Scrubface05

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
Hi all...

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I'm curious about the Ultra or even the Standard... is it possible to turn "off" the amp models and keep the cab models going?

For instance, let's say I like my ISP Theta preamp and would love to run that into the Ultra or Standard and use all the cabs and effect but not the amps... is that possible?

I just found out it's not possible with the HD Pod Pro (which is disappointing). I think it's possible with the Digitech GSP, but not sure...

Any and all info greatly appreciated... thanks!

Yes it is possible on the Standard and Ultra. The amp block is separate from the cab block. If you're not running any amp sims and don't need a guitar synthesiser, the Standard should be more than enough.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Yes it is possible on the Standard and Ultra. The amp block is separate from the cab block. If you're not running any amp sims and don't need a guitar synthesiser, the Standard should be more than enough.

Then my quest for a Standard or Ultra begins! :shred:

DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
Anyone willing to post some tips or anything in regards to setting up power amp and cab patches? I love my setup to death but sometimes feel i have to just "settle" with the tone i get, it sounds weak sometimes, yet somedays i love it....anyone got any pointers as to how they setup their amp blocks?

My gear: Axe Fx Standard, Matrix GT800FX, Avatar contemporary 2x12 w/ hellatone 60s

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^What are you trying to get out of it?

I found when I first got my first Axe FX I kept taking settings to the extreme and forming very unrealistic sounds - using boosts, filtering all the lows off (ALL) before the gain stage then EQing a load back in after to get it really really tight, turning damping up sag down, and so on. In the end I found this really defeated the point of the whole thing.

Once I got all the OMGICNTBLVICNDOTHT out of my system I started to think about the sound I was hearing and not the controls I was turning or where I was turning them to. I started to be more conservative with settings, allowing the Axe's natural touches to come through more and very importantly I made loads of patches with loads of different amps and cabs and didn't just boost straight away and so on. I allowed myself time with pretty much all of the amp models to get used to it and enjoy it like an amp again.

Unless you have a specific sound you're after I can't really make any reasoned suggestions, but try not to do anything out of habit (I used to flip the bright mode on on every single patch without fail just to find myself dialling presence and brightness out making it feel too compressed).

DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
And i think thats my problem too now that I think about it, I pretty much approach each amp the exact same way...I think i need to treat them as each their own.

But another question, do you typically tweak anything in the advanced paramater page? If so, what?

vedoggie

Reaction score
i use axe fx ultra with 2 2x12 carvin cabs with celest 30s a carvin t100 pwr amp .tryed pa speakers and cab sims but they didnt feel like real amp.tube pwr amp is great but feels like a real amp with vol at least 1/2 way up.also there is a hard learn curve,manual instructs you to go online for answers?still cant get my exsp pedal to program to my midi board (3rd board) i was mesa user untill i found that axe fx a/b with real amp cant tell diff,or many other amps as well .every one who heard us play (cooper tribute band the nitemare),has been jealus of tone.i need to find beeter online help ,cant dowload or use my laptop with it .you have to be good with computers and be a tweeker or forget it.its difficult but its inthere check out clips on utube out of detroit mi.i owned 10 diff mesas and switched to this sound is there but feel im working on,i was never satisfyed with one amp ,exspencive multiple channel types but tone suffered from adding effects,and noise .axe fx is quiet cranked is exspensive but all in one solution

vedoggie

Reaction score
tryed conecting laptop to it following instructions,and have spent 10 hrs in fustration ,just use altered patches with midi mate,my ground control plus cant download to be footpedal type i get 9 tenths thru then it dosnt work.prob me not being great on computer,but damn wish it had knobs and a save button,hate digital menues.unfortunatly im not an itt grad.but i had no prob with line 6 boards and programing,fustrating but ill keep trying .noone mentions how hard it is to learn to use it .

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Uh, not wanting to be a dick, but it would help if you started by making a decent effort to write, a forum isn't your mobile phone.
you have to get USB drivers from the fractal site, install them and plug the axe that's all. Then install axe-edit and you're good.

(Yes, I read it all, my eyes bleed now)

Erra

Reaction score
I have but two questions, I won't need a good sound card in my computer if I go ahead and buy the Axe-FX II? Should be enough to just connect it to the PC through USB and record through Reaper or w/e?

Thanks! :)

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I have but two questions, I won't need a good sound card in my computer if I go ahead and buy the Axe-FX II? Should be enough to just connect it to the PC through USB and record through Reaper or w/e?

Thanks! :)
that's correct load the Axe II driver (ASIO) and then you can just plug into a USB 2.0 port and record directly into Reaper.

Last edited:

Erra

Reaction score
that's correct load the Axe II driver (ASIO) adn then you can just plug into a USB 2.0 port and record directly into Reaper.

That is awesome, this means I'll have to get a job so I can buy one asap and start recording my crappy songs :)
Thanks for the quick answer!

vedoggie

Reaction score
ive bought 2 diff kinds of equipt i wouldnt ask qest on thread if i havnt tryed,no one mentions difficulty of these aplications,what if you didnt have a computer?manual often refers you to website.ill keep trying,is there suport to walk you thru these things,other than asking strangers on a thread?seems like fractal should have a help geek squad for price of this thing,it sounds great and theres so much more it can do than how im using it for. is the answer buy there pedal board ,thats not cheap eighter, cost double that of others,no one in my area that i know has one .ive tryed walking thru some vids on utube but they skip steps or asume your an itt tech,is there pedal board plug and play/do i need to sell my gcp and buy the mc101/?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
@DMONSTER:
No, generally not unless there's something specific about a setting I want a little more of AND I know exactly how to get it. I also had a play around with them on the PVH model to copy a mod I know somebody had on theirs (real head). Unless you know what you want I wouldn't bother, there's no hidden treasure in there. It's good for tweaking the feel of the amp more than the sound or making the presence control less hissy though.

@vedoggie:
Man, your posts are so hard to read!

If you're having trouble with the GCP, maybe consider going for the MFC101 isn't a bad idea if you can afford it, it's plug 'n' play and design for the Axe FX.

Yes you can reset and start again, its in the Utility Menu. You'll have to reload your firmware update though, it'll go back to whatever it was shipped with if you reset it.

Boy in a band is OK, i find it kinda irritating though. I found best way to learn was to do, and to know exactly what you're aiming for when you start a patch rather then randomly noodling.

If Boy In A Band works for you, then great.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Alright guys, here is a dumb one for you. Can you hear the guitar whilst making patches in axe edit? I am trying to make patches and nothing is coming out. I know there must be a way to monitor in real time what I am building.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
Alright guys, here is a dumb one for you. Can you hear the guitar whilst making patches in axe edit? I am trying to make patches and nothing is coming out. I know there must be a way to monitor in real time what I am building.

What AxeFX do you have? I have an Ultra, and it works just fine. I have MIDI in & out going to my PC and audio going to my Fireface. You have to select SOURCE "Axe-FX" or whatever it's called, that got me at first. If you don't the PC won't be communicating with the Axe.

E: Sometimes it'll lose sync, if that happens go to RECALL and "Refresh from Hardware" and it'll update to whatever the AxeFX is at.

')