OD and distortion pedals in front of high gains amps

• Thread starter ShredmasterD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

owlexifry

Reaction score
I only tried it for like an hour because it is not 100% complete yet, but it is cool, but different than I expected. I thought it was going to be a Tubescreamer with a parametric mid band, but it is more of a flat transparent booster that can add some grit like a Tubescreamer, and then you can can sweep the mids. The mid sweep in mine is uneven (70% of the sweep is in 5% the knob turn), but it seems cool. It wont tighten like a TS, but it is cool to add some grit to a sound.

custom badass modified OD - Own one
way huge swollen pickle mkII - Built a clone
fulltone OCD - Have a Joyo Clone
SD-1 - Own one
KOT (single channel) - Havent tried, but I did build a Bluesbreaker clone
klone - Built a clone
bjfe/mad prof little green wonder - Haven't tried this. A TS clone?
GT-OD / ZW-44 - Own a MXR Classic OD, which is the same
OD-1 - Haven't tried but I know it is basically a SD-1 without a tone control
OD808 - Own a Maxon
TS808 - Have several variations and clones
DOD250 - Own one
RAT - Built 2 clones, one stock, one with clipping options and a sweep pot.

One of my favorite ODs is the Way Huge Green Rhino Mk II. I own one, and also built a clone of one. I have a few more PCBs for more also if I ever need them, lol. It is like the CBAOD on paper, but I think it sounds better. It chugs with you in feel more.

I have built so many clones that would take a thread to itself, lol. I think some of my favorites are clones of the Duncan 805, Timmy 3, Precision Drive, Buxom Boost, Naga Viper, and VFE Ice Scream, which is a cool Tubescreamer with more EQ and parametric mids based pedal. I have many others, but find myself using those the most.
ahh bummer, i was looking at a schematic for the OD05 and it certainly looked like that pre-clipping mid control was gonna do something cool...

sounds like the way huge green rhino mkii needs another look... is it as gainy as the CMBOD? I really like the SD-1, GT-OD, but i found the CMBOD was a bit too spicy / compressed for a high gain channel (however worked quite well with a lower gain channel).

[little green wonder is some blueser TS variant. i thought might be cool. its not for me. has a dual gang 'body control' instead of tone control, and uses green LED soft clippers in NFB]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
ahh bummer, i was looking at a schematic for the OD05 and it certainly looked like that pre-clipping mid control was gonna do something cool...

sounds like the way huge green rhino mkii needs another look... is it as gainy as the CMBOD? I really like the SD-1, GT-OD, but i found the CMBOD was a bit too spicy / compressed for a high gain channel (however worked quite well with a lower gain channel).

[little green wonder is some blueser TS variant. i thought might be cool. its not for me. has a dual gang 'body control' instead of tone control, and uses green LED soft clippers in NFB]
The Mid control IS cool and very powerful. If you crank it the whole thing sounds like a cocked wah, or you can actually mid scoop it, which is weird for an OD. If you keep the parametric boost at 0 (center) though, it is a pretty transparent pedal. It is definitely different than most other boosts pedals, so that is cool. It just doesnt have the bass cut to tighten though.

If the CBAOD is like a SD-1 with more options, the Green Rhino is like an 808 with those same options. You can tell it is in the same family, but it is fatter and smoother, where the CBAOD is thinner and more aggressive.

grrr_me_scary

Reaction score
whats your opinion, which pair with what amp best and are they really that helpful and why use them? i find an EQ very effective but also a treble booster has been good too. not so much with others like an 808 in my case, except in front of my sv20 plexi, which i would not call a high gain amp.
I found the KSR Eros sounds pretty good in front of a few of my amps where I want to just "coat" the gain.

Also, I recently purchased a Rockaway (it has the 6-band EQ on it) and it sounds pretty damn good for adding a "thicker" layer on top of the gain and over a clean channel.

keithhagel

Reaction score
Yeah, it all depends on the amp. If I'm playing through a JCM 800, I don't even turn it on until I've got an SD-1 in front of it. If I'm playing through a Friedman or my PRS MT I don't tend to boost it for rhythms, butfor leads I'll switch between my Crayon, an 808, and an SD-1 depending on what's sounding best that day. Now if I'm playing through something like an Orange, I way prefer just putting an EQ pedal in the loop to just sculpt it out a bit better. I'm constantly switching out OD's cause depending on the day I'll have different answers.

TheRealMikeD

Reaction score
It's obviously going to be personal preference for everybody. As for me, I like to just use a pedal as a clean boost (no added distortion) in front of a high-gain amp. That adds some additional gain at the input stage and gives it more of what feels like pure tube gain, as opposed to solid-state distortion. Not that there's anything wrong with solid-state distortion - there are some great ones out there. It's just my personal preference to stick with more of a tube sound. Your mileage will most certainly vary.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
I see people talking about putting rats in front of a 6505. Y'all should try boosting that ratt with a tubescreamer. Instant hm2 but with definition.
I've tried this but it just doesn't get there.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score

This seems to work decent for anyone who has a rat and an EQ and wants the chainsaw tone without buying another pedal.

amptweaker

Reaction score
not sure where to post this so here is goes: anyone have an 800 number for amptweaker? i have a tight metal pro original built by james brown in 2013. i unpacked it after a recent move and its dead. powers up...no sound. it was working fine when i packed it up 2 years ago. ( its been in storage ) i tried the 'new' amp tweaker website contact portal asking for assistance but so far its radio silence.
I'll PM you regarding the pedal.
James B

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'll PM you regarding the pedal.
James B
I had a TDP that was contacted by The Guitar Guru Network, out to you, fixed, and back to me fast as hell. The quality of products and amazing CS was top notch. You made something right when it wasn't and I appreciate how no hassle it was.

I wish I hadn't sold the TDP and BRP.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of music you play, but I can tell you this about the SD-1: I haven't experimented with very many OD pedals, and having found the Boss SD-1, I've found I don't really need to. For metal, it's like it adds a sledgehammer with an axehead to your tone, just fucking crushing. It sounded great with my 6505+ head, but I was getting bored of that tone, so I got a Rockerverb and... Rockerverb with a boost is just apeshit bonkers in all the best ways.

Same.

I bought one way back in the day, because Zakk Wylde uses one, set it the same way as his, and loved it. Other than that, I had one of the Zakk Wylde ODs when they came out, think I broke the switch on it, and went back to my SD-1. I've just never felt the need to try anything different.

HaydenLM1

Reaction score
There are so many out there, but i find myself always going back to a TS9 or a Maxon OD808.
The fortin drive is also pretty good actually.

SeventyFour

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the new Fortin Tempest Architects sig? How does it compare to the aforementioned popular options?

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Honestly, I’ve never really been a fan of boosting a high gain amp. I’ve always felt that if you had the right pickup you shouldn’t need a pedal to alter the EQ for you. I’m not opposed to boosting (you do you), but it’s not for me.

Further. I still want as much dynamic range as possible while hitting the level of distortion I’m looking for… which usually comes from turning the amp volume up rather than adding more gain on the front end.

That said, being a Mesa guy I’ve had good results with the Maxon OD808. I find a lot of ODs are either voiced for a Marshall or a Fender and they don‘t typically blend in with a Mesa’s midrange. I find most sound like a pedal in front of an amp. The OD808 is one of the few that I find sinks into a Mesa and sounds like it’s a part of the amp. Only issue is I find it too smooth.

The pedal I prefer is the Mesa Grid Slammer. Based on what I could find it’s based on a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive with a Timmy style clipping stage. The Landgraff DOD is basically a Tubescreamer with high headroom components for less compression/more dynamic range.

And, not surprisingly, the Mesa pedal works well with Mesa amps. Feels like it was meant to be part of the lead circuit.

')