Odd time exploration - AAL

Grand Rabbit

Reaction score
As many of you are aware, AAL uses predominantly odd meter. Most of the time I can figure it out, there's some point of reference from which I can count out the beats, but in this newer song 'The Brain Dance' I find it nearly impossible to figure out.

This may be due to my lack of skill and experience with odd time, but it seems to be a particularly confusing piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=416&v=Mst4a7ZEF28

I've recorded the intro to the track on a DAW and put 'markers' on the accents of the intro riff, and even still it doesn't make sense because the intervals come 1 1/16th note earlier than the previous one, and then towards the end of the melody they seem to occur at nearly random intervals, none of which add up to anything which I can remotely discern. halp. :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
So, could it be in 15/16 or something along those lines?

AAL doesn't use super complicated time signatures, and you'd be surprised at how much of their stuff is in 4/4 or more commonly used odd-time signatures such as 5/4, 7/4, 6/8, 7/8, etc. if you broke their songs down.

QueeZeR

Beard appreciater
Reaction score
I made an attempt to transcribe it and came up with this:

picture.php

picture.php

There's probably a better way to notate this, but that's the best I can muster for now.
Don't know if it'll be of any help to you.