This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bioniczero

Reaction score
I'm building a dual amp patch for the first time. It's a chuggy/bouncey sound (think Volumes/Northlane). I'm using the FAS Modern II as the first amp, and the Quick Rod as the second and like the results, but any other suggestions for the second amp?

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Here's a clip of it, it's that annoying hiss that just kind of sits on top of everything. It's especially noticeable when letting a chord ring out. I don't know if I'm just obsessing over it and it's normal or what, but it's been driving me crazy. https://soundcloud.com/burytheking/axe-fx-hiss

My setup is an Agile AL-3001 w/ D Activators (Or Ibanez RG8 w/ D Activators, or Carvin DC727 w/ CL/LF) into the Axe Fx Ultra. the patch is: Input Gate (Thresh -66.1, Ratio 2.42, Release 100ms, Attack 10ms) Drive Block (Drive 0, Level 10) -> Amp: Recto New (Drive 0, Boost On, Bass 2, Mid 5, Treb 3.9, Bright On, Presence 0, MV 3.5) -> Cab (4x12 V30, R121 Cond) -> PEQ Bands 1 + 5 set to blocking. 1 Blocks below 70, 5 Blocks above 9k) Then it goes into a delay, reverb and pitch block that are bypassed.

I've tried blocking much lower than 9k but it's still there, I've tried turning presence down all the way, still there. Tried Treb down all the way, still there. Tried turning HF Freq down, no dice. Turning MV up seems to help a little bit, but it's still there. I've tried sweeping through with a narrow notch filter to find it but I seriously tried for like 30 minutes with a riff looped and couldn't find it. No matter which knobs I tweak it won't gtfo. I've been trying to get rid of it for like 9 months lol I thought maybe it was interference from my TV because my Axe was right below it, but I moved it and it's still the same.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
It's kind of similar to what I get. Like me, you might be obsessing over it a little too much. It will sit better in a mix though!
Have you tried a compressor in the signal chain? It'll tighten up the sound and maybe help eliminate some of what you're talking about.
My tone for reference,
https://soundcloud.com/lolzroyce-2/numero-uno-finished

Dude, first off, that was ....ing awesome. Secondly, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in this predicament. I think I'm just going to not let it bother me any more and get on with writing.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
FWIW, I didn't hear any excessive hiss in either of your tracks. Granted, I'm at work right now, so I'm using my consumer-grade 'phones (Bose QuietComfort 15's, which have active noise canceling that may be throwing me off). I'll give them another listen at home tonight through my Sennheiser 'phones. Those are actually studio phones, so it should be a little easier to hear if anything's there.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Accidentally deleted all of my patches when making the change to 11.03 (tried to backup without knowing exactly how)....but then I discovered the modeled version of Petrucci's Rhythm tone.

*glass half full*

Also, FW 11.

Shask

Reaction score
Do you sit too close to the computer? Weird lights plugged into the same outlet? Could be some sort of electrical interference.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
anyone know any good 6u cases? just got a G90 and power conditioner and will probably get a poweramp for my Axe fx II so Im gonna need to upgrade my 2u case and there isnt much on kijiji right now...

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
FW 11 actually makes all the presets sound great.. Little tweaking (mostly just changing to a IR) and they are amazing. Good times finally being had (I hated FW 10, almost considered selling it for a Pod HD again seriously)

Syrinx

Reaction score
Yo dudes! Have just realized that Stephen Carpenter from The Deftones has released his Axe-Fx presets! Problem is...I dont have one, and have the POD HD.

So....could anybody with an Axe-Fx maybe have a look at the patches and share with me the settings so I could have a go at replicating them with the pod?

Fractal Audio Systems - Stef Carpenter Deftones Artist Preset Pack Released

I don't think you will be able to properly replicate them with the pod. They all make use of tone matches and an impulse capture of his cab.

Eclipse

Reaction score
This is more of a misunderstanding.
I'm building a home studio so I'm not spending money on floor wedges anytime soon. I need to know if I can play my Axe Fx through a pair of studio monitors (MAudio bx5 d2) without a DAW or a computer because I haven't built it yet. :wallbash:

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Of course. I do this with an axe fx 2 and some studio monitors all the time. I have a powered monitor for live use and the axe fx 2 sits on my desk with the monitors for 'home' use.

Eclipse

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the BX8 D2 monitors and the Axe Fx? Are they good monitors?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Yo dudes! Have just realized that Stephen Carpenter from The Deftones has released his Axe-Fx presets! Problem is...I dont have one, and have the POD HD.

So....could anybody with an Axe-Fx maybe have a look at the patches and share with me the settings so I could have a go at replicating them with the pod?

Fractal Audio Systems - Stef Carpenter Deftones Artist Preset Pack Released

Download axe edit and the patches, you don't need an axe fx to read the settings off of patches. It very likely won't be anything like it though I'm afraid to say.

Worth a shot though.

elnyrb10

fly you fools
Reaction score
so ive been saving up for a while for an axe fx and it looks like ill only be able to afford a use ultra at best, so since the ultra doesnt have a usb output, which i would be using to record, i was wondering what the next best thing to do instead of a usb output insofar as recording? I have an avid mbox mini but whenever i run my pod hd pro (which i use now) through that interface it never sounds as good as the usb output because i never know what to set the input game on the channel as. So should i upgrade to a better interface or just run the axe with a midi output or something

Scrubface05

Reaction score
I'd say get a decent interface and just run it through that.
It'll make you happier in the long run in case you ever decide to record rough vocals or recordings of other instruments down the road. Even still, it's just nice having a decent interface that will have high quality audio.

Latest posts

')