Oddball Ibanez: 1988 Artstar AL100JR, semi-hollow Superstrat

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

a long time ago when the 1988 Ibanez catalog fell into my hands, the Artstar series with their semi-acoustic construction caught my eye, most of all the Strat-orientated AL100. I did some research but couldn't find out much more than "these are rare beasts". As far as I know the AL100 was only made in 1988.

The most important features of the AL100 are the following:

• The body is roughly Superstrat- or Soloist-shaped and oversized.
  • It is semi-hollow and has a modern style soundhole
  • The neck isn't one-piece, it has a scarf joint headstock
  • 22 fret Rosewood fingerboard - small vintage fretwire
  • Gotoh tuners, chrome finish
  • 3/3 headstock
  • Tune-o-matic type bridge

By pure luck, I got a red one in 2006 and no other crossed my path since then. I recently had a refret job done since the low-profile fretwire was uncomfortable to play. It now has 6100-type jumbo frets and it plays a whole lot better.

Since the serial number H8... starts with the letter H, this tells us that it was not made in the main Ibanez factory Fujigen Gakki, but in another plant called Terada, where today Gretsch Guitars are manufactured. This might be the reason why the guitar is in many aspects quite untypical for Ibanez. Hardcore Ibanheads could tell from the type of screw used for the cavity plate that it's not Fujigen-made! :)

But now let the pictures do the talking. Looking forward to your comments!

IMG_9013.jpg

IMG_9010.jpg

IMG_9006.jpg

c389440e.pbw

IMG_7402.jpg

IMG_7406.jpg

IMG_7409.jpg

IMG_7410.jpg

IMG_7411.jpg

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_7414.jpg

IMG_7415.jpg

IMG_7416.jpg

IMG_7419.jpg

IMG_7420.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7423.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
Looks super clean.
Body shape is almost like the ESP Horizon. Does it have coil splitting in pot or just pot screw is so tall?

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
If you covered up the headstock and showed me a pic of it I would def' guess it was a ESP/LTD Horizon model!

So much un-Ibanez going on there! :lol:

Cool nevertheless!

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Even being a die-hard Ibanez fan, I've never seen or heard of these before...looks pretty sweet, though! I think it would look cooler with the more traditional F-hole, but even without, I really like the looks of that thing!

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Looks super clean.
Body shape is almost like the ESP Horizon. Does it have coil splitting in pot or just pot screw is so tall?

The pots are standard and not push/pull. I guess the top is quite thin and they didn't bother putting extra washers between the pot body and the wood. Also I'm not sure if the bridge humbucker can be split at all, the blade switch is a 3-way.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
At this point in time it should be illegal for you to purchase anymore awesome Ibanii, mainly for fear of the world self imploding from not being able to contain all that awesome in one single location :D

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
It looks like a weird Soloist or Horizon, I bet it has great tone though. When I run semi-hollows through my Pod they have this sparkle on distorted tones. Give us a sound clip dude! :yesway:

s4tch

Reaction score
You should start thinking about running an Ibanez museum. You have all the rare and/or sexy models. :yesway:

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Oh man, I remember the music class of my high school having a white one of these! It was a nice guitar. Haven't seen one after that until now. Nice job man!

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... that's a real oddity. I've never seen nor heard of that one!

')