mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Further to some conversation in another thread about the Recto models the other day I decided to give them another shot. Also Leon Todd did a pretty good video on the rectos the other day also. I spent some time tweaking a patch but when I fired up my real recto, it didn’t really hold a candle to it.

Spending 5 minutes tweaking the Das Metal model and it was way heavier and more saturated than I could get out of the recto model. More comparable to the real thing also, at least for the sound I’m after.

It seems the recto models are fine for mid gain, rock, and standard tuning stuff but since I tune to A, it just doesn’t seem to work as good as the real thing. At least there are plenty of other amp models that do.

Unrelated but I’m also glad my Mark IIC++ patch also holds up well compared to real amps. I have a tendency to get a good tone, then tweak it until it’s overly processed and weak sounding. Nice to have a reality check to real amps.

I think the number-one difference is usually in the high end, the axe fx tends to sound more polished and smoother in the high end, where comparing it to a real tube amp, there is more fizz and treble or something. But that additional high end really makes the sound more raw and aggressive and open. It’s also very easy to add low pass filters in an attempt to address fizz, and end up neutering the clarity.

I’ve found I tend to boost highs in the graphic eq in the amp block, or with a PEQ after the amp, and this seems to take care of it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
Further to some conversation in another thread about the Recto models the other day I decided to give them another shot. Also Leon Todd did a pretty good video on the rectos the other day also. I spent some time tweaking a patch but when I fired up my real recto, it didn’t really hold a candle to it.

Spending 5 minutes tweaking the Das Metal model and it was way heavier and more saturated than I could get out of the recto model. More comparable to the real thing also, at least for the sound I’m after.

It seems the recto models are fine for mid gain, rock, and standard tuning stuff but since I tune to A, it just doesn’t seem to work as good as the real thing. At least there are plenty of other amp models that do.

Unrelated but I’m also glad my Mark IIC++ patch also holds up well compared to real amps. I have a tendency to get a good tone, then tweak it until it’s overly processed and weak sounding. Nice to have a reality check to real amps.

I think the number-one difference is usually in the high end, the axe fx tends to sound more polished and smoother in the high end, where comparing it to a real tube amp, there is more fizz and treble or something. But that additional high end really makes the sound more raw and aggressive and open. It’s also very easy to add low pass filters in an attempt to address fizz, and end up neutering the clarity.

I’ve found I tend to boost highs in the graphic eq in the amp block, or with a PEQ after the amp, and this seems to take care of it.

Are you comparing Axe-Fx to your Recto through the same speakers? Also note that most Axe-Fx models are default to have the master at a sweet spot setting (around 4 for most high gain models) which on the real amp would usually be way loud. Knob positions are also not 100% exact as those vary on the real amps as well due to component tolerances. Not to mention considering all the Recto models available it seems they can vary quite a bit based on year and model. I can't vouch for their authenticity as I dislike the Recto sound so I never use those models.

The Das Metal model is a Diezel VH4 built based on a schematic whereas the other Diezel models are based on an actual amp and thus sound different.

I think overall trying to do "does this sound exactly like real amp X" is not useful when the proper question is "does this sound and feel good to me". With all the options available it's pretty easy to start to over-tweak to get all the warts out of your sound.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Are you comparing Axe-Fx to your Recto through the same speakers? Also note that most Axe-Fx models are default to have the master at a sweet spot setting (around 4 for most high gain models) which on the real amp would usually be way loud. Knob positions are also not 100% exact as those vary on the real amps as well due to component tolerances. Not to mention considering all the Recto models available it seems they can vary quite a bit based on year and model. I can't vouch for their authenticity as I dislike the Recto sound so I never use those models.

The Das Metal model is a Diezel VH4 built based on a schematic whereas the other Diezel models are based on an actual amp and thus sound different.

I think overall trying to do "does this sound exactly like real amp X" is not useful when the proper question is "does this sound and feel good to me". With all the options available it's pretty easy to start to over-tweak to get all the warts out of your sound.

Yeah I try to focus more on ‘does this sound good to me’ and it’s not that the recto models don’t sound like my personal recto, it’s that they don’t sound as good. If they sounded as good but different, I wouldn’t really care so much about that.

What sounds good to me (at least at the moment) is the Mark IIC++, Das Metal, and X99 models, those are my current favourites. Not hard to get great tones that keep up with real amps, without needing to deep-dive into advanced parameters.

I did change the master, I had it at like 1.5 I think, from memory things get noticeably flubby over 2.

I was also playing it though the same speakers, yes. Recto > Zilla 2x12, and axe fx > matrix > Zilla 2x12.

I said it before but running the recto2 preamp into my recto (3 channel) sounds great, and pretty much the same. In fact it can easily sound better as it’s much more tweakable. It’s just the recto power amp models that I just don’t get along with.

I know about the Das Metal, it doesn’t really sound like a Diezel to me, that might be why I like it. I’m not a big fan of the other Diezel models, nor of really any real Diezel clips I’ve heard. I’ve never had a chance to actually play a real one though.

Shask

Reaction score

I always find a bigger difference in the low end. Something about the natural depth and chunk a Recto has doesn't translate to models well. It is that resonance ss/tube thing we have talked about.

I agree there is something funky with the poweramp modeling. You can tell it is funky since the default setting of the negative feedback control is "0.1" to trick the software to use the modeling, but not have much effect.

One of my favorite tricks for the aggression in the highs is to turn up the "dynamics" control in the amp block to about 2 oclock. That seems to add some of the harsh upper mids/treble that is more common in other modelers. Also, turn down "Transformer Match" to about 10-11 oclock can help with this a little also. I also will sometimes boost around 2k in the amp block graphic EQ to add a little more something there. I also usually massively cut 500hz because everything is too middy otherwise, on pretty much any amp model.

I seem to have the most luck with the 5153 Red model. That one is pretty good. I also mess with the other PV 5150 amp models sometimes. FAS Modern III is good also. I have played with the Solo SLO more since our Jet City conversations, and got some good stuff out of it also. I also like the HBEs, and Angle Severe for tighter tones. I play with others, like the D60, Uber, Cameron, Mark models, etc... but I never seem to stick with them as long.

Shask

Reaction score

I think I find the Master to be best at about 2 on most high gain sounds... however, then you start running into having no dynamics. It is kind of annoying..... Upping the Master definitely seems to bring in this middy, cardboard, gritty, thuddy type of sound that is just not good.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah I try to focus more on ‘does this sound good to me’ and it’s not that the recto models don’t sound like my personal recto, it’s that they don’t sound as good. If they sounded as good but different, I wouldn’t really care so much about that.

What sounds good to me (at least at the moment) is the Mark IIC++, Das Metal, and X99 models, those are my current favourites. Not hard to get great tones that keep up with real amps, without needing to deep-dive into advanced parameters.

I did change the master, I had it at like 1.5 I think, from memory things get noticeably flubby over 2.

I was also playing it though the same speakers, yes. Recto > Zilla 2x12, and axe fx > matrix > Zilla 2x12.

I said it before but running the recto2 preamp into my recto (3 channel) sounds great, and pretty much the same. In fact it can easily sound better as it’s much more tweakable. It’s just the recto power amp models that I just don’t get along with.

I know about the Das Metal, it doesn’t really sound like a Diezel to me, that might be why I like it. I’m not a big fan of the other Diezel models, nor of really any real Diezel clips I’ve heard. I’ve never had a chance to actually play a real one though.

I have never been a fan of Diezel models either. They always have some tubby, rubberband low end / low mid thing going on I dont like. Was the same on the Line 6 models. However, I got to play a real Herbert a few months ago, and that amp was pretty killer for the low volume, 30 minutes I got to spend with it. I have been playing with the model since, using a Parametric EQ to model the Mid Cut feature. I have gotten some interesting tones out of this also. I also did the same with a real Uber I got to check out, but I have not had as much luck with the model.

I dunno, overall, I always find the Axe to sound a million times better with some type of mid cut notch somewhere between 400hz and 600hz. I don't know if it is my setup or whatever, but -8db at 500hz just always makes the whole thing sound 1000x better.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I always find a bigger difference in the low end. Something about the natural depth and chunk a Recto has doesn't translate to models well. It is that resonance ss/tube thing we have talked about.

Regarding the recto models, I agree. Though for a while now I haven't really had a problem with the low end of many of the other models. I can get a decent deep low end chunky tone out of the Das Metal, IIC++, etc.

The treble / dark sounding comment was more to do with just all models in general. For a while I thought it might be my poweramp, but its held true with three solidstate poweramps I've used. Not my cabs, since my tube amps don't sound 'smooth' on the top end through them. Maybe next time I feel like it needs some more of that raw treble sound, I'll try the Dynamics control.

Thats less of a complaint and more just an observation, since its easy to deal with, either a slight treble bump in the amp GEQ, or just stick a PEQ at the end of the chain with a slight high shelf.

I agree there is something funky with the poweramp modeling. You can tell it is funky since the default setting of the negative feedback control is "0.1" to trick the software to use the modeling, but not have much effect.

One of my favorite tricks for the aggression in the highs is to turn up the "dynamics" control in the amp block to about 2 oclock. That seems to add some of the harsh upper mids/treble that is more common in other modelers. Also, turn down "Transformer Match" to about 10-11 oclock can help with this a little also. I also will sometimes boost around 2k in the amp block graphic EQ to add a little more something there. I also usually massively cut 500hz because everything is too middy otherwise, on pretty much any amp model.

I seem to have the most luck with the 5153 Red model. That one is pretty good. I also mess with the other PV 5150 amp models sometimes. FAS Modern III is good also. I have played with the Solo SLO more since our Jet City conversations, and got some good stuff out of it also. I also like the HBEs, and Angle Severe for tighter tones. I play with others, like the D60, Uber, Cameron, Mark models, etc... but I never seem to stick with them as long.

Good info, I gave some of these tips a try earlier, it definitely gets the recto model sounding tighter and thicker, but it still gets into that 'overly processed' range for me easy. Also I'm kinda averse to going too deep into the advanced settings nowadays, seeing as its not necessary with so many other models, it just feels like wasting time trying to make one model work when some other one is just better suited from the get-go.

I remember not liking the recto models when I first got the unit, then they were updated at some point and they sounded awesome, then over the course of several more updates, they lost something that made them really metal and 'pissed off' sounding. I'd try and track back which firmware I was using at the time and reload it, but I don't think I care enough.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
The low end doesn't translate well as for the recto models IMO because you need a proper cab or FRFR speaker at loud volumes for the models to come alive just like the real deal. I never liked the recto models through headphones or smaller monitors because they can't produce the frequencies properly.. YMMV of course!

lewis

Reaction score
anyone want to have fun?

Mention liking an Axe Fx on the Kemper FB group...

GOOD GOD!!!

Ive been chased off this planet witch burning torches and pitchforks

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
...Ive been chased off this planet witch burning torches and pitchforks
That's weird. They're normally a very friendly community, and i've been there longer than i'd like to admit.
Link? I'm curious.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
That's weird. They're normally a very friendly community, and i've been there longer than i'd like to admit.
Link? I'm curious.

That does seem odd. One guy got his Kemper stolen and someone had recommended buying an AX8 even and the comment was liked by a few others I think.

lewis

Reaction score

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
In general, it seems there is a certain perspective that some Kemper owners have, where they and their purchase is above all.
That's one idiot you're talking about, not a general rule. I think we're an OK bunch (i currently own both).

That said, he is hilariously over the top and it's kinda funny...

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
And despite whatever rules a group has on Facebook, some members will always think everything must be directly related to the title or in favor of it.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
Anyone got the ares update yet? I'm waiting for Q10 to come to the ax8 so I can try it out, it sounds way too damn good in the clips I've come across so far and have high hopes for it.

Shask

Reaction score
Anyone got the ares update yet? I'm waiting for Q10 to come to the ax8 so I can try it out, it sounds way too damn good in the clips I've come across so far and have high hopes for it.
I have had 10.01 for a few weeks on my II. it definitely sounds a little better. Everything has more clarity in general.

lewis

Reaction score
This is why i love being new to the axe. Buy one and instantly get the very best firmware years in the making.

God someone needs to hurry up and buy my shit

')