This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Axe-Fx II Tone Matching Tutorial - YouTube

Just saw this, looks like there is no reason to get a kemper anymore. I mean it demonstrates the technique on an recorded song but i can only imagine all the crazy amps people will profile with this.

don't really wanna jack the trhead away from AXE FX goodness, but the Kemper is still cheaper and better distribution all around, not needing it ANYMORE< i don't see that happening. I can get a Kemper for $1600 Canadian, in store, downtown Toronto. the AXE FX 2 is $2200 with coupon, and then add shipping, taxes and duties for it coming into Canada.

it's still a far cheaper product for Europeans and Canadians, and still cheaper for US residents. and many have said that they can get a tone from a mic-ed amp and tweak it easier than trying to tweak something good sounding out of the AXFX.

we shall see with time, but i think i'll still go Kemper. Why tweak for days from stock or others patches when i can mic up my fav sounding head and cabs with the mics i like and even further tweak the profile of the sound i like.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
The difference between the 2 IMO comes down to what you have acess to.

If you dont have consitent ascess to nice amp that you can profile, the axe provides more options in the box and is a bit more flexible.

But if you already have acess to lots of good amps and just want a library of tone, then the kemper seems to be a better buy

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Kempers cool, if you own a studio and have access to
all the things the Axe already offers.

Aftermath1

Reaction score
Second part to the first tone matching video I linked, just come out.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Kempers cool, if you own a studio and have access to
all the things the Axe already offers.

it has EQs, effects, amp models provided, plus you can download amp profiles from anywhere on the internet. and is it really that hard to go to a friends house and mic his rig and get some of the tones, all free (cept the kemper of course)

i beleive with time the axe fx could def give the kemper a run for it's money with tone matching and maybe one day it's own full form profiling. and let's be honest the axe already has a massive headstart on the kemper.

i don't see limitations on the kemper like some do, you don't need to have a studio (although it's nice), you can snag profiles from anywhere, and there will be more as popularity grows, and many have said they like how much simpler it is to tweak something to their liking that with the axe fx

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
the axe actually requires less and less tweaking. Presets sound better out of the box over time and updates, and the matched knobs make it way easier to dial in for someone used to amps and not so much with digital equipment.
Patches are becoming simpler, you don't have to pile EQs, blocks, filters etc anymore to get a good sound. A simple cab+amp setting and you're halfway there. Using the advanced parameters is less and less necessary, some people still do it out of mere habit.

Not to say its better than the kemper or anything, especially since I nver tried a kemper myself. but the Axe II isn't the tweaking nightmare some people say, except if you're one of those persons anal retentive about that bump at 6842hz using two multitap delays at once.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I can dig that Fractal is making their product more and more user friendly, over time it could vary wel come down to just price between the two, who knows.

even if the two were exactly the same, i think i'll go with whats cheaper and more accessible (still waiting on them coming to stores here though)

if i could afford it i would be all over an AXE FX 2 in a mere heartbeat, i've always wanted one. just can't fathom footing another $600, even before shipping and taxes, when i can get what i want already local and cheaper. really probably just gunna come down to price between the two really

Anywho i'm not gunna keep posting in the axe fx thread this whole Kemper Vs Axe Fx thing, this space is for the Axe fx and i shall keep it as such.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
I just got rid of my EV EXP112P. They sounded okay, but they really get boomy for anything tuned below B.

I just got an EV EXP112P two weeks ago and I am running straight into the Axe Fx2. Mind you all this is new to me but so far I think this kicks. I'll know sometime next week when I get my Carvin DC 700 setup down a whole step. I wanted to get a Mackie but a got I good deal on the EV.

Weimat01

Reaction score
Hey guys, My macbook pro has stopped connecting to my axe FX II. The axe fx works fine on its own, but the midi inputs don't show up on the mac in the system preferences anymore. I just updated the firmware, so that might have something to do with it. Any ideas?

Edit: Reinstalled mac drivers and it works fine now :)

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good death metal patch that they mind sharing? I would really appreciate it. If so, can you please pm me. I am tweaking and getting some decent tones but I would like to see how others are creating patches so that I can learn. I will definately share some patches once I feel I have made some good ones.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
It seems like nobody discusses the standard or the Ultra in here anymore, and it's mainly just the two. Since patches are incompatible, should there perhaps be another thread made specifically for the two?

Latest posts

')