DropTheSun

Reaction score
Is there a big difference between 9.x and 10.x firmware presets. I mean, if i download a preset, that is done with 9.x firmware, will it sound a lot different when my Axe is on 10.x firmware?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

olli576

Reaction score
Is there a big difference between 9.x and 10.x firmware presets. I mean, if i download a preset, that is done with 9.x firmware, will it sound a lot different when my Axe is on 10.x firmware?

From what i've heard, it will sound the same until you change the amp head to a different model then back to the original again, it then changes to the v10 version :)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Ok, no offense then. I wish I could find an IR that is clean enough by itself, and I really, really tried. Cleaning up IRs and miced cabs isn't deforming them, it's mostly removing strident frequencies and is necessary to sit in a clear mix. The IRs keep their character, I don't turn them into the same one. Of course a clear mix isn't mandatory and up to the artist.

Now I understand :)

Ghillie-Up

Reaction score
So it's my understanding that you can simply record in to ***Insert recording software here*** via the USB on the Axe-Fx instead of using audio interfaces such as the Apogee ONE that I use at the moment. Would this be correct?

Are there any benefits of running the Axe-Fx output in to my Apogee ONE then in to Logic? Or would this just be a pointless extra step?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
1. Yes exactly, I works as an interface

2. Possibly higher sample rate but that's unnecessary IMO, otherwise it's just another variable to worry about.

3. I'd say pointless, but others may disagree.

olli576

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a factory reset on my axe, I must have some settings wrong, any presets such as bulb or nollys patches just sound muddy and crap until i do so much tweaking that it's not even close to their original sound anymore haha, and i'm finding it nearly impossible to get a satisfactory bass tone! global gain is default, poweramp sim is on.

Btw how does one load user IR's into the list?
I went axemanage, found the IR, dragged it into slot 1 and it's now called unknown but doesn't translate into any actual sound when put into the cab selection :S

EDIT: Just did a system reset in utilities then redownloaded nolly and mishas patches, got the same thing, just sounds crap D: what am i doing wrong?

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a factory reset on my axe, I must have some settings wrong, any presets such as bulb or nollys patches just sound muddy and crap until i do so much tweaking that it's not even close to their original sound anymore haha, and i'm finding it nearly impossible to get a satisfactory bass tone! global gain is default, poweramp sim is on.

Btw how does one load user IR's into the list?
I went axemanage, found the IR, dragged it into slot 1 and it's now called unknown but doesn't translate into any actual sound when put into the cab selection :S

EDIT: Just did a system reset in utilities then redownloaded nolly and mishas patches, got the same thing, just sounds crap D: what am i doing wrong?

Periphery presets were done with FW9, are you on FW10?

DropTheSun

Reaction score
Yeah, i downloaded those periphery patches and they sound like poop in fw 10.5 to me. For example Fremens fw 10 bank files (A, B, C) have some super nice patches.

So it seems that patches, that have been done with earlier fw, don't sound that good in fw10?

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Yeah, i downloaded those periphery patches and they sound like poop in fw 10.5 to me. For example Fremens fw 10 bank files (A, B, C) have some super nice patches.

So it seems that patches, that have been done with earlier fw, don't sound that good in fw10?

Well, one thing you can do with presets created on earlier firmware versions is just reset the amp block. So go to the layout screen of the preset, hit edit on the amp block and go to the 'type' page. Just change off of the currently selected amp and then right back to it. This should reset it and you can tweak from there.

For me though, I have better luck just building presets from scratch starting with amp and cab blocks. And the old 808 OD in front of amp to tighten up.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
FAS Modern II - A tighter version of the FAS Modern.

Holy shit balls batman.

So many goodies.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Yeah the FAS Modern II is pretty awesome; jammed on it for about an hour tonight.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the FAS Modern II is pretty awesome; jammed on it for about an hour tonight.
ya I did too, sounds great , even with the stock OH V30 cab (which is what I used) sound good thru the MAtrix->cab too :)

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Still using the Ultra (god damn wallet, why don't you have more money in you?) I notice that in my metal patches (FAS Modern into a stereo cab Redwirez Mesa rectifier cap edge 1 inch and cone 1 inch) that there's a bit of hiss in the tone. I have a PEQ with bands 1 and 5 set to blocking. Low cuts off at about 80hzs and high cuts off around 7khz but there's still a bit of fizz to it. Otherwise I really like my tone, it's mid-rangey and thick and present. the hiss isn't obnoxious but I don't want any hiss/fizz in my tone. Is some hiss to be expected in a live metal tone? Will this go away in a mix?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The Ultra's known for it if you're talking about what I think you are, it should die down in a mix.

redstone

Reaction score
Is some hiss to be expected in a live metal tone?

Depends on the source..

The aliasing fizz : a frequent problem with amp simulators, it occurs at almost 10khz, just put a tight "notch" filter at 9800hz right after the amp, in // of the signal.

The preamp fizz : the Ultra's preamp gain is poorly emulated, just crank the master and bias, add some thump if the bottom gets out of control, put the tonestack at the "end" and try to avoid unnecessary preamp gain.

The cab fizz : it comes from unbalanced IRs and needs to be post-EQd.

The pickup fizz : a pre-EQ might help.

The psycho-acoustic fizz : when you become so obsessed about it that you end up removing what you need to achieve a great tone.

DropTheSun

Reaction score
Just try this, for free.

...and if you like what you hear:
I think Silent underground studio ir's are cheap as hell and sound awesome. I just bought V30 and G12H30 IR packs and they cost only 3 bucks and sound fantastic.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Depends on the source..

The aliasing fizz : a frequent problem with amp simulators, it occurs at almost 10khz, just put a tight "notch" filter at 9800hz right after the amp, in // of the signal.

The preamp fizz : the Ultra's preamp gain is poorly emulated, just crank the master and bias, add some thump if the bottom gets out of control, put the tonestack at the "end" and try to avoid unnecessary preamp gain.

The psycho-acoustic fizz : when you become so obsessed about it that you end up removing what you need to achieve a great tone.

Pretty much this, this is why I got into stupidly low gain distortion tones.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Depends on the source..

Well I cut everything past about 9k so that 10k frequencies shouldn't even be there anymore, right? Also I read that turning the master up on amp sims like Recto New and FAS Modern is a bad idea and makes the low notes all farty.

')