BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
Just got my Axe FX II yesterday. All I can say is wow! I'm absolutely loving the Triaxis modes and the 5153 red channel :shred:

Quick question though, after running for about an hour, mine gets really hot. I know the temperature has been up where I am recently, but it gets about as hot as my RME Fireface 800 (which I think is known to get quite hot). It's not hot enough to burn if you touched it, but I can't say it's miles off!

Anyone else experience this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ALAN_C

Reaction score
Just got the Axe today ! But why my axe sound so strange when using the cable to my little mixer and go to monitor ?(i using the cheap instrument cable (L&R) to mixer) ...

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
That's not normal from my experience. Did you buy it new?

Yes, got it from G66. As I understand it, they had only just received the unit last month from Fractal before sending it out to me. I have spoken to G66 tech support who have said that not only has there never been an Axe II related failure due to heat, but that running warm was normal. Still worries me though, seeing as no-one else has reported it running hot, but their tech did say that what might be "warm" to one person may be classed as "hot" to another.

I'll have to find some way of getting a temperature reading off the case after about an hours use. I hope it's just me, I don't want to have to send it back and wait for a replacement after saving for all this time :scream:

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Is there any other equipment close to the axe fx which could be a source of heat?

Shask

Reaction score
I played my new Axe II today for about 5 hours and it wasnt warm at all. I keep a towel on top of it so I felt it under the cloth. This is in a room with AC and a ceiling fan though.... the powered monitors I was playing it through were MUCH warmer....

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
Is it uncomfortably hot to the touch?

No, it doesn't burn you at all. It's just warmer than I remember my Ultra running at, though since I had to send that in for repair I gotta admit I'm in super paranoid mode with the Axe II. I plan to measure the running temperature this weekend and send it off to Fractal for their official diagnosis. It would be just ....ing typical that my Ultra breaks down and then the Axe II I order after saving for ages is faulty :wallbash:

Is there any other equipment close to the axe fx which could be a source of heat?

No, it's currently in a 4U rack, mounted directly in the middle. It was going to be mounted with my old Ultra directly below it in the same rack, but now I'm scared that it will overheat and break both units :(

Genome

Reaction score
It's normal for the II to get fairly warm, mine does. I have no experience with the Ultra, but unless it's very hot then I think you're OK. The power supply is mounted directly behind the LCD screen. Normal running temperatures are around 40-45c in a fairly hot room with other gear going (think: gig).

It will be a good idea to take a reading and email Fractal though, just to be sure.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
It's normal for the II to get fairly warm, mine does. I have no experience with the Ultra, but unless it's very hot then I think you're OK. The power supply is mounted directly behind the LCD screen. Normal running temperatures are around 40-45c in a fairly hot room with other gear going (think: gig).

It will be a good idea to take a reading and email Fractal though, just to be sure.

Thanks for the info Genome :yesway: I have emailed Fractal suport and opened a ticket, just as a precursor to providing the actual temperature (should they ask for it). The heat does start out mainly in the LCD area, but eventually spreads throughout the rest of the chassis (normal for heat transferrence in metal I guess). The area around the LCD is always warmest.

Like I say, I could just be paraniod after the situation with my Ultra. I'll have that back from repairs in a few weeks so I can test that, as TBH I didn't really keep track of its operating temperature before.

I'll post here with info on however this ends up, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of heat complaints going around and it might be useful for other concerned souls!

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I've had the MAtrix GT1000FX for a couple of months now and I run it into an Avatar Vintage 2X12 (hellatone60s, got a Celestion CL80 today I'm going to try in there too) I thought it was pretty sweet...................until I scored a Fryette 2/50/2 last week.
IMO the Fryette destroys the Matrix (or anything SS for that matter (I've tried a few)
I just recieved a quad of KT-77's that I'm going to throw in there so I can get a bit more of a neutral tone from the Fryette, but so far ....no contest.
I've also tried the Carvin TS100 (or Tl100 which ever is the tube amp) a Mesa 50/50 and a Marshall 9000.
the Carvin was sterile and lifeless, the Mesa sounded great but fought the amp sims in the Axe so only the Mesa models sounded good with it, same with the Marshall, the Marshall based sims sounded great with that, the Fryette sounds great with all of the amp models.
The Matrix sounds great at lower volumes, and works really well with FRFR passive wedges, here's the thing though, as you crank it up (and it does get pretty loud) it starts to sound "cardboard-ish (this is with the real cab)) the girth and harmonic overtones that you get with a tube power amp aren't there. I didn't even realize they weren't there until I plugged in the Fryette.
there may be a way to dial some of that in with the Axe II advanced parameters, but with the Fryette , it's just there.
We are doing an FRFR shoot out at my house on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure the Fryette and my 2X12 are what's going to come out on top (for me anyway) We are testing the latest Xitones, the Atomic CLR and the RCF NX12sma.
We will drive the Xitones and the 2X12 with both the Matrix and the Fryette to get every possible combination out of the gear we have at hand and see
"who rules" :)

I've already got the xitones here, not bad at all. (for FRFR that is)

lots of bands and switches between sets, also they set out the half stacks so they dont have to put out DI Boxes or anything like that. Plus I personally avoid doing things that can be considered "....ing with the sound guy" because they can .... with your sound way worse, like we all know.

ALso the whole DI thing just hasnt been THAT great except for recording so for live its either do this or pick up a tube head :ugh:

ALAN_C

Reaction score
I just got my Axe Fx II few days ago , it's so amazing !!
Any tips and tricks for setting ? I saw the Axe-Fx Wiki said put the filter and Eq in front and back of the amp can get more better sounds .

Any suggestions ?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I wouldn't have said that's necessary at all these day.

Just try everything and do lots of experimenting, I get my favourite sounds from places I'm not expecting.

Shask

Reaction score
I recently got my Axe-FX II also :)

After having a HD500 and Axe-FX Standard, I would say you really don't need to tweak the II. I basically just throw up an amp model, put an OD in front of it, and that is about it for basic tones. Anything else is because I am trying to find something specific...

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
ok I must be going insane.. but does EMG's open up the AxeFX II for you guys??

Since I got the II, I havent played my Agile 7 with EMGs which sounded so good with the Ultra (received a new Carvin DC727).. so I was wondering why the II didn't quite sound as good as the Ultra.. It must of been the settings, but I messed around with it a lot. Then I decided to try the Agile 7 again just for fun (its listed for sale even) and holy shit, same detailed, clarity in the low end that I missed.. I don't know how its so drastic; Its a top notch Carvin DC727 with BKP Nailbombs (or Painkillers, I forget) - but the EMGs won out..

Anyone else ever experiment with the difference on EMGs vs passives for the Axe-FX? Am I just crazy or should I go buy 5 sets of EMG's for all my guitars now as long as I keep the Axe FX? (I normally hate EMG's for tube amps, but this is different.. Actually this Agile is first EMG guitar i've owned since 2006)

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Do you change the instrument input level for the carvin and the agile?
If you don't you should definitely experiment with it.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
I actually haven't been too happy with the tones I've made with guitars I have/had with EMGs. Not a big EMG guy though, admittedly.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Ive had no poblems dialing tones with EMGs on my axefx II. Even mid gain and clean tones come out great for me

Latest posts

')