lewstherin006

Reaction score
Got an email from fractal saying it had to be replaced. Still waiting for the seller to get online and respond to work something out. It would be $40 to replace plus shipping both ways, which I really wish was listed in the sale description.

if the buyer doesnt help you out, leave him negative feed back and burn him hard. That will teach him. Even if he didnt know about it or didnt check it, it is on him to make it right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Okay, i hope to buy an Axe FX Ultra or the Axe FX II by the end of this year. No guarantee's though. I don't know a whole lot about them but i know enough to know that i want one ha. The one thing i want to know at the moment is what i can hook it up to for the audio. I have a small Marshall MG15 amp and i was just planning on using the Axe FX and using one of the amps and creating my own patch. So could i just get an Axe FX and like maybe a 4x12 guitar Cabinet or smaller and just hook the Axe Fx into the cab and not use the cab function on the axe FX and be done with it or? Im pretty much trying to go the easiest way without having to get mics and/or a mixing board and all that.

- Thank you

If you get an Axe FX II, there is no need for a mixing board, or anything like that.

Before getting into what you need, let me clarify the parts needed to make an amp. You have the Preamp, the Poweramp, and the Speaker Cabinet.

The preamp is the source of (most of) the sound. This is where the distortion comes from and where the EQ is. The poweramp makes it loud enough to hear, this is where the Master, Resonance and Presence controls are. it also imparts a certain distortion/compression/eq into the tone. The cabinet is where the speakers are, that part is simple. Your marshall MG is all of these in one (combo amp).

The Axe FX (Ultra and II) is only a Preamp. It includes poweramp modeling and cab modeling, meaning it simulates how these things affect the sound, however you still need a separate poweramp to make it loud, and a cabinet to project the sound.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to modelers; those who use the modeler for the full chain, including preamp/poweramp/cabinet sound, and then running the Axe FX direct into a PA speaker or studio monitors. The second school of thought involves turning off cab modeling and using a physical guitar cab (1x12, 2x12, 4x12, whatever you want). The second method is easier, since you don't have to mess around with impulses, finding the one that is right for you, you just need a cab you like. It is less flexible though, as you're stuck with one cabinet sound. You can use a solidstate poweramp that doesn't affect the tone (or at least, doesn't affect the tone much), or you can use a tube poweramp (and turn off poweramp modeling in the Axe FX). But again, this reduces the units flexibility, since you're now stuck with all the associated downsides of a tube poweramp, like weight, the affect on the tone (one poweramp sound versus the many available from the Axe FX), the change in tone depending on the volume, etc.

So, you get an Axe FX, what do you need to make it loud? If you want maximum flexibility, just get a Powered PA speaker. A powered PA speaker contains a solidstate poweramp (designed to be flat response) which feeds into a PA woofer and tweeter (designed to be full range). Therefore, full range, flat response, or FRFR. You may see FRFR mentioned, this is what it means. Studio monitors are also FRFR. Powered studio monitors can also be plugged direct into the output on the back of the Axe FX.

Bare in mind, Passive PA speakers and Passive Studio Monitors do exist, you need a seperate poweramp with these.

If you want to skip using impulses/cab models, you can get a guitar cabinet of your choice, like you said above. Guitar cabinets are not FRFR, nowhere near in fact, so you want to make sure Cab Modeling is OFF in the Axe FX. If it's on, it will make everything sound bad. Dark, muddy, rumbly, since you're essentially running one cab into another.

So where do you start with poweramps to run into the cabinet? I would recommend a solidstate poweramp so you can take advantage of the poweramp modeling in the Axe FX, and not worry about needing it to be a certain volume to sound good. I don't have a ton of experience in solidstate poweramps, but I have heard good things about Matrix (I think this is one of the expensive options), and ISP, QSC, Rocktron velocity, etc. Someone more knowledgeable in this arena can help.

Axe FX II does have additional advantages regarding inputs/outputs. The Axe FX has a headphone output, as well as a USB interface built in, so you can plug USB direct into the computer. You can record silently over USB as well as edit tones using the Axe Edit program. The Standard/Ultra has neither of these, so you need an external headphone amp to use headphones, and a USB audio interface to record direct. You can still use Axe Edit to edit patches but I think you may need a midi interface or something? I've never used a Standard/Ultra, I got on board with the II.

Elric

Reaction score
Okay, i hope to buy an Axe FX Ultra or the Axe FX II by the end of this year. No guarantee's though. I don't know a whole lot about them but i know enough to know that i want one ha. The one thing i want to know at the moment is what i can hook it up to for the audio. I have a small Marshall MG15 amp and i was just planning on using the Axe FX and using one of the amps and creating my own patch. So could i just get an Axe FX and like maybe a 4x12 guitar Cabinet or smaller and just hook the Axe Fx into the cab and not use the cab function on the axe FX and be done with it or? Im pretty much trying to go the easiest way without having to get mics and/or a mixing board and all that.

- Thank you
You could use just headphones and have the world's best/most expensive headphone amp.

Seriously though, you'll probably want a powered monitor at a minimum. With a 4x12 you'd still need a power amp.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
if the buyer doesnt help you out, leave him negative feed back and burn him hard. That will teach him. Even if he didnt know about it or didnt check it, it is on him to make it right.

Yeah, make sure the seller makes it right, but there's no reason to burn the seller if he makes it right. It sounds to me like something the seller wasn't aware of, or could have maybe even happened during shipping. 99% of the time, these issues are easily resolved, assuming both parties stay civil.

I actually had something similar happen to an Ultra I received from somebody a long while back. I ended up just reversing the trade with the guy, but it ended up being something goofy like a dirty contact or some other cheap fix. I don't really know anything about electronics, obviously :lol:

Tyler

Reaction score
It prolly will actually cost you more in shipping than to actually get the unit fixed.

Yeah the guy said he didnt even know it was an issue, but was aware of it. I only knew it was because I had an Axe before and remembered actively using the output knob. Havent heard from him in a few days again, so no details have been worked out for how this will be handled. It came in the original packaging and the mold, so I think it was busted from the beginning when he first got it from Fractal and he just didnt know about it.

mongey

Reaction score
Been trying out my xl with the band and working out best way to do it. Got to play through a qsc k12 last night and it blew me away. Wasn't sure what to expect as I haven't used a frfr before and I thought it slayed.

mongey

Reaction score
Don't know about upgrading just for that though. Is it a huge CPU hog?

Yek said on the forum it adds 2% when you turn it on and play. Not too bad.

It's interesting this has come out Same day as the kemper pure cab thing. Seems to be very similar ideas

I'm gonna install it today to check out.

mongey

Reaction score
so just had a play with the dephase and I like what it does .over 5 it got a little too smooth but def a great addition. at 5 it just seeks to take a little rough edge away from the IR and does give it a bit more amp in the room sound

I was only using it with my aka's so I need to pump it into the studio monitors later to really see

thesockmonster

Reaction score
Mesa 2:90 vs Matrix SS poweramps. Go.

I have a Matrix GT1000FX now, and I find it doesn't have the punch of my other tube amps. Comparisons/opinions?

thesockmonster

Reaction score
New to recording...Axe FX II with Scarlett 2i2 low monitor output

I'm new to recording, and my overall goal is to run this setup:

Axe FX II > Scarlett Line Input > USB to PC > Scarlett Output to 2X Yamaha HS5.

I've got VERY little latency right now, which is great. Problem is, I'm getting extremely low monitor output from the Scarlett, even with the Monitor knob almost maxed. Axe > HS5 direct is hella loud, so it's not the HS5s.

Any suggestions? Is this just how the Scarletts are, with low output? Should I try another interface?

Tyler

Reaction score
New to recording...Axe FX II with Scarlett 2i2 low monitor output

I'm new to recording, and my overall goal is to run this setup:

Axe FX II > Scarlett Line Input > USB to PC > Scarlett Output to 2X Yamaha HS5.

I've got VERY little latency right now, which is great. Problem is, I'm getting extremely low monitor output from the Scarlett, even with the Monitor knob almost maxed. Axe > HS5 direct is hella loud, so it's not the HS5s.

Any suggestions? Is this just how the Scarletts are, with low output? Should I try another interface?

sounds like your 2i2 is a dud, definitely not like that usually

haffner1

Reaction score
I think that was written out incorrectly by whoever reported it. It should be from 512->768 now so another 256 based on a post from Cliff today.

Nope. The original request was for it to match the number of presets, but he went beyond that. I have the beta installed and it shows an additional 512 on mine.

')