Given To Fly

Reaction score
Eventide, TC Electronic, Lexicon, etc.... all have units 25 years old that STILL are worth $1500, $2000, + because people want them for their sound. They were high end to begin with and still sound good to this day. I think this is how the Axe will be. I don't think it will ever end up in a bargain bin like a Digitech or Zoom. Obviously they will be worth less, but they are worth far from nothing.

Actually, the Axe COULD be one of the last hi-end major hardware units we see before everything goes iPad format. That alone could keep its worth up..... never know ;)

I don't think anybody is paying $1500 - $2000 for anything made by Eventide, TC Electronic, or Lexicon 25 years ago. The Eventide H3000 Harmonizer can be had for $900 or so. You are right, people still use it but more because its a "classic" piece of studio gear, not because of the modern sound quality; they have have the H8000FW for that. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa ?
Since he just redid the cab, we can assume it's somethign to do with the power amps again, as he stated preamps were pretty much done and spot on already ?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The new GEQ settings are perfect for the Mark Amps, I finally am getting really authentic Mark tones.

FINALLY, it's what I bought the Axe for originally!
Like, no need to go and fiddle with the parametric ?
I get tones all right with the Para EQ as a replacement for the amp EQ, but dialing new tones will sure get easier if just the graphic will do it.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
Not gonna bore anyone trying to "convert" them, but for me, the Axe has been far & away the best guitar purchase I've ever made. I finally saw the light and went FRFR as well, and with God as my witness, I'll never go back to tube.

..until I find something tube I like better... ;)

Seriously though, I love the thing. My amp gas hasn't gone beyond moderate at BEST since I got this setup dialed in. Once integrated, it's really hard to beat.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Man.. I'm excited for FW11. But at the same time I really don't like having to redo all my tones haha.

Shask

Reaction score
Like, no need to go and fiddle with the parametric ?
I get tones all right with the Para EQ as a replacement for the amp EQ, but dialing new tones will sure get easier if just the graphic will do it.

I messed with this a little bit today. The 5 band EQ definitely reminded me of my Mesa mark III!

I also like the 7 band EQ, reminds me of the Boss EQ pedal I used for years!

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
I was of the axe fx is just good for djent and heavy crowd as well until I heard a band called starkill demo the ultra live for me. Even those are super versatile. I would love to tweak a axe II for black metal tones and hear what it can really do.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
Yet the Kemper will live on... Totally buying a Kemper.

I love the sound of the Axe FX but it seems to me to be all about that particular style i.e. super tight low end distortion. I like the idea that the Kemper is more organic.

Dunno, just me opinion. Let's face it, the real reason is that the Kemper is half the price and I'm a cheapskate...:lol:

Axe-Fx is def not just a Djent thing. Some of the best tones I have heard out of it are more low/mid gain stuff. Considering Cliff is not really a "Djent" player it's not like he made it just for that. I'm sure the Kemper is awesome too, but I have never been able to play one. I'm still happy I went with Axe-Fx II, cause it just keeps getting better and better with all the updates. It still has tons of processing power so it's not gonna be obsolete anytime soon and it's miles ahead of the Line6 stuff still and people have used some of those products for many years.

mongey

Reaction score
I have no doubt the axe units will have a good shelf life.

But it is like any piece if hardware. It will pale in features to the models after it.
But like someone said if it sounds good now it will still sound good in 5 years. Maybe not as good as axe 4 or Kemper 3 or whatever is new at the time but its not like a computer where benchmarks go up and you can't use new software with it at a point.

Everything has up keep costs. I just retubed my recto for the 3 rd time in 4 years. It all costs $ to be in the game

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The fragile parts in a computer are either those with mechanical movement (ie, hard drives) or those submitted to very high performance pressure (ie, graphic cards).
AFAIK the axefx has no mechanical parts aside of the knobs, and the power consumption is nothing like a 400W video monstrosity.
Also, remember most "burnign" issues come from the computer parts being submitted to electicity spikes and come from an old/defective power feed.

I guess you'll be looking for AxefxII replacement knobs well before the axe stops working. (Of course, statistically, some will stop working. But very few of them)

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
The new GEQ settings are perfect for the Mark Amps, I finally am getting really authentic Mark tones.

FINALLY, it's what I bought the Axe for originally!

Ditto. The Triaxis preset I made on day one sounds so much more like my old rig (Triaxis into VHT 2/50/2) with the new GEQ!

')