Oddball Ibanez: 1997 Saber Classic Nylon-string, Electrical Classical with Spruce top

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Hi again,

here is (yet) another rather special guitar you won't find very often: An Ibanez SC500NNT, serial number F97..., made in Japan. This particular model appeared in the catalogs 1998 and 1999 exclusively. It came into my hands back in 2003.

It is a hybrid construction, that is, basically a classical guitar with nylon strings, but it comes in the shape and with many features of a solid-body electric guitar. In this case, a modified version of the well-known Saber body made of Mahogany with a laminated Spruce top was used. Around the body's outline there is a sort of inlaid binding with three black stripes. A 2-piece mahogany neck is bolt on, featuring the All Access Neck Joint. The Rosewood fingerboard - its scale length of 25.1" is somewhere between the standard measures of Strat and Les Paul - has 22 relatively small frets and beautiful medium-sized Abalone dots. Also, two Abalone dots cover the bolts or screws that mount the wooden bridge. The body is finished in a high-gloss clear coat, while the neck and the back of the headstock feel more natural, like a matte finish. The slotted headstock has an inlaid Ibanez logo at the very top and classical side-mount tuning pegs with attractive tortoise-like heads. To improve the looks, I have replaced the ugly stock rubber knobs by dome-style wooden knobs made from Rosewood.

The SC500N is extremely lightweight and perfectly balanced. For the shorter scale length, I tend to use a set of extra high-tension nylon strings, because otherwise the strings would feel too sloppy. The mechanical vibration of the strings is transferred into an electrical signal through six separate piezo transducers inside the bridge. A battery-powered preamp is on board, with a volume pot, a 2-band equalizer for highs and lows and an extra battery compartment on the back. This allows for a very easy 9V-block replacement using just a fingernail.

Without amplification, I think all hybrid guitars like the SC500 and others are pretty much useless - except for practising in a quiet room. On stage or for recording, you definitely need amplification, and the way you amplify the instrument contributes a lot to its tone. From my experience, the SC500's pickup and preamp system delivers a very well balanced and "high fidelity" sound with no overpronounced (or attenuated) frequencies whatsoever. I achieve the best results when plugging directly into the console - a very natural and direct sound.

Here are the pics!

SC500NNT_01.jpg

SC500NNT_02.jpg

SC500NNT_03.jpg

SC500NNT_04.jpg

SC500NNT_06.jpg

SC500NNT_07.jpg

SC500NNT_09.jpg

SC500NNT_10.jpg

SC500NNT_11.jpg

SC500NNT_12.jpg

SC500NNT_13.jpg

SC500NNT_15.jpg

SC500NNT_16.jpg

SC500NNT_17.jpg

SC500NNT_18.jpg

SC500NNT_20.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Nice find, I've never seen one of those before!

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
:bowdown:Now that's cool!! I wish I had had that when I was in my classical phase. :) Thanks for sharing it!

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
HOW THE FK DO YOU FIND ALL THIS STUFF? :lol:

Very cool, man. The awe your collection inspires in me knows no bounds.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I'm a little bummed they didn't make 6-in-line classical tuners for this.

s4tch

Reaction score
Once again, I'm telling you, you should start thinking about running an Ibanez museum. You have all the cool models. BTW, I just bought an S-Classic, these are underrated, very good guitars.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice words guys! There are a few more IBZs to go, oddballs and mainstream beauties alike; so stay tuned.

77zark77

Reaction score
Contrats man ! If it´s like my Lag KJ, you have one of those
particular Ibanez I'd love to own !:bowdown:

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Another interesting oddity OP. :yesway:

At this rate yourself and Corpsegrinder88 should have an Ibanez vs. Jackson collection deathmatch. Although I don't think the forum would be able to handle it.:lol:

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
At this rate yourself and Corpsegrinder88 should have an Ibanez vs. Jackson collection deathmatch. Although I don't think the forum would be able to handle it.:lol:
Although it's definitely not a competition, I'd like to see how Corpsegrinder88's collection looks like. :) Is it scattered across the forum or is there some kind of overview thread?

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Although it's definitely not a competition, I'd like to see how Corpsegrinder88's collection looks like. :) Is it scattered across the forum or is there some kind of overview thread?

I think a lot of them are located here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/159767-jackson-charvel-owners-club.html

Please don't misunderstand me, I wasn't suggesting any form of serious competition it was just with the pair of you being dedicated collectors, it made for an amusing mental image. :)

Page 3, post #66 on above thread.

Edit: direct link is http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2524435-post66.html

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
I find this extremely tasty. Is it just me, or does everyone else wonder how it sounds in a distorted setting?

Tommy

Terribly Unlucky
Reaction score
That's awesome. I never even knew Ibanez did something like this.

')