Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, I have an axe-fx and a motu ultralite which i want to connect via midi to use axe edit. Will a 5 pin cable do the job to let them talk to one another and update firmware/edit patchesor do i neeeeeeed the 7 pin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, I have an axe-fx and a motu ultralite which i want to connect via midi to use axe edit. Will a 5 pin cable do the job to let them talk to one another and update firmware/edit patchesor do i neeeeeeed the 7 pin?

5 Pin should be fine. 7 Pin connectors are for when you want to run a pedalboard minus the wall wart or plug, the extra 2 pins supply the power.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the help. But I'm a frickin noob at these gear terminology, so could you quickly explain what exactly a power amp is? And how would that combine with a cab? What's a powered FRFR monitor?
Right now, I'm leaning towards the HD500 since it's cheaper. Thank you

Power Amp in laymans terms "amplifies" the sound of your preamp. A classic guitar layout might be: Guitar -> Amp Head -> Cab. Where the "amp head" has both a pre-amp (bass/mid/treble/gain) and the a power amp (master volume/sag/etc).

A powered FRFR monitor in layman's terms is just a powered speaker. It's your "cab" + a "power amp" in one convenient package. The FRFR part, again in layman's terms, means it's supposed to be "relatively" neutral in sound reproduction. In other words, it's not supposed to color the sound too much and the goal is to give a full frequency representation of what's going into it. In reality though, they each have their own color and tone.

Default_M

Reaction score
This might have already been answered but I've not got time to read through the whole thread and I tried to search but found nothing.

What do the power amp simulations in the Axe FX Ultra do? Does it mean that I don't have to buy a separate power amp and I can hook up the ultra straight to my cab? I somehow doubt it, but at least I've got some powered monitors to run through already.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Guys I need help. Convince me to continue saving for an Axe rather than splurging on an upgraded GSP2101.

The credit card is shaking in my hands.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
Guys I need help. Convince me to continue saving for an Axe rather than splurging on an upgraded GSP2101.

The credit card is shaking in my hands.

Save and buy the AxeFx. It's definitely worth it over the Digitech, imo. I haven't looked at another amp since I got mine and I used to have FRANTIC amp gas over EVERY Engl and others. I even owned some of those. Just save for it. You'll be happier that you did in the end.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
This might have already been answered but I've not got time to read through the whole thread and I tried to search but found nothing.

What do the power amp simulations in the Axe FX Ultra do? Does it mean that I don't have to buy a separate power amp and I can hook up the ultra straight to my cab? I somehow doubt it, but at least I've got some powered monitors to run through already.

The power amp simulations mean that it simulates the sound of the poweramp. So if you are using the Axe with a PA or something that is completely uncolored, it won't sound all thin and fizzy like you are just running a preamp. It gives you the sound of a poweramp. You only have the option of turning it off if you want to run with a tube poweramp or something and don't want to simulate a poweramp while actually running through one.

So basically to answer your question, you will still need a poweramp if you want to run through your cab. The only way you won't need one is if you are running through a powered cab.

My personal setup is AxeFx > Firestudio Mobile > Powered studio monitors. No need for a poweramp since my monitors are powered. But, I'm also not gigging out or anything. My rig is just a recording/practice at home rig currently. Someday I'll get another poweramp so I can run it through my cab.

jl_killer

Reaction score

You're right, unfortunately you would still need a power amp to power your cab. The amp simulations simply simulate the tone of the amps, but the output is only line level. It's more meant to use with your powered monitors, since it has amp and cab simulations. If you want to use your cab, you can disable the cab sims and connect the axe into the power amp input of your amp head,( or effects return.)

Default_M

Reaction score
Thought so; that's unfortunate.
My amp seems to have broken so I was going to get an Axe FX so that I'd have something to replace my Pod for recording and that I could gig with too, but I don't have a power amp and I can only afford the Ultra.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
My amp seems to have broken so I was going to get an Axe FX so that I'd have something to replace my Pod for recording and that I could gig with too, but I don't have a power amp and I can only afford the Ultra.

Get the Standard and then you'll have money left for a poweramp. :yesway:

You could do a solid state one or a Carvin TS100 for around that. Or find something used.

Default_M

Reaction score
Get the Standard and then you'll have money left for a poweramp. :yesway:

You could do a solid state one or a Carvin TS100 for around that. Or find something used.

I suspect I'd still end up wanting the Ultra though so it's probably best just to get what I want straight away.
What are the common alternatives to the VHT power amp that don't cost quite as much?

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score

you could DI your Axe FX straight to the FOH console

or yes, go for the standard instead of the ultra and buy a power amp with the rest of your money. although you will lose some versatility and options with the standard

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I suspect I'd still end up wanting the Ultra though so it's probably best just to get what I want straight away.
What are the common alternatives to the VHT power amp that don't cost quite as much?

I believe I read somewhere that Cliff (owner of Fractal) uses the Carvin DCM's. I know there are quite a few users who also have them.

Carvin.com - Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio: Professional Power Amps

I think you would still use the power-amp sims, since it's a solid-state power-amp.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
if you use a power amp and cab, you have to turn off the power amp and cab sims or it will (aparentely) sound like shit

I think the idea with the solid-state power-amps is that they don't color the sound like a tube power-amp (sort of like when you are using powered studio monitors). So you could leave the power-amp sim on and have it sound like a tube power-amp. And yes, you would definitely turn off the cab impulses if you are using a real cabinet.

I haven't tested it, nor do I plan to. I'm going to buy a QSC K10 (maybe the K12) to act as my poweramp and cab. :yesway:

Buy QSC K10 10" Powered PA Speaker | Powered Cabinets | Musician's Friend

emperor_black

Reaction score
You'd turn off the power sims only if you're using a tube power amp. The axe's power amp sims like damp, sag, etc. are already there in a tube power amp and so would prove to be redundant.
if you use a power amp and cab, you have to turn off the power amp and cab sims or it will (aparentely) sound like shit

Gameboypdc

Reaction score
I had a question directed towards anyone that could help. I am planning on picking up a AxeFX Ultra here shortly and I wanted to know if it would be a worthy investment to purchase a powered atomic cab for the purpose of studio recording? I am not to sure what the benefits are from recording when using a mic up to the speaker cab versus direct recording and playing thru powered studio monitors. Also I was wondering about an iso cab and a atomic power amp? Would that be the better option in terms of traditional recording? Is the traditional method even worth using with the AxeFX? Logically speaking I assume the mic/cab method for recording is a open gateway to outside sounds such as room noise...etc. Where as an iso cabinet would eliminate that for the most part. I'm still not sure if the quality will be enhanced or degraded when preforming this method. I'm also aware that a good power amp combined with the AxeFX will allow me to use other speaker cabs and combinations for recording. I'm also curious to know how the AxeFx impulse cab sims compare to the actual speaker cab it was modeled from. Regardless of the versatility of one method my priority is set on recording so if a power amp and cab is the best option for doing so then it's just a bonus that this method can be used live. Also in this case the cost is not an issue and the goal is to achieve a top notch professional quality recording.

Thanks!
Gus

Default_M

Reaction score

Thanks for that, it's certainly more around the price I could afford, and if I have to upgrade later I won't be too bothered.

Being in the UK I think it would be quite difficult to get my hands on the Carvin power amp (especially if the dealers mark them up like they do the guitars) though I have heard good things.

I've always liked the idea of going direct in to the PA, but the problem with that is if you're playing a venue that doesn't have monitors then you're not going to be able to hear yourself for the whole gig so you still need an alternative really.

')