This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, kiddies, I'm about to have myself a firesale here so I can get my cult robes on order to join up:

FractalCultRobe.jpg

:cool:

Just a few questions that I don't really see any answers to, here, or on the Fractal wiki:

At least for a while here, I plan to use the unit strictly for direct studio recording, as that's our gig:

1. Ola mentioned that the S/PIDF's are a junk way to pass audio, and added even Cliff @ Fractal supposedly said so. If so, why the crap have them on there instead of, say, FireWire?! :scratch: I'm using a Line X3 Pro now USB direct, and I'm not too keen on dropping a bunch of dough on a separate interface if I don't need it (my other guitar player has a 002 that he keeps with him, but is not at my place 24/7, should we need traditional multi analog ins). Frankly, I love the way the X3 buses the eight separated out signals (raw, full mix, tone 1 left, tone 1, right, etc.), not to mention it makes it REALLY easy to go back through for reamping, or interfacing my VSTs with my cool-ass outboard gear. :yesway: Should I just hold out for a version with a real interface BUS on it, or is that not happening any time soon?

2. A lot of what I'm doing right now, and most certainly in the future (not to mention is becoming somewhat of a standard these days) is recording direct raws for reamping. Is the Axe-FX worthy of doubling as a DI box (wither through an alternate output into an interface, or through the aforementioned S/PDIF) or am I going to need to get something like a Radial JDI to "route around" it to an open channel in (again) a separate interface. Furthermore, is it an easy gig to reamp back through the unit? Obviously, if its the bees knees so far as digital modeling goes, reamping back through it is an absolute must. The X3 (and DigiDesign Eleven, for that matter) are dialed in for this sort of thing. How does the Axe-Fx fair in this department?

3. How is the effects loop configurable? Can the L/R be tapped off any locations in the tone path, or is it limited to one side or the other (like in the X3 Pro :noplease:)?

4. The harmonizer. How good is it really? No Fractal Cult bullshit: How does is sound, and how does it track? I need to know if my Eventide Pitch Factor goes into the firesale lot or not. :squint:

I guess that's all I have for now. Sorry to be so long winded. :ugh:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I want it!!!

Right now to use the Axe Fx through my computer I use a 1/4" into the guitar input of my POD Studio UX2.

How would I hook it up to the computer properly to receive the firmware updates?

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
So I would have to see if the POD has an input for MIDI then, or are you talking about a MIDI to USB cable?

HANIAK

Reaction score
The UX2 does not have a midi in/out, so the cheapest way to go would be buying a Midi in/out to USB cable, indeed.
But beware that some midi-usb cables do not support sysx midi messages (the ones you need to send to the AxeFX yo update your firmware), so choose carefully.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
The UX2 does not have a midi in/out, so the cheapest way to go would be buying a Midi in/out to USB cable, indeed.
But beware that some midi-usb cables do not support sysx midi messages (the ones you need to send to the AxeFX yo update your firmware), so choose carefully.

Awesome, thanks for your help dude. I had seen some people give mixed reviews about the MIDI to USB cables so I wasn't sure if they were the right way to go.

What about the MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface? Does anyone know if that would be good to get?

rasse

Reaction score
So the Axe finally arrived and I've been reading tips, tweaking the shit out of everything, playing the presets etc, the basic stuff that you do when you get it. :D I also ordered a Swissonic midi/USB cable from Thomann with the cables, speakers and audio interface. Now it seems that this Swissonic 1x1 cable belongs to the infamous bunch of midi/usb cables that cant send sysex data. Does anyone else have the same (http://images6.thomann.de/pics/bdb/185425/1453683_800.jpg) cable or am I just doing something wrong?

Though my computer actually did recognize the connection when I first did it, but after a while it just didn't do it anymore. I could edit the presets in Axe Edit but couldn't import them into the Axe. I don't know if this would've been fixable with some reinstallation etc but I didn't have the time to actually try to fix it because the blinking light on my Axe just stopped blinking after I flicked the power switch off and on again.

Also, I have my whole setup currently like this:

Guitar -> Axe FX -> KRK Rokit rp5 (XLR output 1)
------------------> Lexicon Omega (TRS output 2) -> PC (USB)

The problem here is that I can't get my computer to notice my guitar signal well. I can only see small bumps on the recorded tracks but nothing audible. If I connect my guitar straight to the Omega it just gives me a clean channel without the axe.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Also, I have my whole setup currently like this:

Guitar -> Axe FX -> KRK Rokit rp5 (XLR output 1)
------------------> Lexicon Omega (TRS output 2) -> PC (USB)

The problem here is that I can't get my computer to notice my guitar signal well. I can only see small bumps on the recorded tracks but nothing audible. If I connect my guitar straight to the Omega it just gives me a clean channel without the axe.

Welcome to the club! I think somewhere under I/O or system menus is the option to mirror output 1 to output 2 - I may have that backwards though. You should check in there and see that you are in fact sending out the same signal from the Axe to your RP5's AND your Lexicon.

An easy way to check would be to unplug the lines going from the Axe to your RP5s and just plug them straight into the Lexicon. If you have sound, you should be good to go. Also note that on the Lexicon, at least for me, I have it set to 100% wet. That is the wet/dry mix knob at the bottom next to the front input jack on the Lexi is set 100% clockwise, to about 5 o'clock or whatever it is.

Hope that helps!

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
When does the standard version come out? Fractal's site isn't loading for me...

They really need a better web hosting solution. Usually firmware for the standard comes out a day or two later (sometimes more, sometimes less).

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
I'll be taking the axe-fx plunge sometime within the next week or so. I've done a fair amount of reading, but I know for sure there's tons more ground for me to cover. I'm not going to be running a power amp for now. I intend on my setup looking like this. Please let me know what's wrong with it, if there is anything wrong with it !

Guitar--> Axe-Fx--->Firewire interface---> Computer

I intend on using studio headphones and powered monitors. Where in this chain do the powered monitors go? Also, the midi to USB goes from the axe into the interface right? and then the Firewire goes from the interface to the PC?

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
I'll be taking the axe-fx plunge sometime within the next week or so. I've done a fair amount of reading, but I know for sure there's tons more ground for me to cover. I'm not going to be running a power amp for now. I intend on my setup looking like this. Please let me know what's wrong with it, if there is anything wrong with it !

Guitar--> Axe-Fx--->Firewire interface---> Computer

I intend on using studio headphones and powered monitors. Where in this chain do the powered monitors go? Also, the midi to USB goes from the axe into the interface right? and then the Firewire goes from the interface to the PC?

I think the layout you have will work. As far as the powered monitors go, I think it depends on your firewire interface. It must have some kind of monitor out (besides headphones) no? If it does, that's where you'd plug in your monitors. That or a separate mixer somewhere in the chain. And yes, to my knowledge, you'd go from the USB MIDI to the axe (and back) depending on your setup...

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
For the record, you CAN update your firmware and edit patches with any cheap USB to MIDI cables. I updated mine this morning and have been editing patches for a week. You just can't get the computer to read what's on your axe-fx, you can't recall a patch from your axe-fx using the software.

PROBLEM SOLVED though! Got the new breakout cable for my 1010LT just now and Axe-Edit is fully functional!

If anybody is interested in the cheap adapter cables I have two sets :lol: one unopened!

teqnick

Reaction score
Thanks Orb! Its almost beginning to make perfect sense. I have to do some interface shopping, but i'm leaning towards a profire610 by M-audio. I don't have any doubts that this whole setup won't work. It's just a matter of making sure it will before I go out and purchase everything haha

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
4. The harmonizer. How good is it really? No Fractal Cult bullshit: How does is sound, and how does it track? I need to know if my Eventide Pitch Factor goes into the firesale lot or not. :squint:

Hello, my Core-free brother. I recorded these for gameboypdc from this forum. Keep in mind that this was in December of last year and the Axe-FX has gone through a couple firmware upgrade since. I think these still sound good. Let me know if you want to hear something else.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED though! Got the new breakout cable for my 1010LT just now and Axe-Edit is fully functional!

Really? Were you able to update the firmware with the 1010LT? I spent months trying to figure out why I couldn't update my firmware, but when I got a new PreSonus interface, it worked flawlessly, so I assumed the M-Audio card just wasn't compatible with the Axe-FX for firmware updates.

teqnick

Reaction score
Tom, which PreSonus interface did you end up going with?

')