KoenDercksen

Quantum Realm
Reaction score
If you're talking about using a regular home stereo as a way to hear the Axe, provided you've got the cables you'll need, yeah, it'd probably work. Might not sound all that spectacular, but I'm sure it can be done.

As for the cab advice, again, it's subjective. It might be just fine for you, using a 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 cab instead of the Atomic Reactors. I mean *eventually* you'll probably want to get something else, but with all the ins/outs on the Axe, you can pretty much use whatever you want. Will it sound great? It might sound great to you, just depends on your style and taste. You could get a couple of cheap 1 or 2x12 cabs (for stereo) and a solid state (or tube) power amp and be fine. Just depends what you're going to use it for, i.e. gigging, recording, low-volume bedroom jams, etc...

I'm planning to use it as my regular amp, so for recording and bedroom/drummer jams mostly. Sometimes I'll have a gig, might be more frequently in the future...

How about the Atomic reactors, do they provide enough volume to be on a stage without further (PA) amplification?

I was thinking I could also just get a powered full range monitor and use that as a speaker/cab instead of those expensive AR's... But it'd probably not sound as good :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
I'm planning to use it as my regular amp, so for recording and bedroom/drummer jams mostly. Sometimes I'll have a gig, might be more frequently in the future...

How about the Atomic reactors, do they provide enough volume to be on a stage without further (PA) amplification?

I was thinking I could also just get a powered full range monitor and use that as a speaker/cab instead of those expensive AR's... But it'd probably not sound as good :(

Can't speak to the Atomic reactors as I don't have them. My understanding from reading others reviews is that they're great, fine with most drummers and decent with a gig depending on the size of the venue. That is, the bigger the gig size, the more of em' you'd need to really fill things out. I'd check out the Fractal forums for more info, they have a section on there for amps/cabs that has a lot of good information:

Fractal Audio Systems • View forum - Amps and Cabs

Personally, I use 2 QSC K10's for my speakers and subjectively, to my ears, they're plenty loud and sound great. But again, that's just to me... Everyone's different so my advice is to try to get an idea as best you can, of what these different pieces of gear sound like first hand if at all possible. That is, try them out through music stores or friends if you can...

When I first got my K10s I thought they sounded like ass, and I'd made a huge mistake, but after dialing in my patches, it's become a lot easier to get sounds I'm happy with. From high gain, to no-gain and everything in between.

xschuldinerx

Reaction score
how should i set the input and output volumes? and how do i make it so every preset is at the same volume? im using a peavey 6505+ as a poweramp right now

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
how should i set the input and output volumes? and how do i make it so every preset is at the same volume? im using a peavey 6505+ as a poweramp right now

The input volume should be set at about between 12 and 1 o'clock, the output volume should be set appropriately to where you are playing.

In order to get every preset to sound even, you will have to go into each individual preset and adjust the master volume and the level on the amp.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Input will heavily depend on the pickups you use. Ideally you want the input to go in the red but not to the top when you are using the most output you can produce. (ie, usually downtuned palm mutes or compressed cleans)

HailStan

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post, sorry for the noob question, I know it's basically been answered but I'm kinda looking for some reinforcement. I've read most of this thread and I've been looking into the axe fx for a while. I would mainly use it for bedroom practice and jamming with drums/other guitars. Would the 50w atomic active monitor be suitable for this?

BrandonARC

Banned
Reaction score
got an issue, cant find a used standard anywhere, so should i just bite the bullet and get a new one with a warranty? or hold out for a used one.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
got an issue, cant find a used standard anywhere, so should i just bite the bullet and get a new one with a warranty? or hold out for a used one.

Bite the bullet dude. A solid warranty is a good thing to have, especially with a piece of equipment this expensive.

BrandonARC

Banned
Reaction score
sounds like a good idea. a used one is like 1300 to 1400 anyways. so ill just do that. Any idea how long fractal takes to ship?

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
After pondering buying one for a long time, I went to buy one today, and they're F**KING SOLD OUT. :lol::wallbash:

BrandonARC

Banned
Reaction score
one more thing, why can you buy an atomic amp with paypal but fractal doesnt do paypal for the axe fx? now i gotta transfer funds, which sucks.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
sounds like a good idea. a used one is like 1300 to 1400 anyways. so ill just do that. Any idea how long fractal takes to ship?

Unless I can save like 40% used, I dont' see it as worthwhile and I'll buy new. I'm always amazed when I see people on ebay willing to pay $1300 for a used item that they could have new for $1500.

xschuldinerx

Reaction score
Hey, how would i hook up an Art sla2 poweramp and axefx ultra with an 8ohm cab? i dont see where i would hook up the cab to and stuff. im recording with my band tommorow so help would be wonderful!!

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Hey, how would i hook up an Art sla2 poweramp and axefx ultra with an 8ohm cab? i dont see where i would hook up the cab to and stuff. im recording with my band tommorow so help would be wonderful!!

You'll need a banana lead to 1/4" speaker cable to go from the SLA-2 to the cabinet.

James_E

Hacker, at best
Reaction score
I'm actually REALLY frustrated with fractal right now. My credit card company won't give me a limit increase for even one purchase, and fratcal has been completely unhelpful in finding me a workaround. It's almost as if they don't even want my money...

I'm so frustrated I'm seriously considering picking up a ts100 and an engl e530 and calling it a day.

Would putting cash onto your CC (thereby creating balance in your favour) work? Example:

If the bill to fractal is $2000, and your CC limit is $1500 do this:

PUt $500 cash onto your credit card. The balance is now technically OWED to YOU by the CC company. Then, go buy the ultra. The total that you actually will now owe the CC company is $1500... your CC limit. So... you never actually exceed the limit. Would that work?

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Would putting cash onto your CC (thereby creating balance in your favour) work? Example:

If the bill to fractal is $2000, and your CC limit is $1500 do this:

PUt $500 cash onto your credit card. The balance is now technically OWED to YOU by the CC company. Then, go buy the ultra. The total that you actually will now owe the CC company is $1500... your CC limit. So... you never actually exceed the limit. Would that work?

No, that wouldn't work

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
Axe FX question!

I'm wanting to switch over, but only if it's ultra portable. I'm not questioning the sound quality, because that definitely speaks for itself.

Can I get a cabinet with a power amp in it? I know some of you may be laughing at me for this question but I know little about such things.

What I want is a really small cabinet with the Axe FX on top, then a foot controller. That'd be such a sweet little setup.

')