Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Does "power surges or sags" appear in for example European countries?

That is dependant upon both the general elctric network and your home cables. If the elecrtic stuff hasn't been redone in your house in 50 years...^^
After that I suppose it depends which country you live in, I haven't had any broad power issues in western europe that I can remember. But if you're a touring musician, better safe than sorry, as you likely won't be able just to grab another axe fx to finish your tour as you could any amp head on the market.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Does "power surges or sags" appear in for example European countries?

I'm afraid they can happen anywhere if the electricity is poorly done or there are devices that cause enough interference. I live in a flat built in the 70's, and i guess since there's no grounding in the plugs, i sometimes get weird tingling sensations (very weak but i don't like the fact it happens) on my fingers if i've the rack (samson power conditioner, axe-fx, rocktron velocity 120) + midi pedal on and use the mouse pad of my mac book while touching the strings...

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Ok here's a question (didn't get clarity on this although i searched from the Fractal forum and from the Axe-Fx wiki):

How can i map to some of my own presets, which are saved to 256 and onwards? I understand that i could just overwrite some of the first 128 presets with my own ones, but is there a way to go around that if i wanna keep all the factory presets in the Axe?

Cheers!

EDIT: i'm using an old Digitech Control 8 and currently not able to use the Axe Edit (had bought Midisport Uno without knowing about the compatibility issues, returned it, and still thinking about the other options)

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The factory presets are available for download, just put your stuff in 0-127 and put the two preset banks 128 onwards. You *will* need MIDI for that though. ^^
The hard way is copying the presets one by one to free slots and copying your own back to what has been saved.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Ok, i guess i'll just do that then once i get my the MIDI interface. Thanks!!

Omrat

Reaction score
After much A/B testing I personally find that 1/4" cables (George L's in my case) sound the best between the Axe and sound card. Granted I haven't used any significantly expensive XLR cables, but to me regular teles give a nice warm, natural tone whereas XLR and SPDIF give a fizzier high-end.

Can You describe exact Your connection between Axe FX and audio interface ? ( how many cables, which inputs and outputs and so on ).
I have some wierd noise issues with new audio interface and I'm suspecting that something is wrong with the connection.

Thanks,
Omrat

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Using a powered cab eliminates the need for a power amp, right? If so, has anyone used used both setups and have a preference for either?

Yes

Your preference really depends on whether you want to use real guitar speakers or the Axe-Fx cabinet simulations. Having a separate power amp lets you choose between tube or solid state. Most, if not all, powered speakers (cabs) have built-in SS power amps, not tube.

Hope that helps you. :yesway:

My preference is powered speaker. Compact, simple, and I use cab sims.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can You describe exact Your connection between Axe FX and audio interface ? ( how many cables, which inputs and outputs and so on ).
I have some wierd noise issues with new audio interface and I'm suspecting that something is wrong with the connection.

Thanks,
Omrat

Out of output 1 either in mono or stereo, into any input on the sound card that accomodates a 1/4" plug. I've tried both instrument inputs and line inputs but can't really hear much of a difference.

Reaction score
Yes

Your preference really depends on whether you want to use real guitar speakers or the Axe-Fx cabinet simulations. Having a separate power amp lets you choose between tube or solid state. Most, if not all, powered speakers (cabs) have built-in SS power amps, not tube.

Hope that helps you. :yesway:

My preference is powered speaker. Compact, simple, and I use cab sims.

Thanks!:yesway:

It seems like the powered speaker option is both cheaper and offers a wider range of options for tone. From what I've gathered, it seems like Mackey is a pretty good brand for speakers. Do you have any preferences or suggestions? What sizes are good for what locales?

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

It seems like the powered speaker option is both cheaper and offers a wider range of options for tone. From what I've gathered, it seems like Mackey is a pretty good brand for speakers. Do you have any preferences or suggestions? What sizes are good for what locales?

I use a PP1202A from www.onlyfactorydirect.com for my DigiTech RP500. Not the best speaker, but better than a lot of the others that cost about twice the price (which were JBLs).

The almost undisputed king of Axe-Fx FRFR (Full-Range Flat-Response) PA speakers is the QSC K series. The K8, K10, and K12 are $650, $700, and $800 respectively however they all feature the same inputs and outputs and all have 1000 watts of power :eek:. The K10 is usually the best for weight (32lbs.) and you still get a lot of bass despite just a 10" speaker thanks to QSC over-excursion prevention technology. In English that means it keeps the speaker from blowing because of too much bass :yesway:.
The K10 is what I would get if I were making the decision and I would get 2 if I wanted stereo effects.

Omrat

Reaction score
Out of output 1 either in mono or stereo, into any input on the sound card that accomodates a 1/4" plug. I've tried both instrument inputs and line inputs but can't really hear much of a difference.

Thanks for the info :yesway:

getaway_fromme

Reaction score

I'm gettig a pair of Jbl Prx635's, and eventually add a sub or two. I'm also going for mackie's 802-vlz3 so its basically a sick band PA as well as my power and speakers :) Man, I can't WAIT to mic the kick drum. So dope.....

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
hey guys, just wondering. one of the other guitar players in my band just picked up a sonic maximizer, completely just ballsed up the tone, i was wondering if it is necessary to run one with the axe fx in a live rig through a power amp and cab. the way i see it, i can dial in anything with the axe but does the sonic maximizer really do something that i cant replicate with the axe? also since hes got one and the bassist has one too. the singer wants me to get one.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
oh, im going to be ordering an ultra tomorrow, im most likely going to be getting the rocktron velocity 300 as a power amp. it seems to be getting alot of love here so for the price, is their really anything better than that i could get? i cant spend more than 400 on one though. its either this or the QSC ones but i like the tone controls that the rocktron has.

also are vader 4x12's good companions for the axe?

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
hey guys, just wondering. one of the other guitar players in my band just picked up a sonic maximizer, completely just ballsed up the tone, i was wondering if it is necessary to run one with the axe fx in a live rig through a power amp and cab.

I'd say no - the BBE will appear to make a sonic difference on tube amps, but when it comes to modeling I think it would actually hurt your tone more than improve it. :nono:

oh, im going to be ordering an ultra tomorrow, im most likely going to be getting the rocktron velocity 300 as a power amp. it seems to be getting alot of love here so for the price, is their really anything better than that i could get? i cant spend more than 400 on one though. its either this or the QSC ones but i like the tone controls that the rocktron has.

also are vader 4x12's good companions for the axe?

Your cab is your cab - there really isn't such a thing as a bad match to me as long as its decently built which yours is. Your obviously going to have to fiddle a little bit with settings to get it to a tone you like but thats the case with any piece of equipment.

The power amp question depends on your taste. People like the clean power from a solid state power amp while I tend to prefer a tubed power amp, especially if its a solid state preamp. If you were to consider looking into a tube poweramp I'd recommend checking out a used Carvin TS100, or even a used Mesa power amp should fall in your budget.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
I'd say no - the BBE will appear to make a sonic difference on tube amps, but when it comes to modeling I think it would actually hurt your tone more than improve it. :nono:

Your cab is your cab - there really isn't such a thing as a bad match to me as long as its decently built which yours is. Your obviously going to have to fiddle a little bit with settings to get it to a tone you like but thats the case with any piece of equipment.

The power amp question depends on your taste. People like the clean power from a solid state power amp while I tend to prefer a tubed power amp, especially if its a solid state preamp. If you were to consider looking into a tube poweramp I'd recommend checking out a used Carvin TS100, or even a used Mesa power amp should fall in your budget.

alright. i dont really want to buy a BBE if i dont have to. you know what i just thought about? i can just throw one of theirs on the axe when i get it then i can make my decision. :nuts: dont know why i didnt think about that before... anyways, i think ill be better off with solid state, i want transparency, what do i have to loose, some punch maybe? ill just dial some in with the axe.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
holy shit, its here already... it only took 2 days!

anyways i need a little help getting started, i was recommended that SPDIF was the best way to connect the axe to my presonus firepod. and i know ill need some MIDI cables to use axe edit and to update firmware and bla bla. now i was also told to hear myself through my computer i would need to plug some monitors into the firepod.

anything else?

')