DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
Update:
K so I tried running with the cab Sims on and no mic on my patches and it really smooths everything and even defined my low A a bunch, but it is a tid bit muffled sounding since its a guitar cab trying to model a guitar cab, so is there a good way to dial in the amp block without the cab sims to achieve the same smoothness that I'm getting with the cab sims turned on? Because it sounds GREAT at lower volumes, but once I start turning up it doesn't sound quite right (cab modeling a cab part :lol: )

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

squid-boy

Reaction score
^Try playing with the 'q' value of the filters and play with the mids/low end at the same time. Try different 'q' values for different mid/low frequencies. Find something that fits your taste and go from there.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
Preparing for the AX2? I should be able to order one very soon! What else do I need? I need to upgrade my laptop? What should I get? As far as speakers go I am going to run it FRFR. About to buy a EV112P or EV115P. Which one? I want to get into recording as well. I don't gig but I do play in my basement in a band with a loud drummer. Would just one EV112P or EV115P work? I was leaning towards the 12 but for some reason the 15 gains my interest. Opinions please

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
^I don't know what laptop you have so can't help on that part. It should be fine as long as the USB ports work.

I prefer a 12" speaker to a 15" inch speaker. I find the 15 inch get a bit boomy for guitar. One should cover a drummer. If not you can always purchase another. When you get the II take it to a store and try both and see which one you like better.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
^I don't know what laptop you have so can't help on that part. It should be fine as long as the USB ports work.

I prefer a 12" speaker to a 15" inch speaker. I find the 15 inch get a bit boomy for guitar. One should cover a drummer. If not you can always purchase another. When you get the II take it to a store and try both and see which one you like better.

It looks like I am going to get an EVX112P. What are the best cables to run the speaker FRFR? I need a 20ft cable. As far as headphones go what is good one under $80? It's time to upgrade my laptop. Here's the $64,000 question? What should I get if my buget is $800?

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
It looks like I am going to get an EVX112P. What are the best cables to run the speaker FRFR? I need a 20ft cable. As far as headphones go what is good one under $80? It's time to upgrade my laptop. Here's the $64,000 question? What should I get if my buget is $800?

short runs you can just use unbalanced 1/4"

for long runs of cable go Balanced 1/4" or XLR

other than that it doesn't matter, just don't buy ultra cheap cables but also don't buy expensive cables either

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score

I would use XLR cables just because they fit tighter and the is no hum.

Headphones there are two options I like for under $80:

1: the Audio-Technica ATH-M35
2. Sennheiser HD 212

Does it have to be a laptop? I say this because you could build a brilliant desktop for that money.

Aftermath1

Reaction score
Does anybody know if Nolly releases his patches? Looking for his tone on the Cipher video.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
I would use XLR cables just because they fit tighter and the is no hum.

Headphones there are two options I like for under $80:

1: the Audio-Technica ATH-M35
2. Sennheiser HD 212

Does it have to be a laptop? I say this because you could build a brilliant desktop for that money.

Thanks for everyone's input. I just ordered the EVLX112P speaker, Livewire XLR cables and a Audio Technica ATH M35 headphone. As far as the computer goes, I would like to get a laptop. Is my budget of $800 for one good or do I need to spend more? Please give me some ideas of what laptop to look for? All I need now is for my name to come up on the waiting list which I think will be very soon.

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I have a mac book pro and I love the thing. I upgraded the processor and the thing works like a charm. A bit more than $800 though.

Dell?

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
I posted this in the Fractal Audio forums, I'll post here and see if one of you can answer it as well:

I'm looking for the best option to suit my needs in connecting the Axe-FX II to my computer. Right now, I'm using the Axe-FX as my main interface. Keep in mind, I also use the Axe-FX when playing/bypassing the computer in my room for practice/tone hunting. This works out pretty well, I can plug and play, recording is a sinch, as is re-amping. My issue is essentially coming from getting a headphone mix. Can't really do it properly with the Axe-FX since there is only 1 stereo output. I have my old interface (M-Audio Fast Track Pro) which is connected to the rear input 1 of the Axe-FX (in case I want to use the inputs on the M-Audio). This interface is USB powered, so it's connected to the computer.

I had installed ASIO4All, and thought I solved my problems since I basically created an aggregate device with both the Axe-FX and M-Audio inputs and outputs. I noticed I was having some latency issues that I couldn't quite overcome. The big annoyance was in re-amping though the Axe-FX USB. It would re-amp alright, but would be set back in time due to the latency issues. Also/sidenote: When re-amping with the Axe-FX, does the first bit of the track always get cut off/tapered? I've noticed this happen after my whole issue.

With ASIO4All, I was able to get my headphone mix routed to the output in the M-Audio, which essentially did what I wanted too, but was far too delayed.

What I was thinking, was picking up an interface and run my Axe-FX through it. My concerns are that I still need to do re-amping, and would like to do this through the Axe-FX. It would be ideal not to have to switch my audio device everytime, and obviously I don't want the latency issues I've described above. I also would like to be able to just turn my Axe-FX on and play through my near-field monitors for practice. I only have one set of monitors, so I would have them plugged into the outputs of this new interface. Not sure if there's some way to connect the Axe-FX to the interface, and still have live monitoring like when you have the monitors hooked up to the output 1 of the Axe-FX, and still have minimal delay in signal.

tl;dr: Is there some way to hook the Axe-FX through another interface, and still be able to hear it live through the same set of monitors?

Got some feedback on Fractal Audio Forums, recommended mixer. Now I've got the trouble of how to set it up so I can have:

1) Live monitoring
2) Re-amping ability
3) Ability to record wet and dry tracks simultaneously
4) Use my interface as main audio device

This is what I posted as a reply there:

Alright, didn't think of the mixer route. How would I go about re-amping with the mixer? I would essential have this setup for my system with the mixer, correct?:

Guitar > Axe-FX (Output 1) > Mixer (Stereo input) > Soundcard (inserts on soundcard?) > Computer

Or should I have my monitors hooked up to the mixer? Output from soundcard, to mixer, to monitors?

And with re-amping now, instead of using the USB, I could have the signal routed to say output 1/2 from the soundcard, which would go to the mixer, then to the rear inputs in the Axe-FX?

Sorry if I'm making an easy problem more difficult that it needs to be.

Edit: And I like being able to record the wet and dry signals (1/2 and 3/4) simultaneously, so can I do this by sending the Output 1 and Output 2 to the mixer, or is it even possible any more?

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Ok so Ill prolly buy myself an axe fx soon but for now I may be getting a good deal on a mesa 2:50 poweramp. Should I pull the trigger? i have a mesa thiele 112 with an EVM that Ill use the rig with. And untill I get an axe I can run my POD through the power amp for fun

Or should I pass on the poweramp and buy myself a powered PA wedge onstead?

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
How good of a deal? Such a good deal you could flip it no problem (or for a profit)?

I have used mine with a VHT power amp and liked it but I prefer going direct. But, if it is a good deal I say pick it up and if you don't like it sell it.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Well potentially it couldve been just for some d gear I dont use but now the guys asking 500$. Not sure what they go for new but the 2:90 seems to go for 800$ used so It seems like a decent deal.

And Id probably run direct to the PA for FOH but use this for stage sound and such or for cases where there isnt a PA

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
I think they previously went for around $1200 new (could be wrong). I think they are also discontinued (could be wrong here too) but I have not seen them listed anywhere in a while.

Honestly, I would think about going FRFR if you plan to go direct most the time. :2c:

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
So I finally have the rig planned as well as the prices that Ill be getting it for

Axe Fx Ultra (1400$, possibly less)
Presonus firepod/studio or focusrite saffire pro40 (400$ tops)
KrK Rokit5 (300$ for a pair)

And those are the major components. down the road Ill add a MiDi controller, a wireless and a powered PA speaker or two (probably when I rejoin a band). Ill probably use this oppritunity to learn to do proper recordings too

Scrubface05

Reaction score
I love my Rokits. I got a pair of the 6's for the same price as the 5's, which was awesome. The ferrari set is baller :)

')