Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
very very broad question so I am sorry for the "noobieness"

so I am running my Ultra through a Carvin ts100 into a cab. I am working on a live tone and right now I just have an overdrive pedal in front of the amp block and then the amp block. I have a general eq following that. (I play death metal btw)

what other effects/features of the ultra do you guys think I am missing in my chain? I feel like for a rythem sound I am being to simplistic with the unit. I am generally happy with my tone but everyone knows that can be improved.

The dual amp feature is really good, maybe you can come up with some awesome combinations. Though my best results with my axe have come from running 2 blocks of USA Lead. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jeb

Reaction score
Hey guys!! very long time I didn't post here... what an idea to have 2 kids :nuts:

Anyway!! I just make the jump and I'm wainting my axe-fx ultra in 2 weeks.

I saw a video of a guy who run is electric guitar with piezo in the axe fx. I use an input for the electric side and the other for the piezo.. One output for is power amp, and an other output how goes to the pa for the acoustic sound. With the patch builded for that like a row with some blocks for the piezo and another row with blocks for the electric sound.

I'm wondering if I can do the same thing but I would like to work like this and I don't know if you guys can confirm that I can do this exact thing :

Input one ----- Magnetic pickup
Input two ---- Piezo pickup

Hook up the axe fx in stereo to my marshall 9200 power (patches without cab and power sim)
Hook up the axe fx to the PA in mono (using same patches splitted with the power and cab sim to ON)
Hook up an other output to the PA for the piezo sound

I'm pretty sure I can do this kind of setup by using the 9200 in mono with the axe in mono but using it in stereo will be a little plus hehe

Thanks!!
Jeb

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
The dual amp feature is really good, maybe you can come up with some awesome combinations. Though my best results with my axe have come from running 2 blocks of USA Lead. :lol:

I have alot of trouble fine tuning the sounds of the second amp. Do you mix the level of the second amp lower than the first amp?

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Anyone have any success with or know of any decent MIDI to USB adapters that I could use with my Axe Ultra until I have the cash for a decent interface?

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
I just got my AXE FX2 on Tuesday! Never played a unit like this. Always a tube guy until now! Only played on Tuesday for a few hours as work calls. I took off tomorrow so that I can play around with it. So far this is awesome! I have it hooked up to an EVLX112P speaker and it kicks. I can play at reasonable levels yet crank it and keep up with my drummer. :hbang: I tried to run the firmware update to 5.07 and when I hook the unit up to my macbook it shows that is is running but I know something is not right. Please help me with this update process. I have the download in my computer but yet it does not seem to work. BTW I haven't even played with tweaking and so far my favorite presets are 22, 29, 33, 35, 37. :shred:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Just received my Standard yesterday. I have a lot to learn. :lol: I basically just have it running through two stereo speakers at the moment (which I've used for all of my recording), and it seems fine. I'm waiting on my MIDI to USB cord to get here. Will that be a good enough method to record digitally with? I know the majority of people use audio interfaces, but would the MIDI to USB work just as well?

mwcarl

Reaction score
You can't use MIDI to record, you need an audio interface. One of the reasons that people are stepping up to the AXFX2.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
So what's my most inexpensive option, without getting something pure shit?

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
Midi to usb is good enough.Besides the quality of your recordings really depend on what your audience/online followers are listening it through.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
6.0 is tentatively scheduled for the 23 along with an axe edit and MFC update. Can't wait to test it I have some sound files ready for tonematching. :D

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
TODAY feels like "VERY SOON" to me - Page 9

300-rainbow-puke.jpg

Its updates like this that justify the price of the AxeFX for me.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Midi to usb is good enough.Besides the quality of your recordings really depend on what your audience/online followers are listening it through.

I ordered this.
31dGzmUIp6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That should at least be able to get Axe Edit to work, right? Obviously there's no audio connection to my computer so I can't record any sound. I'm just curious if there's a cheaper option to be able to use it on my laptop to record instead of spending $250 on an audio interface like a PreSonus interface. For instance, could I use something like this to just get the audio signal from my Axe-FX to Cubase?

EDIT: Nevermind. Regardless, I need help. :lol:

mwcarl

Reaction score
I ordered this.

That should at least be able to get Axe Edit to work, right? Obviously there's no audio connection to my computer so I can't record any sound. I'm just curious if there's a cheaper option to be able to use it on my laptop to record instead of spending $250 on an audio interface like a PreSonus interface. For instance, could I use something like this to just get the audio signal from my Axe-FX to Cubase?

I'd post at the Fractal Audio forums (see also their wiki for tips and howtos) to figure out what USB to MIDI adapter will work. You'll probably also get more Axe FX related help there, if your questions haven't already been answered there. I recall that some don't support certain messages that Axe-Edit requires. I've done almost no recording before, but I'm under the impression that you don't have to spend $250 to get an audio interface that sounds okay/good. Maybe around $100 for an M-Audio Fast Track?

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I ordered this.

I got one of these originally with my first Axe-FX. I was able to use that for updating firmware, but couldn't get it to work when using Axe-edit. It just wouldn't ever connect. The Midisport Uno is the cheapest alternative I found.

')