Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
I'm sure these PA things has been discussed a million times in this thread but I'm still willing to ask. So, my bands synths player has a pair of mackie SRM 450 and since my axe should arrive in a few days I wanted to ask if I am able to play with him so that everything in my playing and his playing would be audible. Or, should I just get a set of PA of my own or should we do something like guitars to the right and synth to the left. In the last case either one of us could't use any cool stereo (delay etc.) effects.

Don't know if i made my point clear but I hope it was clear enough.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Considering synths and guitars are both midrange instruments I would get my own PA to not only distinguish yourself clearly in the mix, but to also achieve the stereo effects you want :yesway:

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could explain to me what the difference is between some of the low cost furman power conditioners. Ive seen the prices vary from $40 to $80. Which one is the best for the money?

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
YES! My Axe-Fx standard was just shipped.

Now, I have a question. I want to buy something to use the Axe-Fx live and in band practice, but I have no idea as to what to buy, a cab, PA, or whatever. I'm not well versed with this kind of stuff, because in Turkey stages and band practice studios (that you rent by the hour) already have that stuff set up for you, so I never learned.

It's different now that I'm in the USA though, so I need help.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
YES! My Axe-Fx standard was just shipped.

Now, I have a question. I want to buy something to use the Axe-Fx live and in band practice, but I have no idea as to what to buy, a cab, PA, or whatever. I'm not well versed with this kind of stuff, because in Turkey stages and band practice studios (that you rent by the hour) already have that stuff set up for you, so I never learned.

It's different now that I'm in the USA though, so I need help.

Go for a powered monitor. You can model the amps with mics and etc
so going through a powered monitor like a Mackie or the like is gonna
give you the best sound for those modeling processes.
Unless you don't want to use those cabs, then just get a Power Amp and
guitar cabinet and you can run the axe fx as a preamp.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score

This :yesway:

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score

Could you tell me what Mackie product are we talking about? Is it one of these: Mackie Loudspeakers ? Which product(s) would be adequate for a live setting? They seem to be too small to be enough for a live situation (excuse my ignorance, I have no idea I'm just going based on looks)

Gameboypdc

Reaction score
I'm sure some of this information has been posted already, but I'm unable to find a direct response to my question so please excuse me.

I'm wondering what is the ideal way to setup the Axe Fx Ultra for DAW recording purposes? The reason i'm asking this is because my current audio card *Presonus FireStudio Tube* does not have SPDIF and I noticed a lot of people using SPDIF for DAW recording. Now I can purchase a Firestudio Project and chain that unit into my FireStudio Tube so I can utilize SPDIF on the Axe, but would that be a wise or worthy decision? What are the pro's and cons? I have read a bit about this subject yet I seem to get mixed messages because some like analog and some like digital. If anyone knows any information in regards to this subject I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Gus

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Could you tell me what Mackie product are we talking about? Is it one of these: Mackie Loudspeakers ? Which product(s) would be adequate for a live setting? They seem to be too small to be enough for a live situation (excuse my ignorance, I have no idea I'm just going based on looks)

No apologies for ignorance, we all have questions!
AND! Yes those loudspeakers would be the best choice.
HD Mackie's are what I'm currently saving for though I'll
try them out first. You can just go somewhere and A/B all
of them to see what suits you best. But I suggest going
with powered speakers like those because you are supposed to
get the best tone with that setup.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with setting up Axe-Edit with the Axe-Fx. I cant get Axe-Edit to connect to the Axe-Fx. Midi is being received by it but my Mbox is not getting any midi. The sysex ID is correct and I have the Mbox midi out connected to the midi in of the Axe-Fx and the midi out of the Axe-Fx hooked up to the Mbox midi in. Am I missing something?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I'm sure some of this information has been posted already, but I'm unable to find a direct response to my question so please excuse me.

I'm wondering what is the ideal way to setup the Axe Fx Ultra for DAW recording purposes? The reason i'm asking this is because my current audio card *Presonus FireStudio Tube* does not have SPDIF and I noticed a lot of people using SPDIF for DAW recording. Now I can purchase a Firestudio Project and chain that unit into my FireStudio Tube so I can utilize SPDIF on the Axe, but would that be a wise or worthy decision? What are the pro's and cons? I have read a bit about this subject yet I seem to get mixed messages because some like analog and some like digital. If anyone knows any information in regards to this subject I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Gus

Cliff pretty much said in an earlier post a few months/years ago that SPDIF was actually the worst way of doing it. (Why is getting technical about clock rates, it boils down to: SPDIF in sound cards use low grade components)
Most people use good ol' patch cables with mono jacks or XLR cables, your current sound card likely has both as inputs, no need to buy something else.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks!
Gus

After much A/B testing I personally find that 1/4" cables (George L's in my case) sound the best between the Axe and sound card. Granted I haven't used any significantly expensive XLR cables, but to me regular teles give a nice warm, natural tone whereas XLR and SPDIF give a fizzier high-end.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Hey again you Axe-FX knowledgers. I've seen alot of Furman Power conditioner used with Axe-FX (And apparently with other gear too) and would now like to know the benefits of it. I live in Finland and use a non-grounded 230V power.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Hey again you Axe-FX knowledgers. I've seen alot of Furman Power conditioner used with Axe-FX (And apparently with other gear too) and would now like to know the benefits of it. I live in Finland and use a non-grounded 230V power.

Same question here.
BUMP.
Someone with experience in power conditioners
give us some info!

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Same question here.
BUMP.
Someone with experience in power conditioners
give us some info!

a power conditioner i somewhat like a glorified power bar, but also not quite just a power bar.

aside from supplying you with many outlets for single plug and wall warts, and a plug in the front for whatever you need. it also provides lighting for the front of your rig, or the back for easy tweaking or fixing of any issues.

now conditioners aren't JUST outlets and lights. they are menat to protect your gear from power surges or sags, which can blow components in your gear, or burn out fuses, which is annoying. also power conditioners are also used to help keep the power coming into your gear regulated so you don't get extra buzz or hum added to your gear.

so essentially it's mainly for protection of your gear, cleaning up drity power so it doesn't show in your tone, and providing you with extra outlets and lights for stage use.

emperor_black

Reaction score
so essentially it's mainly for protection of your gear, cleaning up drity power so it doesn't show in your tone, and providing you with extra outlets and lights for stage use.

Many regular gigging artists on the AFX forum say they don't use one. But better safe than sorry. :)

However, cleaning up dirty power so it doesn't show in the tone does not apply to digital units like AFX IMO. I'm not an electrical engineer, so correct me if necessary. :D In a tube amp, the most important component is the transformer and its performance directly affects the tone. In that case, clean power could equal to cleaner tone. But not in the AFX. The transformer in the AXE would just be a step-down transformer.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
I've just obtained my Axe, and it's awesome! But it's far more complicated than I'd imagined, does anyone have a bunch of good tutorials? Also how do I transfer tones from my PC to the Axe?

')