OD pedal for Krank Rev1?

• Thread starter TurboJT8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TurboJT8

Reaction score
First post here, seems like a knowledgeable forum.

I just bought a Krank Rev 1 head and like it pretty well so far, but I'm looking for an OD pedal that'll really bring the amp to life (maybe the ZW44 or an 808?). Something along the lines of Michael Amott's tone on Doomsday Machine or Black Dahlia Murder on Miasma. I tried searching the forum and looking in the Amp Settings post but Krank doesn't seem super popular, is there anyone that can recommend some settings to point me in the right directions for the tones above to start with?

Thanks for any input :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPowers

Reaction score
I used to have one and I boosted it with and Ibanez TS-7. And I also changed the Phase Inverter tube with a Ruby low gain 12ax7. It smoothed it out a lot. After that it had balls. I never tried to get the tone you're going for but I imagine it could do it with some good eq'ing. That might be a good cheap place to start. Both of those items together would probably run like $50.

TurboJT8

Reaction score
Alright, when I picked it up I noticed the first two 12AX7 tubes were Mesa's and the rest of the tubes were Ruby's. Does that affect it much sound wise compared to stock?

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
When I had a Krank, I changed the tubes to JJ's and then used a Modtone Dynodrive pedal, or a Maxon OD808.

Audio examples are below (from an old band of mine where I used a Krank Rev+ and Modtone Dynodrive

my guitar tracks here (Krank Rev+, Modtone, Bogner cab) are the ones that start first. Other side is a 5150, OD808, Bogner cab)

I'd recommend either the OD808 or the Modtone Dynodrive.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
that 'celebrity' clip is probably a better one to listen to, the side that is doing all of the riff intro parts is mine.

MrPowers

Reaction score
The low gain Ruby tubes made a surprising amount of difference in getting rid of some of the top end fizz.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
That tones pretty killer, remember the settings on the amp by chance?

Everything on 7, to be honest (and if I remember correctly)

Gain on OD low, level/output on high, tone on about 40%. Everything on the amp was on 7 I think, maybe the mids higher and presense high/low depending on string age.

TurboJT8

Reaction score
Thanks for the settings bud, sounds a ton better but I'm definitely going to get an 808 to put it over the top!

')