TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I found this diagram on the Axe FX wiki
Connections2.jpg

So am I right in thinking if I turn the Gain all the way down on my 5150 and just use the Post as the volume, I can use the Axe FX as a preamp/effects unit and a 5150 as the poweramp?

The better way to do that would be to wire it up like this:

guitar -> Axe-FX input
Axe-FX output -> 5150 effects return

Or if you wire it up as shown in the second diagram, you can go back and forth between using the 5150 preamp and a preamp from the Axe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
^Nah you'll still need some gain, without gain you don't get any signal into the amp at all.

pirateparty

Reaction score
^Ahh forgot about that, but I think a mix of FX and 5150 tone will sound awesome on the high gain channels with the right cab. I'll probably use only the Axe on the clean channels though, thats the 5150's only fault in my opinion.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
^Ahh forgot about that, but I think a mix of FX and 5150 tone will sound awesome on the high gain channels with the right cab. I'll probably use only the Axe on the clean channels though, thats the 5150's only fault in my opinion.

You'll wanna do the 4 cable method, like the diagrams above then. That way, you can use the preamps for both :yesway:

How you switch between them is beyond me, hopefully somebody more in-the-know will know

iff

Reaction score
The better way to do that would be to wire it up like this:

guitar -> Axe-FX input
Axe-FX output -> 5150 effects return

Probably a dumb question, but in order to run it like that, do you have to take the 5150/slave amp off standby? Or can you just power it on, but leave it on standby?

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
So, I finally got my Standard and it's an amazing unit but, I can't get Axe Edit to receive my Axe Fx. I'm running two midi cables from the Axe Fx to an Edirol UA-25, and the "Midi IN" light on the Axe Fx is blinking. I tried switching cables around so both cables work through the midi in. I've set the midi channel to 1, and sysex to 125, double checked that with the I/O menu. So right now midi input and output are displayed as "EDIROL UA-25" in Axe Edit 0.9.15. I'm operating Mac OSX 10.5.8. What should I try next?

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
Thanks, but I've definitely reinstalled the UA-25 drivers at least six times now lol and it still doesn't work.

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
Ok, it looks like rockkato over at the FAS forums had the same issues as me.

"I have everything connected up (undoubtedly) correctly.
I can see the midi activity light on the Axe-FX.
I CAN load a preset file (the one included with Axe-Edit), using a Bank file as the source, and change presets on the AXE-FX (all good!)
I can turn knobs on the screen and I see (virtual) knobs changing on the Axe-FX (Still all Good!)

Here's the problem..... I cannot select Axe-FX as the source ... all i get is the check Audio/ Midi settings message.
Midi Test Times out in MIDI LOG

When selecting BackUp or Sync Operations I get the No Hardware found message! Crap!
When Visiting the Preset Manager I get no source found Sysex ID 125."

He was using a MOTU Microexpress USB-Midi interface, with literally the exact same symptoms

migreeni

Reaction score
I justa uploaded the latest firmware and now I can't get any sound out of it :/ I can hear the tone very briefly, less than a second, when I turn it on but then there's total silence.. The input LEDs on the front panel are jumping but the output LEDs are not.

What to do..?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Redo your patch from scratch and see if that works.

Sometimes the firmware update will fuck with an effect block.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
I justa uploaded the latest firmware and now I can't get any sound out of it :/ I can hear the tone very briefly, less than a second, when I turn it on but then there's total silence.. The input LEDs on the front panel are jumping but the output LEDs are not.

What to do..?

Which firmware did you have previously?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say try reinstalling the new one, or a slightly older one, and see if that helps.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Ah, Check this out first (I had this problem once.) http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3582

If that doesn't work, check this out. Firmware 8.01 Release NOTE: This firmware release does not support presets created with firmware prior to Version 6.10. If you are upgrading from 6.09 or earlier upgrade to 7.18 first and run the “Update All Presets” function in the utility menu to convert your presets to the latest protocol.

migreeni

Reaction score
Ok somehow i got it working now. It seems like the real problem is in my Mbox2 mini (wtf). It doesn't produce any sound.. But this is a Fractal thread so I'll leave you to it.

Btw, it sounds AWESOME when it's upgraded :)

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
Ok, it looks like rockkato over at the FAS forums had the same issues as me.

"I have everything connected up (undoubtedly) correctly.
I can see the midi activity light on the Axe-FX.
I CAN load a preset file (the one included with Axe-Edit), using a Bank file as the source, and change presets on the AXE-FX (all good!)
I can turn knobs on the screen and I see (virtual) knobs changing on the Axe-FX (Still all Good!)

Here's the problem..... I cannot select Axe-FX as the source ... all i get is the check Audio/ Midi settings message.
Midi Test Times out in MIDI LOG

When selecting BackUp or Sync Operations I get the No Hardware found message! Crap!
When Visiting the Preset Manager I get no source found Sysex ID 125."

He was using a MOTU Microexpress USB-Midi interface, with literally the exact same symptoms

I've still got the same problem, but now I know that the Edirol UA-25 isn't receiving MIDI IN data. I'm not sure if its broken or...

')