Wiz

Reaction score
I'm puzzled by my AxeFX wah. Basically I take Studio Lead, one of my favorite patches, and slap a wah in front the rest of components in the chain, and then set it to use my external controller, a Mission Engineering pedal, with Auto Engage off and Off Val 5.0%.

Basically whenever the pedal is under 5%, it should be off, but what happens is that it completely thins out the tone of the whole chain making it sound completely different. What am I doing wrong?

Update: I think I figured it out. Auto Engage must be on fast, off value on 95% (since I do toe down for off) and when using AxeEdit it actually takes a good 10 seconds for those new settings to make it to the device before they're applied.

Now, how do you make the transition between wah off and on smooth? The tone jumps violently from thin to fat as soon as the wah is off rather than transitioning smoothly. Auto Engage slow only seems to make you wait longer for the switch off.

Update 2: Fuck the editor in general, it makes everything easier but from the point of view of editing controllers, it feels buggy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Default_M

Reaction score
Does anyone know the G66 email address? I found 2 and sent a message to each one but 2 days later I've had no reply.

I just want to know if the warranty is transferable if the unit was bought through them? Also does the 2 week money back guarantee exclude postage costs (ie if I sent it back would I have to pay the postage), and when the unit arrives in the UK is there any chance of me incurring any taxes or additional charges?

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but how many rack spaces does the Axe-FX take? I'm pretty sure it's 2, but I want to make sure before I buy my rack case.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
^^
The one that i've received all my emails from is sussi @ gee double six dot eu (<-no blaming me for spam, haha!)

^
The size is 2 rack units, yep.

Shieeeeeet, i just got a mail that they've sent my Axe, and -just like with my custom guitar a while ago- i'll be in Spain by the time it arrives... I guess it's the best way to get stuff delivered -leave the country... :lol:
I'm stoked anyway though!!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Another question here;

When I go back to Missouri, I only want to bring my Axe-FX and headphones. I know that since it doesn't have a headphone out, I should run a mixer between the line-outs and my headphones.

Would something like this work? Buy Behringer MICROMIX MX400 4-Channel Line Mixer | Unpowered Mixers | Musician's Friend

Also, do you think I would be okay just running a Y-adapter? Or could that possibly damage the headphones (or my ears, for that matter)?

Revan132

Reaction score
One thing I am wondering right now as I am almost ready to buy me one of these units; why are there so many on Ebay right now for over 2000 dollars (Some are 2300 dollars used) if they are in stock at Fractal? I went through a mock purchase without putting in my credit card info and they appear to be in stock. What gives? Also I thought it was funny that there is almost 10 units units on Ebay right now, that is a rarity indeed. Market saturation rules. :lol:

emperor_black

Reaction score
Also, do you think I would be okay just running a Y-adapter? Or could that possibly damage the headphones (or my ears, for that matter)?
Yeah, you can use just a Y adapter with mono plugs on one end and a stereo jack on the other end and listen to the axe fx. I've done that a while back. It will not damage your hearing or the headphones because the AXE gives you all the saturation of a tube amp at bedroom levels. :metal:

However, don't use something like ipod earbuds. I've read somewhere that the ohmage has to be high. So any studio/monitor headphones that go over the head should be fine. Especially if you've done the 10.03 update, it sounds stunning through headphones with no extraneous fizz.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
One thing I am wondering right now as I am almost ready to buy me one of these units; why are there so many on Ebay right now for over 2000 dollars (Some are 2300 dollars used) if they are in stock at Fractal? I went through a mock purchase without putting in my credit card info and they appear to be in stock. What gives? Also I thought it was funny that there is almost 10 units units on Ebay right now, that is a rarity indeed. Market saturation rules. :lol:
Likely has to do with people thinking the buyers got their christmas money and it's the good moment to sell. Besides, "in stock" at fractal is often relative.
The axe FX isn't necessarily for everyone, and people buying it because it's trendy can be disappointed.

Default_M

Reaction score
^^
The one that i've received all my emails from is sussi @ gee double six dot eu (<-no blaming me for spam, haha!)

Thanks, it worked and I even got a reply on Christmas Day! haha.

I know in Europe we end up paying pretty much double what people pay in the USA (2199 euros vs $2000 wtf?) but at least we're getting what appears to be some great customer service.

I was told that there's a 2 year warranty which includes all shipping costs for repairs etc, the warranty is transferable and if you decide that you don't like the Axe then you can send it back for a full refund in the first 2 weeks and all you have to pay is 20 euros shipping.

It's still a lot of money over here in Europe compared with the USA but I've no worries that if something went wrong I'd be taken care of hassle free.

tubiux

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm new here as a poster but I've been following this forum for quite a while. I've read through most of the posts in this thread but I don't feel that the Q I'm about to ask has been properly addressed yet even if there's been some talk about it.

I don't care too much for modelling as I get really nice sounds from my Fender, Lone Star & Stiletto. I'm much more interested in the FX part of the unit. I understand that the modelling is quite unique but what I need/want is a unit to replace a suitcase full of pedals (Memory man etc.). I tried a few of those multieffect units some years ago but I thought they're all pretty lame so I forgot about them until I stumbled across this unit. I realize that it's a very expensive multi FX unit and that perhaps in some sense Eclipse might be better suited to my needs but I'd like you guys to elaborate somewhat on the FX part and forget about amps and cabs for a second. Please.

Happy new year!

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm new here as a poster but I've been following this forum for quite a while. I've read through most of the posts in this thread but I don't feel that the Q I'm about to ask has been properly addressed yet even if there's been some talk about it.

I don't care too much for modelling as I get really nice sounds from my Fender, Lone Star & Stiletto. I'm much more interested in the FX part of the unit. I understand that the modelling is quite unique but what I need/want is a unit to replace a suitcase full of pedals (Memory man etc.). I tried a few of those multieffect units some years ago but I thought they're all pretty lame so I forgot about them until I stumbled across this unit. I realize that it's a very expensive multi FX unit and that perhaps in some sense Eclipse might be better suited to my needs but I'd like you guys to elaborate somewhat on the FX part and forget about amps and cabs for a second. Please.

Happy new year!

The effects on the Axe-Fx are some of the best on the market hands down. Just watch any (good) youtube video of it and im sure you will be convinced hands down. That being said, if you are only interested in the effects part of the unit I would wait until Fractal releases the "effects" only version of the Axe-Fx. I heard thats supposed to come out sometime this year.

tranqx

Reaction score
Hey guys, thinking about ordering my Axe-FX Ultra and Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 this weekend (or very soon), just wanted to know a few things.
-Was there a different interface I should maybe look at? One that is similarly (~$500) priced?
-I'm playing on a Schecter C7 Hellraiser which has the EMG 707's and when playing through PODFarm I noticed I have to run the noise gate pretty hard... is the noise gate on the Axe prety good? Eventually I'm going to build a whole new guitar with passives (BKP's) so hopefully the noise will almost completely go away, but with the 707's will the gate get rid of most of it?

Thanks guys! Can't wait!

emperor_black

Reaction score
The Ultra has 3 Gates. One is the standard gate which works for the input only and two other gate/expander blocks which you can use anywhere in the chain. So, yeah, you can get as tight as you want and as much gating as you want.

I don't use any guitars with active pups...I was under the impression active EMG's are supposed to be dead quiet? ...or at least much quiet than hot passive pups?

tranqx

Reaction score
I must be doing something completely wrong then haha, not sure how though... maybe it's just the amps in PODFarm that add a lot of noise, cause I seriously have to crank the noise gate and then my signal just starts dying cause of how high the gate is.

Thanks for the answer though man, I appreciate it; anyone have any suggestions on the interface?

nateb

Reaction score
I must be doing something completely wrong then haha, not sure how though... maybe it's just the amps in PODFarm that add a lot of noise, cause I seriously have to crank the noise gate and then my signal just starts dying cause of how high the gate is.

Thanks for the answer though man, I appreciate it; anyone have any suggestions on the interface?

Well, one thing that you can try (assuming that you get the ultra) is using the gate/expander block after the amp block but using the front input as your reference. This allows the gate to be working off the guitar output as the reference but, gating everything after the amp. I am not sure if the gate/expander block is available on the standard but, the axefx noise gate is pretty nice.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
If anyone else facepalmed hard after not pushing the button on their
Midisport 2x2, I'm with you.

I'm starting to become afraid of technology.

On a serious note has anyone checked out all the Redwirez cabs?
They seem tempting...

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
If anyone else facepalmed hard after not pushing the button on their
Midisport 2x2, I'm with you.

I'm starting to become afraid of technology.

On a serious note has anyone checked out all the Redwirez cabs?
They seem tempting...

i've checked out a fair few of the big box collection, but i'm not an AXE FX owner, mostly use em in the revalver app, great stuff though, many options for each cab and good sounds, mostly into the ENGL, Mesa, Orange, Bogner and Marshall's, haven't touched any of the vintage ones TBH

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
i've checked out a fair few of the big box collection, but i'm not an AXE FX owner, mostly use em in the revalver app, great stuff though, many options for each cab and good sounds, mostly into the ENGL, Mesa, Orange, Bogner and Marshall's, haven't touched any of the vintage ones TBH

Thanks man, I may try out the ENGL and Bogner's.
I wasn't a big fan of the Marshall or Orange amps but
with a little tweaking I may.

Nialzzz

The Perseus Veil
Reaction score
I do have a quick question.

At the moment I'm running a Diezel Herbert + cab as my main rig live and having to make do with recording via mic using the same rig. Personally, the amp sounds insane, but, it falls very far below the mark during recording (at home I'm not able to burn the amp at great volumes).

For a while last year I had a pod x3 and it was great, but my studio setup wasn't set up for recording guitar, so I got rid of it.

I'm unfortunately in a bind financially at the moment, which precludes me from picking up an ultra without selling my Diezel, which is something I'm not sure I really want to do.

Can I ask opinions? Which direction do I take?
1. Trade the Diezel for an ultra and save to pick up an engl poweramp + cab.
2. Keep the Diezel and pickup another Pod X3 Pro.

Additionally, can anyone explain what the patching custom Impulse Responses really does for Axe-FX, I mean, I know what IR's are, but what effect does this make to the actual Axe-FX.

Does anyone feel the ultra really stands up in the live environment compared to a super high gain amp?

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I do have a quick question.

At the moment I'm running a Diezel Herbert + cab as my main rig live and having to make do with recording via mic using the same rig. Personally, the amp sounds insane, but, it falls very far below the mark during recording (at home I'm not able to burn the amp at great volumes).

For a while last year I had a pod x3 and it was great, but my studio setup wasn't set up for recording guitar, so I got rid of it.

I'm unfortunately in a bind financially at the moment, which precludes me from picking up an ultra without selling my Diezel, which is something I'm not sure I really want to do.

Can I ask opinions? Which direction do I take?
1. Trade the Diezel for an ultra and save to pick up an engl poweramp + cab.
2. Keep the Diezel and pickup another Pod X3 Pro.

Additionally, can anyone explain what the patching custom Impulse Responses really does for Axe-FX, I mean, I know what IR's are, but what effect does this make to the actual Axe-FX.

Does anyone feel the ultra really stands up in the live environment compared to a super high gain amp?

This interests me since Diezels are sweet and Im sort of having the same dilemma.

')