jimwratt

Reaction score
Can't wait for the Axe VST plugin or the Axe LE. Something stripped down for those who don't have that kind of money, live the HD300 vs the 500.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Can't wait for the Axe VST plugin or the Axe LE. Something stripped down for those who don't have that kind of money, live the HD300 vs the 500.

Just buy a used Axe-FX Standard.

I doubt there is going to be a stripped down model in the future. At least one that contains amps AND effects. I doubt a VST will ever happen.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
VST exists, but they scrapped it due to piracy concerns if I remember correctly. There was a big thread on the fractal forum during development, pretty sure there were screenshots.

I doubt they'd make a stripped-down axe-fx, it would likely cannibalize too many sales from the full version, and would probably need all the same hardware anyway, so the price would probably just be the same. Best I can see is maybe an effects-only verison.

Shask

Reaction score
VST exists, but they scrapped it due to piracy concerns if I remember correctly. There was a big thread on the fractal forum during development, pretty sure there were screenshots.

I doubt they'd make a stripped-down axe-fx, it would likely cannibalize too many sales from the full version, and would probably need all the same hardware anyway, so the price would probably just be the same. Best I can see is maybe an effects-only verison.
Yeah, they were working on a VST, but that was with the old Standard/Ultra code. I doubt the code from the II would even run on a computer very well.

Yep, that is why I said a unit with amps AND effects. One DSP runs the amp models while the other runs the effects. They could never strip it down with the same sound quality with a single DSP. With the same hardware, it would cost the same...

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
Hello, fellow Fx:ers! I just got my Axe Fx Ultra delivered and I'm so dickin' happy about it.
I actually never thought I'd ever own one considering used Axe Fx's or Ultra's rarely pop up in Sweden but I got damn lucky :)

I've been tweaking my tits of and my wrist is actually hurting from playing and spinning the knob too much :lol:

Since this is a Q&A I figured I'd just drop off a newbie question regarding the unit and the sounds:

Right now I'm trying to find a good rhytm tone to use for recording and I figured that if I just get the right amp model, cab, mic and play around with the rest of the settings I'd be preeeeetty much set for a half decent rhythm tone. Alas, I was wrong. Or even more probable: I'm doing something wrong
I've mainly tried the Evh 5105 and I've tried every stock cab with it, tried different mics, played around with all the different parameters that the amp and cab offers and I just find that the sound I get, whatever I do, is really really boomy and not really cutting... No matter how I eq it's like the highs are not cutting through at all. It's all low mids, and boomy lows. Treble and presence cranked + cut the mids and lows? It still sounds too fat and boomy. I've tried using my TS808 to tighten the sound, and I've tried the digital TS808 from the Axe Fx but that ain't working either...
Might be worth to mention that ALL the factory presets are middy, muddy and boomy... The clean sounds, distorted sounds, everything.
I run a Ibanez RGA7 with BKP Aftermath's and I'm not really feeling the ice-picky and scratchy top-end that's their (less popular) trademark.
So I looked up a guide to a typical rhythm tone on YT and followed his every instruction and ended up having a completely different sound. A really BAD sound :(

I don't know if the sound I'm getting has anything to do with my clipping situation:
I plug my Axe Fx into my usb-soundcard (Steinberg CS1) and the input signal on my soundcard is at zero and it's still clipping whether or not there's any sound coming from the Axe Fx or if I run the input on the Axe Fx really low. (Sorry if I phrased that sentence completely retarded, I hope you get what I mean)

Sorry for the wall of text and for my incompetence, but there's no other forum I'd rather ask than SSO.

Thank you in advance!

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
your gonna have to wait a few weeks if your not on the waiting list. Ive been on since the day they were outta stock and still no email yet.

Does anyone know approximately when they should be coming into stock? I'm on the waiting list as well and this one piece of gear is all that I'm needing before I start recording my album lol. I'm excited to be able to finally purchase it, but it would be really nice to have an ETA on the new batch.

savanderbok

Stay Metal \m/
Reaction score
i have a quick question. i don't know if it's been answered before, i don't want to go through 100+ pages of this thread. but....

is there any way to pay for an Axe Fx over time, or is it simply something you have to buy all up front?

i mean i don't really have 2000 bones just sitting around to shell out nor will i probably be able to save up that much in the near future.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a quick question. i don't know if it's been answered before, i don't want to go through 100+ pages of this thread. but....

is there any way to pay for an Axe Fx over time, or is it simply something you have to buy all up front?

i mean i don't really have 2000 bones just sitting around to shell out nor will i probably be able to save up that much in the near future.

Not unless you can find a retailer (and the AFX isn't carried many places that I know of) that offers financing. I'd be curious to know whether somewhere like Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc. could order one for you, then offer you one of their interest-free financing deals. Worth checking into.

I, myself, had to go the credit card route... but I waited till I knew I could pay it off in 4 equal payments. That way, I didn't pay quite as much interest. I ate Ramen and frozen corn dogs during those 4 months, but I made it happen :D

jd267

Reaction score
Got my axe fx ultra today and it need a encoder. Called axe and come to find out they are 1.5 hours away from me in N.H. I took the unit apart to try and clean the encoder pot but there is no way to so I put it back together. Has any one else had this problem and what did they charge to fix it? thx

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, I kept selling gear until I had enough in Paypal to cover it. Took several months.

jd267

Reaction score
Yeah, I kept selling gear until I had enough in Paypal to cover it. Took several months.

To have it fixed? lol its a 5 dollar part. Axe told me to drive up here and they will repair it wile I drink coffee in the office.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I'm coming to need access to the looper on my Ultra for the next gig. I've got a basic FCB1010 - am I going to need an EPROM chip or something to control the looper with it?

Shask

Reaction score
To have it fixed? lol its a 5 dollar part. Axe told me to drive up here and they will repair it wile I drink coffee in the office.

No, lol. That was different thread that got merged that was talking about buying a new Axe-FX II....

jd267

Reaction score
No, lol. That was different thread that got merged that was talking about buying a new Axe-FX II....

O lol!! I ordered a new encoder from fractal today was 17 bucks with shipping . I took the unit apart today and removed the board ,and removed the encoder also. Tricky to do . Waiting for the new one to show up tomorrow or the next day.

spilla

Reaction score
I'm coming to need access to the looper on my Ultra for the next gig. I've got a basic FCB1010 - am I going to need an EPROM chip or something to control the looper with it?

No need to upgrade the eeprom, the stock FCB1010 can still control the looper functions. Here are the midi CC's for the Ultra.

MIDI - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

If you need help programming the FCB let me know, ive got a set of instructions that might/should help.

jd267

Reaction score
Just removed the encoder from the board. Axe sent me the wrong one for some reason even after we talked on the phone and described it to the T. Ordered 2 of them from mouser next day. Parts 7 bucks ,shipping 37 bucks lol. Need to get a refund from axe.

Latest posts

')