Odd tremolo problem...

• Thread starter Garremony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Garremony

Reaction score
I got a used RG7620 recently, and I noticed this weird problem with the tremolo. When I push the whammy down, all the strings go floppy, except the high E. It stays tight, only tuned down to about a B. Any idea why this would happen? I tried searching around but couldn't find anything. I'm currently in the process of restringing it, but so far it doesn't look like that will do anything. Any help would be appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I got a used RG7620 recently, and I noticed this weird problem with the tremolo. When I push the whammy down, all the strings go floppy, except the high E. It stays tight, only tuned down to about a B. Any idea why this would happen? I tried searching around but couldn't find anything. I'm currently in the process of restringing it, but so far it doesn't look like that will do anything. Any help would be appreciated!

I'd make sure the stud anchors are set at the same height, seems like they might be set differently.

Also make sure the claw in the back is even as well (as in parallel to the tremolo and not at an angle).

Garremony

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. It looks like the high E side is recessed much farther in than the low B side; on the low B side the knife edge rectangle is fully visible above the body, whereas on the high E side, I can only see the top edge of it. Would your recommendation be to raise the high E side until it is even?

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
I don't mean to derail, but don't 7620s need a special tool to unlock the locking studs before you adjust them?

http://jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm#post
Jemsite said:
The Edge/LoPro tremolos have a heavier duty 11.3mm OD body anchor ("stud insert") which are glued into the body. The two body anchors have fine threads for the stud/post to screw in. These offer stability, yet full adjustability of the overall trem height off the body for optimal guitar setup. These posts are unique and offer a dramatic improvement over the TRS and Original Floyd Rose designs. The Edge stud/posts have a small set screw that locks the post into the body anchor, adding rigidity to the post, preventing any movement.

The set screw is loosened with a 1.5mm allen wrench and after post height adjustment is made, tightened. The set screw is shown below along (blurry top of photo) and in the larger photo the set screw is seen protuding from the stud (left side) with the allen wrench inserted into the top of the post (right side of photo). Never adjust the tremolo post without first loosening the set screw. The anchors and post can also be seen in the "Kit" photos on this page.

trem_post.jpg

That doesn't look like a regular allen wrench....
Where can I buy one if I need it?

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
It's a regular wrench, they just have the locking screw there too so you can see what it looks like.

So at the top of the photo, that's a regular allen wrench inside one of the locking screws; right? Wow, I feel like a retard....

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
That is a bit odd about the e string - is the action a lot higher on the high b side?

The little screw inside is part of the locking stud. It makes the trem a lot more stable and is one of the best things about the Lo Pro.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Ibbys AND tremolos?! Where's Max?!

He'll probably be able to provide a surefire fix to the problem.

edsped

Reaction score
That's completely normal. I'm guessing it's because the high E typically has a lot less tension on it than the other strings.

Garremony

Reaction score
Odd that I've never experienced it before. I thought it was a problem with the tremolo. Oh well, thanks for all the responses!

myampslouder

Reaction score
i've always used trems and the high e typically never goes completely slack. I'm not quite sure why this is but i know it has to do with the string tension and size. it's totally normal though.

')