the progressive rock legends from Dream Theater. A modern Vintage. It has five parts as "Someone like him", "Medicate(awakening)", "Full Circle", "Intervals", "Razor's Edge". Total running time is 23 min. Flutes, achoustic guitars, electric guitars, lyrics, drums are all awasome. But keyboards have a spesific "peak" on this album.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Really? The U-2 vocals on "I Walk Beside You" is one of the reasons I consider that the worst DT song in existance :lol: I seriously hate that song.

Good review otherwise ;)

Reaction score
Scenes from a memory isnt just THEIR best album. Its THE best album ever. I almost cry evertime I listen to it from beginning to end... its perfect. 10/10.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I still like "Panic Attack" the best off of Octavarium, though. That song just gets me pumped.

You need to get into some Muse. :agreed: Import "Origin of Symmetry," it's pricey but you'll thank me.

Meanwhile, how the fuck has this not turned into an "Awake" love-fest? "Awake" > *.

nienturi

Reaction score
The best side for me, of the song called "Octavarium" is the referees to the prog rock legends. I can hear Floyd, ELP, Yes, even Marillion :) But this "hearing" is not like anything else cloned. It is something like solar energy. Gather the energy of sun light and then get it to anything else... It may be confusing instance but it can work somehow :p

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
You need to get into some Muse. :agreed: Import "Origin of Symmetry," it's pricey but you'll thank me.

Meanwhile, how the fuck has this not turned into an "Awake" love-fest? "Awake" > *.

Sweet, I'll look into it :yesway:

I've never understood why so many people are so obsessed with "Awake." I mean, it truly is a great album, although I prefer most other DT albums over it :shrug:

Lots of cool 7-string riffage on that one, that album, though. "The Mirror" FTW :hbang:

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score

sorry...havent read the thraed lately....

Awake is my favorite....cause its my favorite :D
:wub:

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score

Awake is definitely DT's most original sounding album, period! And it is also my fav DT album.

That said, I thought this thread is about Octavarium the album?

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
Prior to reading this thread, I only had listened to Train of Thought. I like this album. The vocals seem more complementary to the music than on Train of Thought (imo). LaBrie is listenable for me on this album. I was shocked.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
Really? The U-2 vocals on "I Walk Beside You" is one of the reasons I consider that the worst DT song in existance :lol: I seriously hate that song.

Good review otherwise ;)

i think its a great song. nothing wrong with a band showing a little variety in what they do. and lebrie woops bonos ass anyday. :fawk:

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Prior to reading this thread, I only had listened to Train of Thought. I like this album. The vocals seem more complementary to the music than on Train of Thought (imo). LaBrie is listenable for me on this album. I was shocked.

Agreed, James can't really do the tough-guy metal vocals.

Although I absolutely love his vocals on "In the Name of God."

In fact, I'd like to take the time and pronounce that the best DT song ever made. It's got everything--the epic feel, the amazing heavy riffs, the extremely melodic chorus, the awesome breakdown, the crazy solos, the ethnic elements, and one of the most epic outros ever recorded :bowdown:

jaredowty

Reaction score
Although I absolutely love his vocals on "In the Name of God."

In fact, I'd like to take the time and pronounce that the best DT song ever made. It's got everything--the epic feel, the amazing heavy riffs, the extremely melodic chorus, the awesome breakdown, the crazy solos, the ethnic elements, and one of the most epic outros ever recorded :bowdown:

I have to disagree there. While the epic parts are awesome, the vocals are just a tad too emotional for my taste, and the lyrics seem kind of bland and uninspired. Also, that middle section wankage is enough to make me barf. But other than that, great song. The heavy riff right after the arabian type one in the beginning is probably one of the heaviest I've ever heard in my life. :shred:

Latest posts

')