c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I don't own it. Want to try one out, but even with the discounts and it being currently at $2k it seems like a lot of money, but obviously worth it because of all the work that went into these units. That said, if it's a tool you actually need and will use the features for then it's hard to beat with so few other competitors.
- I see the optional 3 year warranty is not in checkout any longer but still says it's available for after market purchase in the warranty section within one year of purchase too. Upgrades are still coming etc. The discounts just came before Christmas time. They had the entire package with foot controller for a hundred or two less than it is now even. I'm just guessing but I bet the price drops more in about year.
- This is all about if you think you'll get your moneys worth from it. It all personal. Do you really want or need all this stuff? What do you really want to be doing with all of it? You just gott soul search. I'd take my time because the Axe ain't going anywhere anytime soon and you already got stuff to use. Maybe research it more like you're doing here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I think if you use it as an interface, record it direct, need the routing options, etc.... then it is an amazing piece of gear. I kind of think that is a preamp only, there is other competition that you can consider, but the real strength is the variety of things you can do with it. It is a great value when you look at how useful it is in a variety of ways.

I have actually been tweaking my Axe II a lot the last few days. I have had it for like 7 years now almost. I have been getting kind of aggravated with it because I really haven't used it much, and I have been playing my tube amps more. I mostly use it with a SS poweramp and cab, and still struggle to dial it in so that it shines as good as one of my amps. Sometimes it feels like a waste because I really don't use it direct, use IRs, the cab models, etc.... or many sounds in general. It seems like I am always fighting with it being too stiff and too middy.

However, after getting a G Major 2 and Intellifex, and playing with more stereo effects in general, I have been using it in a new context... just as an effects processor for my tube amps. I have never used it that way ever, but it has been fun just focusing on the Chorus, Delay, and Reverb sounds. Sometimes I think I want to sell it, and then I think for what they are worth these days (and how much less it is worth than it was), it is still a great unit for effects, and a command station / switching system. I am not sure if I will go that route or not, but it is an interesting idea as another way it is useful.

I still think it is probably the best digital modeler there is. I think my struggle is the fact that modelers all seem to be tweaked to be best through IRs direct, instead of optimized to compete with the feel and depth of tube amps in the room.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
So, I just realised that an Axe FX III is only $2K. I thought they were much more expensive than that.

As a result, I hadn’t paid that much attention. So as someone who mostly does home recording and jamming using plugins, any thoughts from you guys on splurging for a new toy Axe FX III?

Yes. Great tones out of the box, easy to tweak to where you want it, and the resources for getting help are pretty good too. Cliff just released an updated beta FW again yesterday.

I think my struggle is the fact that modelers all seem to be tweaked to be best through IRs direct, instead of optimized to compete with the feel and depth of tube amps in the room.

But they are optimized to compete with a tube amp in the room :lol:. Carrying half the weight, consistent tone independent of weather and aging components, that is competition. I don't *want* to haul my 105lbs 412 and my 60lb head in it's 20lb road case around. So I have my 30lb rack case and 40lb powered cab instead.

The feel and depth of "tube amp in the room" is there in the III if you want it, just adjust the room and air parameters in the cab block.

But who wants to be stuck with amp-in-the-room tone when recorded tones are generally what everyone hears and references? Even a band with killer live tone is *generally* being mic'd up and that's what you're hearing at the show. This changes if you're front row, of course.

I came from playing a near-dimed JCM800 and twin on half two nights a week outside of gigs, and I'm loving the tones I'm getting from the III within two days of getting it. YMMV but if you want it to do something, it will do it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it worth picking up an older Axe FX model?

Depends on which model and for how much.

I've seen old Standards and Ultras go for under $600, and at that price, it's hard to beat if you need a dedicated rack unit.

That said, above that price, there's a lot of really good competition, some from Fractal itself.

Now that the Axe3 is dropping in price, there will be a lot of Axe2 bundles going on the used market which will lower the price floor. I've seen minty Axe2s go for $1200, which is dirt cheap.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell, previous owner of this site has a 2 and mfc for $1250.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
FW12 just dropped. Excited to mess with the new stack function on reverb and delay blocks.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
FW12 just dropped. Excited to mess with the new stack function on reverb and delay blocks.
Jeez I forget how quick these guys move. I got my axe 3 at the beginning of the month and still haven't had much need to explore outside of the presets :lol:

Have you seen if they've added anything new to the compressor block? I found a Distressor in there that easily beats my Empirical Labs plugin and is so easy to send audio from the DAW to so I'm holding on to hope that they may expand more past guitar sounds

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Jeez I forget how quick these guys move. I got my axe 3 at the beginning of the month and still haven't had much need to explore outside of the presets :lol:

Have you seen if they've added anything new to the compressor block? I found a Distressor in there that easily beats my Empirical Labs plugin and is so easy to send audio from the DAW to so I'm holding on to hope that they may expand more past guitar sounds

I don't think they did, but update anyway :lol:.

aBagel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guys, so this may have been asked before...
If that’s the case, sorry. But how do I use the unit just to practice or play on my own and casually record some stuff. What extra items will i need? What will the signal chain look like?

Elric

Reaction score
If that’s the case, sorry. But how do I use the unit just to practice or play on my own and casually record some stuff. What extra items will i need? What will the signal chain look like?
Download the manual and give it a look. There are like a billion ways to run/configure a modeler

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Dont need anything besides a usb cable if you just plan to use headphones.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
And FW12.02 just came out, along with the Axe edit III update.

stack/hold function now on more stuff :eek:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
An USB cable to the computer and headphones/a pair of studio monitors.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
And 12.05 today to fix some bugs. Gonna try said TC-100.

AboutBlank

Reaction score
I'm stupid:

After a short time (a few hours) I am already quite enthusiastic.
I limit myself extremely to the search for the right cab for me at the moment.

I'm basically only into Mesa OS, currently the combination used by Leon Todd (YA Recto 57/121) can convince me the most.

In general, because of the editor there is nothing I can't find and adjust in seconds.
Did not expect that it is incredibly intuitive.

My actual question is, does anyone else have a favourite for the smooth Mesa cab sound?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I don't own one yet (Yes, I know, I'm a tire kicker) , but even straight outta the box @Ola Englund is getting good chug tones from it in like 2 minutes.

Latest posts

')