Octavarium

• Thread starter Hellbound
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Is this album worth picking up? The only time I've ever listened to "Dream Theater" was when I was about 12 or so I'm now 27 so this was quite a while back. They have many albums I'm sure but noticed this as one of their latest. Just trying to get an idea of what Petrucci is all about.

BTW I have listened to "Panic Attack" from this album and thought it sounded nice and powerful quite a change from the late 80's.lol All I need is one good post about this album and I'll be heading off first thing tomorrow to check it out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
every DT album is great...each with its own particular style that sets it apart from each of their other albums....

get 'em all :mk:

Tybanez

Reaction score
It is a pretty good disc. Actually,the title track is a amzing progressive song.The disc is quite diverse,heavy and mellow and all points betwwen. John has some amazing stuff on there but for a first DT disc i would suggest Images and Words or Scenes from a memory. But Octavarium is a good first DT.:hbang:

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice that's all I needed to read.:cool:

I must say my ears have come along way from loving nu-metal.lol Arch Enemy and Nevermore helped develope them and open me up to more creative sides of music.

OzzyC

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice that's all I needed to read.:cool:

I must say my ears have come along way from loving nu-metal.lol Arch Enemy and Nevermore helped develope them and open me up to more creative sides of music.

:agreed:
within the last year ive gone from listening to whatevers on the radio even :eek: green day:eek: to listening to mainly dream theater opeth kamelot and such and rarely paying attention to any radio station

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Train Of Thought and Awake are their heaviest, so you should probably start there and then ease your way into the rest.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
:agreed:
within the last year ive gone from listening to whatevers on the radio even :eek: green day:eek: to listening to mainly dream theater opeth kamelot and such and rarely paying attention to any radio station

yeah I've been listening to alot of Opeth lately and I'm sitting here thinking where the hell have I been I have been so deprived of "real" music.lol All the radio stations around here play is "Staind" over and over again the hell with the radio it will rob your ears of real music that is out there.

Update: Just downloaded "Octavarium" on itunes and have it on my ipod now. Holy shit talk about nice. Listening to "Sacrificed Sons" now man I'm not sleeping tonight I'm going to wear this album out. Oh yeah I'm in music heaven right now.:hbang:

OzzyC

Reaction score
yeah I've been listening to alot of Opeth lately and I'm sitting here thinking where the hell have I been I have been so deprived of "real" music.lol All the radio stations around here play is "Staind" over and over again the hell with the radio it will rob your ears of real music that is out there.

Update: Just downloaded "Octavarium" on itunes and have it on my ipod now. Holy shit talk about nice. Listening to "Sacrificed Sons" now man I'm not sleeping tonight I'm going to wear this album out. Oh yeah I'm in music heaven right now.:hbang:

:hbang:

i despise my parents for not giving me any truly great music :squint:
the only reason i first started listening to all of that is because my band teacher in the 8th grade introduced Scenes From A Memory to us (he taught me trombone and this was also shortly after i picked up guitar and also what inspired me to pick up a 7 as my first "real" guitar:metal: needless to say he was an awesome guy)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
truer words have never been spoken. :agreed:

Gabe777

Organic Anagram
Reaction score
i love it how they incorporate the track number with the root note, like the first song the root of all evil, is in A, and so on, also how clever the name is compared to the number of studio albums theve had, 8

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
IMO, while Octavarium is good, I don't think it's a good first album.

That award goes to Metropolis Pt. 2 IMO, or Train of Thought if you like heavier stuff. Both those showcase Petrucci and Rudess a lot more than Octavairum.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I would start at Images & Words, Awake or Metropolis pt2, I think these are their best albums.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
I'm downloading "Train of Thought" as well so I'll see how that goes, I'm looking for the heaviest side of them. Those 2 albums should hold me over for a while.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
i hate how itunes only has "partial album" for awake, chage of seasons, 6DOIT, and Metropolis PT2, and dont even have Images and words on there. :mad: :nono:

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I personally would never buy a compressed audio file with several limitations. CD's aren't much more expensive and the difference in quality and the "extras" you get (the booklet and all that jazz) are well worth it. Oh, and you can sell them if you don't like them (though I've never sold one)

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Guys "Endless Sacrifice" and "Honor Thy Father" are enough to say that Mr. JP is now one of my idols. Holy shit this man can do it all and very well.:hbang:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
'Octavarium' is great. You can't go wrong with any DT, but if you're listening to them properly for the first time in ages, then you probably ought to start with IaW or 'Awake'.

')