This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DMAallday

Reaction score
awesome!!! is that a good way to do it? or should i just invest in a preamp! also since ill be running this through a orange 4x12, I shouldn't use amp sims correct? thank you for the help!

mwcarl

Reaction score
awesome!!! is that a good way to do it? or should i just invest in a preamp! also since ill be running this through a orange 4x12, I shouldn't use amp sims correct? thank you for the help!

It's a perfectly fine way of going about using your current amp as a power amp in conjunction with the Axe FX 2. In that configuration you'd likely want to turn power amp and cab sims off on the Axe FX 2, but that's to your taste.

Using your amp head as a power amp is a bit of a waste since it's heavy and you're only using a small amount of its capability. It does mean you don't have to buy another piece of equipment, and you can still use the amp head whenever you want instead of the Axe FX 2 preamp. Whether or not a separate power amp would sound better depends entirely on which one and what your tastes are.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
if you don't mind can you explain why? is buying a power amp better for the sound?

A dedicated poweramp would be smaller a lighter but other than that theres not much of an advantadge, just really didnt get along with my 6534, although the best sounds Ive ever heard frpm it was through prange cabs sooo :scratch:

Scrubface05

Reaction score
I'm having a really difficult time dialing in a good tone. All the ones I dial in have this bright metallicy sound and I can't get rid of it no matter which guitar I try out or which parameter I change.

The first one labeled Axe fx patch test is the one I'm talking about.
http://soundcloud.com/lolzroyce-2

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Updated amp models in FW 6.0 according to Cliff. SWEET!!!!!

"All the Bogners have been totally redone, sorry LOL. Almost every amp model has been "matched" to its real-life counterpart. This was an exhausting, pain-staking, ordeal that involved matching the gain and tone-control response and then doing a distortion and EQ match and saving all that data into the model"
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...0#post12876960

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
yeah been waiting for 6.0 for quite a few weeks now, I want it NAO. Looks like it's a very serious software update even exluding the tonematch stuff.
that's part of why I went axe II after the axe 1: Fractal's followup on software is just phenomenal.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
YES! My name finally came up on the list and I ordered yesterday. I already have an EV ELX112P, XLR cable, headphones, and speaker stand ready to go! The only thing missing is a laptop. I have never used or played a guitar processor before as I always played tube amps. I want to get into recording which I have zero experience with. I am in a band but we just jam in the house. I would like to record full songs and maybe down the road make a cd of them. I was looking at the 13 inch MacBook Pro with the i5 processor with the 4GB memory. Is this a good choice for what I want to try and do? Thanks everyone. BTW I'll more than likely start posting a lot once I get it. I'm just starting to read the manual now.

Aftermath1

Reaction score
yeah been waiting for 6.0 for quite a few weeks now, I want it NAO. Looks like it's a very serious software update even exluding the tonematch stuff.
that's part of why I went axe II after the axe 1: Fractal's followup on software is just phenomenal.

Being lazy here, but when does it come out?

I've finally joined the Axe Fx club :hbang:

walleye

Reaction score
I'm having a really difficult time dialing in a good tone. All the ones I dial in have this bright metallicy sound and I can't get rid of it no matter which guitar I try out or which parameter I change.

The first one labeled Axe fx patch test is the one I'm talking about.
Lolzroyce's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

sounds like you could be using a "bad" cab sim. see if you can find a 4x12 V30 SM57 cone 4", you might be able to download one from somewhere

jdecaire

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a cheap pair of powered monitors? I was looking at the M-audio AV30's they're only $99 (I don't really want to spend over 200 at the moment) I only need them for playing at home. Has anyone used them with their axe-fx?

Aftermath1

Reaction score
How do I see on the Axe FX 2 which firmware I'm running?

Edit: Found it!

Scrubface05

Reaction score
Honestly, if you can get the extra $100 go for a pair of KRK Rokit 5's. I use the 6's with my Ultra and I love it. They're extremely accurate.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
YES! My name finally came up on the list and I ordered yesterday. I already have an EV ELX112P, XLR cable, headphones, and speaker stand ready to go! The only thing missing is a laptop. I have never used or played a guitar processor before as I always played tube amps. I want to get into recording which I have zero experience with. I am in a band but we just jam in the house. I would like to record full songs and maybe down the road make a cd of them. I was looking at the 13 inch MacBook Pro with the i5 processor with the 4GB memory. Is this a good choice for what I want to try and do? Thanks everyone. BTW I'll more than likely start posting a lot once I get it. I'm just starting to read the manual now.

Is there a specific reason you went with the EV ELX112P?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Honestly, if you can get the extra $100 go for a pair of KRK Rokit 5's. I use the 6's with my Ultra and I love it. They're extremely accurate.

I've heard several people complain about using Rokit 5s with the Axe-Fx.

I use Rokit 6s aswell, their awesome!

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
very very broad question so I am sorry for the "noobieness"

so I am running my Ultra through a Carvin ts100 into a cab. I am working on a live tone and right now I just have an overdrive pedal in front of the amp block and then the amp block. I have a general eq following that. (I play death metal btw)

what other effects/features of the ultra do you guys think I am missing in my chain? I feel like for a rythem sound I am being to simplistic with the unit. I am generally happy with my tone but everyone knows that can be improved.

')