Octavarium

• Thread starter Hellbound
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
'Octavarium' is great. You can't go wrong with any DT, but if you're listening to them properly for the first time in ages, then you probably ought to start with IaW or 'Awake'.

Holy shit my dad just told me he's got IaW on disc he's been having it. Cool so now I have 3 of their albums so far.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Train of Thought is what turned me on to DT (since I like their heavier music more) now I'm slowing but surely tring to get all of their stuff.

Reaction score
the octavarium sounds like it is composed by god. The rest of CD is ok but that song is unbelievable.

Thouch scenes from ammemory is the album to get... IT is the one album I would bring to a desert island. Pure fucking genius all the way through.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
if your into more modern sounding rock id go with train of thought, octavarium, or 6 degress of inner terbulance. their older music is more progressive and filled with conceptual directions. however, images and words, awake, metropolis part 2, and falling into infinity are timeless records that opened up new doors for me. the playing on those records is amazing, the song writing is great too. id simply recomend the more modern stuff first cause it's heavier and some might get turned off by their earlier work cause its very progressive and mellow at points. allthough it rocks pretty damn hard too. shit, i guess what im trying to say is that dt is one good band and you cant go wrong with them. all their records kick massive ass.

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
I can honestly say I love every album and DT can do no wrong in my eyes. Octavarium the song is worth the album price alone. I was offended almost to the point of complaining when music zone were blowing them out for £3.97.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
i do like buying cds, i own IaW, Awake, SFAM Prt2, 6DOIT, ToT, and Octavarium. its just i use iTunes to listen to clips, since my Windows media and quicktime take awhile to load up. plus ive had bad experiences with amazon, and no local places stock lots of good music. the only DT ive found here was Awake and ToT. bought the rest in Arizona on vacation.

Reaction score
wtf? I ment Octavarium not THE octavarium... sry, just had to point that out ^^

6 degrees is another album that gives me the chills...

Digital Black

Reaction score
The title track is exactly 24 minutes long and is divided into 4 parts- multiples of 8. There are also 8 tracks on the album.

A little trivia...

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, Octavarium is my least favorite DT album, but it's still a good album. My favorite is probably Awake or WDADU

nienturi

Reaction score
I am a fan of the song called "Octavarium"

The best song since tSfaM album ;) (imo)

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I like Octavarium, but I didn't really appreciate it to its fullest until I saw it on "Score." Same goes for 6 Degrees.

I still like "Panic Attack" the best off of Octavarium, though. That song just gets me pumped.

ctr88x

Reaction score
Octavarium is a really great album. You can definitely see the conceptual direction they were taking with it; it seems sort of "alternative"-prog to me, though that's a terrible way of saying what I actually mean. I'm going to have to differ with some of you guys about the title track, it doesn't really stand out to me as one of their best, especially comparing it to their other uber-long songs like A Change of Seasons.

Really though, all of their albums are masterpieces. It took me a long while to come to that conclusion about Falling Into Infinity, but for what it is, it's really good. I sure do wish the mix of WDaDU wasn't so crappy sounding (the snare is god-awful) but what can you do?

I'm probably one of the few that favors Awake over everything else. Every freaking bit of that CD is just amazing to me. Petrucci's style on that CD really resonates with me, and the whole album just has a groove and vibe that you don't get from other DT CDs. Portnoy's use of the little tom things (name?) is just insane, Labrie is spot-on and intense, Myung is featured more than on a lot of their stuff, and Kevin Moore's general sounds, especially when playing rhythm stuff is really cool.

jaredowty

Reaction score
Train of Thought is what initially turned me on to them. I remember that night in November 2004, freshman year, my buddy just got it in the mail and played the As I Am solo over the phone. Then I got the album, was blown away, and later he got Images & Words and burned it for me. I was hooked forever. One of the sweetest periods of my life.

Tybanez

Reaction score
wow... then you can not have heard much of them? Its a great song but damn there are a lot better songs from DT. I dont have the strength to do a list.

No need. I am a huge fan and i am familiar with their music. As far as The glass prison goes,It rocks. They do have alot of other amazing tunes.:hbang:

')