Reaction score
I'm somewhat of a noob with effects, I was wondering if the Axe-Fx could replicate atmospheric/electronic sounds? I'd love to use my guitar to create some sort of relaxed spacey backing track, would the Axe-Fx be able to create music along the lines of this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I'm somewhat of a noob with effects, I was wondering if the Axe-Fx could replicate atmospheric/electronic sounds? I'd love to use my guitar to create some sort of relaxed spacey backing track, would the Axe-Fx be able to create music along the lines of this?

Yeah for sure. The delay work on this thing is ridiculous. You might even find some stock presents that you'd be happy with let alone the customizability. Keep in mind though that as a n00b you will have to learn the ways of tweaking and learning the AxeFX :cool:

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Yo Christ!
This is just a guess, but i've always lived under the impression that the Sonic Maximizer is working kinda like a multi-band compressor that's locked in a sweet spot for a guitar like instrument. Now that you've got the Ultra, you might wanna fool around the multi-band/expander that it has to beef up whatever you want.

Personally i don't really know how to make things sound awesome with such a thing, but i've been around in studios and seen the C4 multiband plugin being used on almost every album that's currently been in the works... Just an idea :wavey:

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
holy shit, its here already... it only took 2 days!

anyways i need a little help getting started, i was recommended that SPDIF was the best way to connect the axe to my presonus firepod. and i know ill need some MIDI cables to use axe edit and to update firmware and bla bla. now i was also told to hear myself through my computer i would need to plug some monitors into the firepod.

anything else?

SPDIF would be one of the ways to connect although I've heard the quality difference is barely, if at all, noticable between using any other methods (1/4 or XLR) - just make sure you use high quality cables.

Are you on a Mac or PC? If your using a Mac, in Logic's preferences, I have my MBox 2 as my In Put and my Out put is "On Board Audio" or "Built In Output" so it plays through my normal computer speaker system. I can't imagine Windows based DAW's would be much different? I plan on getting some nice KRK Rokit's though because they have seperate imputs so you can run your computer through them using the 1/4's, but also run the AxeFX directly into them using XLR's!

Also your AxeFX has the latest Firmware on it (I ordered mine a week before you and mine has the newest so yours should)

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
SPDIF would be one of the ways to connect although I've heard the quality difference is barely, if at all, noticable between using any other methods (1/4 or XLR) - just make sure you use high quality cables.

Are you on a Mac or PC? If your using a Mac, in Logic's preferences, I have my MBox 2 as my In Put and my Out put is "On Board Audio" or "Built In Output" so it plays through my normal computer speaker system. I can't imagine Windows based DAW's would be much different? I plan on getting some nice KRK Rokit's though because they have seperate imputs so you can run your computer through them using the 1/4's, but also run the AxeFX directly into them using XLR's!

Also your AxeFX has the latest Firmware on it (I ordered mine a week before you and mine has the newest so yours should)

im on a PC, i dont have a working recording sorftware...i hope i dont need one just to hear my self play, i have my axe, some studio monitors and a firepod in front of me, i want to just be able to have some way of listening to myself. and i heard you can do that in axe edit.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
You just need to put the speakers on the monitoring outs of your firepod. No need of anything else, that's not what axe edit is for.
Not familiar with the firepod, just make sure you are on the appropriate channel where the axe fx output is going I guess.

trenolds39

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a few questions regarding hooking up my ultra to an atomic powered wedge. If I understand correctly, the proper (or at least valid) connection chain would be

guitar --> instr. input --> output (unbalanced left) --> input (atomic fr wedge)

I've been reading around and for the connection between the axe-fx and the cab could I use any 1/4" to 1/4" cable (such as an instrument cable) or should it be a speaker cable?

Finally, as dumb as I feel asking I need to hear it directly. Can any harm be done by turning on the axe-fx when it is not connected to any output? I would imagine it is safe to turn on the powered cab without an input as the connection between poweramp and speaker is internal and no flyback voltages would be possible, but I just have to hear it from someone else, lol.

Thanks in advance

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a few questions regarding hooking up my ultra to an atomic powered wedge. If I understand correctly, the proper (or at least valid) connection chain would be

guitar --> instr. input --> output (unbalanced left) --> input (atomic fr wedge)

I've been reading around and for the connection between the axe-fx and the cab could I use any 1/4" to 1/4" cable (such as an instrument cable) or should it be a speaker cable?

Finally, as dumb as I feel asking I need to hear it directly. Can any harm be done by turning on the axe-fx when it is not connected to any output? I would imagine it is safe to turn on the powered cab without an input as the connection between poweramp and speaker is internal and no flyback voltages would be possible, but I just have to hear it from someone else, lol.

Thanks in advance

Yes you should be able to use 1/4" -> 1/4" with no problems (1/4" MONO cable). You could use 1/4" -> XLR or even XLR -> XLR if the Atomic Wedgie supports it... it's all up to you. Just know that the XLR's are typically a few dB louder than the 1/4" connections.

And no crazy voltage issues that I've ever heard of. If nothing is connected, you can turn it up as loud as you want, there should be no issues. Not sure why you'd do that, but I wouldn't worry about it.

trenolds39

Reaction score
So essentially it is idiot proof? I've read through the manual and the wiki faqs, ect and I'm just trying to make sure there is no way to accidentally break either one, haha.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Went to Guitar Center yesterday and tried out various monitor's to
see what I should get. The guy helping me checked the inventory for
Mackie's and personally went back, found one hidden amongst other shit,
then set it up for me to try out and A/B amongst other monitors. If you haven't
done this... DO IT. You have no idea how fucking amazing those Mackie's sound.
I played through every monitor and then came down to two and was A/B'ing them
until I kept talking about a Mackie and this guy brought me one. I'm buying it next
month. And then my rig is complete.
Whoever else does this setup, you are a smart man.
Now I see why Tosin kept running them.

DC23

Reaction score
Did you happen to try out any QSC speakers? I have an Ultra and am going the FRFR route, but I do not have an opportunity to try any out since the music stores here suck :(

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Did you happen to try out any QSC speakers? I have an Ultra and am going the FRFR route, but I do not have an opportunity to try any out since the music stores here suck :(

i feel your pain brother, when it comes to Monitors it's all yorkville sadly, even though they do deal in mackie and QSC

the QSC K and KW series are good, so are the Mackie HD sereis, but don't put a whole lot of stock in that as i don't have an AXE FX yet and haven't even tried these out yet, just heard them in person

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Yes, I tried out a QSC and thought it was awesome.
I narrowed my decision down to some $600 monitor
and a $1300 QSC and AB'd those for a while.
The QSC and this other one were miles apart.
Then the guy helping me brought out the Mackie...
That's game fucking over.
It blew the fuck out of the QSC. By far.
Not saying the QSC isn't great, because it was.
Until that HD 1531 got set up.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Yes, I tried out a QSC and thought it was awesome.
I narrowed my decision down to some $600 monitor
and a $1300 QSC and AB'd those for a while.
The QSC and this other one were miles apart.
Then the guy helping me brought out the Mackie...
That's game fucking over.
It blew the fuck out of the QSC. By far.
Not saying the QSC isn't great, because it was.
Until that HD 1531 got set up.

i'm thinking the HD1531 will end up being my setup when i do buy an AXE FX

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
So a bit off topic but I have a question for all you Axe Fx users out there

In my band my other guitar player has a Vetta II head, and sometimes he uses the detune effect and gets that "Danza" sound. Now I searched through the effects in the Axe because I will need that sound as well, and I don't have anything called "detune".

So my question is, how do I create that sound with the Axe Fx? Can I?

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Yea, man there's actually a patch that does it already built in haha.
It's actually really good sounding!

MOAR QUESTIONS:
anyone have info on what Born of Osiris are
using in their Axe for the new album?
I really love the rhythm tone, and the solo patches
they have... I'm so jelly.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a bit off topic but I have a question for all you Axe Fx users out there

In my band my other guitar player has a Vetta II head, and sometimes he uses the detune effect and gets that "Danza" sound. Now I searched through the effects in the Axe because I will need that sound as well, and I don't have anything called "detune".

So my question is, how do I create that sound with the Axe Fx? Can I?

It's called "pitch" on the Axe-Fx.

TheGuitarPit

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but I couldn't find the answer.

Simple Axe-FX question: Why do some people prefer a tube power amp and a guitar cab over the monitor speaker solution? Are the cab simulations just not great? Or does the tube power amp let the Axe-FX cut the mix and sound like a real amp a bit more? Is there anything you lose out on by using a tube poweramp? For example, does a regular guitar cab have the range to do some of the more "wacky" effects that the axe-fx is capable of?

If I go to the tube power amp route, will I still have to have the volume fairly high to get good tones? I need this to work at bedroom volumes, so maybe the active Atomic FR cab is the best solution?

One last question, I promise! How does an powered Atomic cab compare to a QSC K series speaker (or behringer truth/etc)? They should be very similar, other than tube vs. solid, correct? Any recommendations here, considering the similar price range? Does one blow the other out of the water?

trenolds39

Reaction score
I've been reading around about getting started with setting up the axe-fx and atomic fr to sound right, and was hoping someone here could give me a tutorial on setting up a simple metal sound with something like the energyball or recto sim.

Straight out of the box the sound is very muffled and this is probably due to the flat response of the cab. I've got cab and power amp simulation turned on, but if I go to any particular preset with gain it sounds very muffled and not tube-like at all. What settings should I change to improve the sound the most? I'm still getting used to navigating the interface and would like to be able to get at least one patch to sound good so I can convince myself that I will keep the atomic cab.

')