This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Ok then Ill have to demo both out i guess

Btw any other mobitors worth checkig out in the same price range?

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
hs50's are pretty sweet monitors, you can get those for $199 a monitor, so it's about 100 more for a pair but well worth it, and i find the mixes come out much more balanced with them as compared to the rockits. but for decent quality and the rockit 5's for the price can't be beat.

others will chime in with some reccomendos soon

Aftermath1

Reaction score
Despite the new samples on the Axe FX 2, is there any point in getting it for recording over the Ultra. I mean for pure practicality. The only thing I can think of as a plus is the USB and headphones. But then the USB isn't a huge advantage as you'd still need an interface for monitors.

Aftermath1

Reaction score
you don't need an interface for monitors, there are L/R monitor outs on the axe 2. ;)

But then when I'm playing back a recording would it still come through the monitors. I guess it would because it counts as an interface itself?

Reaction score
I suggest passing on those Rokit 5s. The HS50Ms are a HUGE upgrade. I wouldn't touch the Rokit series. Yes, I've owned both sets, so I'm speaking with experience. I have HS80Ms now, and honestly the HS50Ms represented guitar sounds much better. You aren't going to overcompensate with the HS50Ms. If you are dialing in guitar sounds, you are likely going to be filtering out most the extended range that the HS80Ms represent better, and the HS50Ms have a more pronounced midrange that the HS80Ms lack. Get the HS50Ms, they're great for Axe FX, and cheap. Also, if you're planning on keeping monitors on top of a desk, 8" monitors can get kind of ridiculous.

Reaction score
He releases some, head over to the Fractal forums and search up his name :yesway:

EDIT: Fractal Audio Systems Forum
IIRC, he doesn't post there anymore because he got into an argument over the fact that he wanted to keep patches to himself instead of sharing. He wanted to reserve them for professional work. IMO, that's ridiculous, and sharing some sounds isn't going to threaten his work, but they're his to share or hoard. There was a patch of his on another message board though, maybe over on metalguitarist.org, but I can't remember.

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
Agreed about the HS80M's being better but they are more expensive (for the 8"). There is a reason why I use them whenever I record.

I disagree about the I wouldn't touch the rokits. I use them for my keyboard and they sound great! If you are thinking of buying a set demo both of them and pick which one you like more.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Agreed about the HS80M's being better but they are more expensive (for the 8"). There is a reason why I use them whenever I record.

I disagree about the I wouldn't touch the rokits. I use them for my keyboard and they sound great! If you are thinking of buying a set demo both of them and pick which one you like more.

also true, it comes down to preference really my buddy Dan went to audio recording school same as me and he loves the Rockit 5's, i had Rockits and didn't like how my mixes translated to other mediums

it's like all things music, you either like it or you don't

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
But then when I'm playing back a recording would it still come through the monitors. I guess it would because it counts as an interface itself?

also true, it's an interface aswell and anything being played back from your DAW will come through the usb, to the axe to the monitors, been thinking about MAYBE using the AXE 2 as my interface when i get one, dunno, will see how i feel about it when i get one

Reaction score

I was saying the HS50Ms (5") are actually better for Axe FX use, even more so than the HS80M (8"). The Rokits are plain ol' not flat. They do sound 'good', and that's precisely the problem with them. Too much bass, not enough high-end, mushy mids. The HS50Ms are 400 for the pair, possibly even cheaper after shopping around, while the Rokit 5s are 300. For the amount of money spent, the HS50Ms are leaps and bounds better for a reference monitor. Although, if he's simply wanting to plug into something to play along, then the Rokit 5s will do the trick.

DMAallday

Reaction score
I have a quick question for axe fx users!!! I'm looking into getting an ultra or 2 and I was wondering if I could use my peavey 6534+ as a power amp, if so easily? sorry for the noob question ha trying to figure out if the switch is worth it!

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I have a quick question for axe fx users!!! I'm looking into getting an ultra or 2 and I was wondering if I could use my peavey 6534+ as a power amp, if so easily? sorry for the noob question ha trying to figure out if the switch is worth it!

Yup. Just plug the Axe-FX into the effects return on the Peavey.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score

Just get rid f the peavey, I got rid of my 6534 over the weekend (finally) could be happier, now its just a wait for my axe II :squint:

')