This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
I have a kemper and Ultra. Kemper sounds awesome and is fairly simple to use. I don't know how close the amp models included are because I haven't played most of them, but it was able to encode my Mark IV and it sounds exactly like it plugged into my monitors which is pretty damn cool. I intend to do as many profiles of my Mark as I can and then I am going to sell it.

Having both is cool because the models in the axe are awesome as well and there are way more effects. Kemper stuck with the basics there.

Francis978

Reaction score
Can you actually download patches for the kemper? Or do you need to plug into an amp and make the profiles yourself? I am not too sure how a kemper works, I understand the axe fx to a basic extent, I only know axe is a modeler and a kemper is a profiler

flint757

Reaction score
You can download profiles off the web and upload them via a USB stick. Same way you do firmware updates.

Yes it is a profiler, but in all actuality it is just a modeller with the ability to capture other amps as well. The profiling is easy, adjusting settings is easy. The only complaint I have is it takes a minute to start up and only has Distortion/overdrive, phaser, chorus, wah, delay, reverb, flanger, compressor and EQ. So in other words no crazy effects and possibly no looper (haven't tried). There may be more effects, but I can't recall.

That is where the axe takes the lead IMO.

Francis978

Reaction score
So in other words the axe is MUCH more versatile. I keep hearing "Kemper is cheaper and does the same thing" of which it made me think, well why does everyone still go for the axe? I personally think the axe looks much better

flint757

Reaction score
Well yes and no. Interms of basic tone I'd say Kemper is more versatile, but there are more things you can adjust in axe fx while kemper does all the leg work there.

In terms of effects it includes all the essentials and has a wide variety. The good news for both is free updates. The kemper very well may get more effects in the long run.

Francis978

Reaction score
Which is more Ideal for live performances?

With the axe fx it looks like you can punch in tone after tone to your hearts content. and you can share patches and tone match and everything.

The Kemper, can you do the same? Or do you need o actually plug into an actual amp to profile it, i am very ignorant to how the kemper actually works

flint757

Reaction score
They can do similar things you don't actually need an amp at all for either. For live use you will need active monitors, passive monitor with a power amp or power amp and cab for either one.

I'd say Axe fx is better for live use because of start up time, reliability, and form factor, but they both work fine for live use. The start up time is the only real deadly issue because if the power glitches it takes awhile to get things back up and running. Most people agree it is perfect for studio use though. There are more similarities than differences. The main difference is IMO Kemper is more realistic (true to the amp it models), axe has more (maybe better undecided on that one so far) effects, and axe fx fits better in a guitar rig since it can be rack mounted. However once they come out with either a rack version oor the power amp that can slide in the back they will both be pretty convenient. I'm not going to be very useful with your decision since I bought an Ultra and the Kemper at the same time because I couldn't decide. :lol::

I will say that the Kemper is far easier to get used to out of the box and is easier to interface with even without a computer application. The computer application is a must for the first gen Axe fx units, no clue for the 2 though.

Francis978

Reaction score
Ive been wanting an axe fx, but the kemper just looked promising as well, can you share patches like the axe fx?

flint757

Reaction score
Ive been wanting an axe fx, but the kemper just looked promising as well, can you share patches like the axe fx?

Yep there are a ton on Kemper's website, but you have to register your product to download them. I haven't actually done it as of yet, but I've heard it is incredibly easy.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
What's the deal with the mods/chips and whatnot for the FCB1010? It can be used without any of that stuff with the Axe II right?

I may or may not have a NGD coming up with a few new toys, and I can score one of those FCB1010s, but it's factory stock.

EDIT: I feel like such a dumbass for asking this. Just making sure before I spend any more money. Haha...

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
I think it does, but ive heard its hard to program and unmodded your realistically only gonna get patch changes.

Im just holding out for a ground control pro

flint757

Reaction score
The chip is because the firmware update has to go on an eprom chip and it can't be updated via midi. So people buy or download the firmware onto an eprom chip and just install it. It is literally a firmware update. They all do different things though there is Uno which gives you customizability and makes it easier and there is Eureka which apparently you can buy with your specific product in mind to make it an instant connect kind of thing, however this will not work well with Axe since Cliff won't release certain info they'd need to make it work. So for now the Uno chip seems to be the best option. Again it is just a firmware update, but because you can't connect to it to upload the firmware you have to directly download it to the chip. The firmware itself is free, but you have to have the proper equipment and most people don't so they spend $20 to buy one pre-installed.

')